Cl铆odhna
WeddingWire Administrator January 2030

Photography - Splurge or Save?

Cl铆odhna, on September 17, 2019 at 11:05 AM Posted in Planning 1 102
Saved Save

Strike a pose! 馃摳 Are you sparing no expense on your wedding photographer? Or did you look for a photographer with a budget-friendly package?

Are you splurging or saving on your photographer?

Photography - Splurge or Save? 1

Photo by Mallory Sparkles

Next Question: Attire?

Back to the Beginning: Splurge or Save?

102 Comments

• Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber
    • Flag

Splurge! This is the vendor we're spending the most for out of everything, but I still think we got a crazy good deal!

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn
    • Flag

Meh, somewhere in between. We were prepared to spend a pretty penny on photography since it was our top priority, but I think we got a pretty good deal.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey
    • Flag

In between. The photographer I found was much more reasonably priced than anyone else in my area because she is from a smaller town outside of where I live. But her pictures are amazing so I feel like I saved but will still get awesome pictures.

• Jen
    Super May 2018
    Jen
    • Flag

A mix of both. We found a photographer with reasonably priced packages and were able to pick a fantastic package that was in our budget. And, our pictures turned out phenominal.

• Erin
    Rockstar June 2021
    Erin
    • Flag
    We鈥檙e looking for a budget friendly photographer. I can鈥檛 spend thousands on a photographer, even if their pictures are gorgeous.
  • Ashley
    Dedicated May 2020
    Ashley
    • Flag
    Splurge extra splurge. I wanted a really good photographer so we budgeted for one. But then my fiance decided he wanted her most expensive package so we went over our photography budget and tweaked other areas.
  • Sara
    Expert June 2020
    Sara
    • Flag

For us this was a splurge or at least it feels that way. It is about 15% of our budget and that is not including engagement session which I very much want.

• Rebecca
    Expert January 2020
    Rebecca
    • Flag

As other's have said, in between. We budgeted for a pricey photographer, but luckily found someone in the middle range and scored a good deal!

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027
    • Flag

Saved. We picked the cheapest option because we don't like doing posed photos

• Amanda
    Expert October 2019
    Amanda
    • Flag
    Saved, kind of. Our photographer & wedding planner our friends & she offered us a deal since we were using that planner. Still $1000 but a lot cheaper than most photographers in this area.
  • H
    Super September 2019
    H
    • Flag
    Splurge. Luckily my lifelong bestfriend is a photographer and asked to do our photos for us since we are eloping! If we had continued planning a wedding, we definitely would have splurged!
  • Tayla
    Dedicated March 2020
    Tayla
    • Flag
    Definitely Splurge!! We didn鈥檛 want to skimp on our photography because that鈥檚 all we will have left! But our photographer is really good with pricing so we didn鈥檛 splurge a ton.
  • Yam
    VIP September 2019
    Yam
    • Flag
    Save. I still wanted pro photography so I just cut the hours.
  • Laura
    Rockstar November 2019
    Laura
    • Flag
    Save. I got a basic package with 4 hours of coverage. Just enough to go from pre-wedding family/wedding party pics to (possibly) sunset pics.

We paid separately for an engagement shoot and were thrilled with the results, so I no longer felt bad about booking cheap.
  • Holly
    Dedicated March 2020
    Holly
    • Flag

Splurge! Pictures capture all of the memories of your wedding day. I want to look back and love my pictures. My photographer was one thing that I was super picky about.

• K
    Expert February 2020
    Kristina
    • Flag

I am not sure if it was a splurge but it certanitly was our most expensive vendor. We own a engagement shoot with them and ended up skipping that and just going with them for the actual day based on their portfolio.

• Jamie
    Devoted May 2020
    Jamie
    • Flag
    Saved - we found an amazing photographer who is well known in the community. He sets his pricing lower specifically for people who don't have a big budget.

We also had my little sister do our engagement photos for free Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Dedicated October 2021
    Tori
    • Flag

I'm a little bias, because I am a wedding videographer and I value video a little more. So we're actually going to save a little on our photos and splurge on our video.

• Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren
    • Flag

Technically we saved because it was under budget but we are getting 2 photographers and 2 videographers for 12+ hours for around $5K in the LA area.

• Catherine
    VIP November 2019
    Catherine
    • Flag

Well if you talk to my FH we splurged - which was not what he wanted for this. But for me being an art student and taking photography and design classes I am willing to pay for quality work! Especially because its not something you can do over again. In my eyes - we are paying a very good price for two photographers! everyone else i looked at was at least double the price.

Comment on this discussion