Amanda
Super October 2013

NYC Honeymoon

Amanda, on October 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM Posted in Honeymoon

FH and I have chosen NYC as our honeymoon destination for next October. Neither of us have been so we are looking for people to suggest things to do. We will be hitting a Broadway show, Yankee Stadium, a TV taping or two (or three), WTC Memorial and probably a few iconic buildings. We would love to hit a bar off the beaten path and we love mom & pop eateries. Any suggestions on things to do/see and places to eat and/or drink would be appreciated. Oh and we are planning on a 7 day trip so about 5 days to actually do things. Thanks!

Share:

23 Comments

• Vanessa R.
    VIP February 2014
    Vanessa R. ·

I live in NYC and there are soooooooooo many things to do. As far as eating can't go wrong with Little Italy or China Town, and for bars there are plenty in the Village (MacDougal st). What part of NYC are you planning on staying, it will make it easier to help direct you. Also October is a beautiful time to check out Central Park

• Amanda
    Super October 2013
    Amanda ·

Central Park....oh yeah, can't visit NYC without a trip to Central Park! Thanks for the reminder, that's going on the list. Not sure where we are staying yet, I'm hoping to be able to sit down with my FH to discuss that this week. Any suggestions on places to stay though?? It would be nice to be "central" to things we are doing, not sure if that helps with location lol.

• Jen
    Master March 2014
    Jen ·

I also live in NYC, and I have to ask, why Yankee Stadium? LOL. As an avid Mets fan, I have to tell you that CitiField is by far much nicer. But that's my humble opinion.

You can't go wrong with what Vanessa suggested. Food wise, definitely hit Little Italy and Chinatown. If you want a really good steak (be prepared to pay high prices) there's Delmonico's and Del Frisco's. Been to both, and they're soooo good.

Don't forget to do some window shopping along 5th Avenue and Madison north of 42nd Street. All the designer boutiques are there.

If you plan on going to the WTC Memorial, you need to purchase tickets in advance. I don't know how long the wait is now, but when it first opened it was an 8 month wait. I'd suggest buying them now.

You must hit the museums too. The Met, MoMA, Museum of Natural History with the planetarium just to name a few. And you MUST get your picture taken in front of the fountain at Lincoln Center. Very nice place.

• Jen
    Master March 2014
    Jen ·

And when you run out of money and still need a bite to eat, Grey's Papaya (hot dogs and other stuff) is uber cheap and really tasty! There are some really good food trucks in and around Manhattan too. DomoTaco has Korean barbecue tacos! OMG, sooo good. If you're on Twitter, you can follow them at @DomoTaco. They post their location each day. Mostly in Midtown.

• Celia Milton
    March 2019
    Celia Milton ·

Don't miss the Red Rooster, in West Harlem; the coolest cocktails, fabulous music, great food. Meatpacking district for clubs, restaurants cool shopping. Eddie Shopsin's crazy restaurant downtown. Don't miss the Cloisters, way up at the tippy top of the island. And Brooklyn, on the other end (especially for funky Dumbo bars).

Places to stay? We've recently stayed at the Sheraton Four Corners, near Times Square and it was not very pricy (by NY standards) and really nice. (The also have a hotel is Chelsea.) I happen to love all the Kimpton hotels in the city; I think there are about five of them, all quirky and different. The Roger is great; so is the Muse.

It is beautiful here now! You'll have a ball!

• Amanda
    Super October 2013
    Amanda ·

@Jennifer, Yankee Stadium because I'm a Yankee fan, but I'm also a baseball buff and would like to see ALL the baseball stadiums in the U.S. so we may have to make a trip to CitiField too lol. I looked into the WTC Memorial and they don't have tickets available for Oct. 2013 now so I will keep checking back.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!!

• Vanessa R.
    VIP February 2014
    Vanessa R. ·

Jennifer how could i forget delfriscos! and as another met fan citifield blows yankee stadium away as far as where to stay it depends on your budget but anywhere midtown especially times square is very expensive

• Sammy Sam
    Dedicated May 2013
    Sammy Sam ·

I agree, citifield is so much nicer but i october is post season so hopefully the mets make it. make sure you go to shake shack. it might be fun to go to the museum of sex since it is your honeymoon

• A
    Expert May 2013
    Anonymous ·

I got engaged in NY so it has a special place in my heart we stayed in a VRBO rental apartment which was perfect - best of both worlds with home from home but right in manhattan. Some have way cool views of the island at a fraction of the hotel prices.

It's not cheap but we had dinner at Gordon Ramsays at the London hotel and it was an amazing experience I'd recommend.

I'm so jealous you will have a blast!!!

• Jen
    Master March 2014
    Jen ·

OMG SHAKE SHACK!!!! You must go there! Upper West Side right by the Museum of Natural History, also at Madison Square Park (23rd and B'way). The burger and shake will be so worth the extra 50,000 calories

• little miss hostess
    Dedicated October 2013
    little miss hostess ·

Some of my favorite nyc eats are different -

hot pot in china town (grand sichuan) its basically chinese style fondue!

korean bbq (madangsui) you sit at table w a grill in it and they cook right there in front of you

eataly - huge indoor italian marketplace that is a great option if you end up with less than amazing weather

chelsea market is another cool ,arket w awesome bar tippler in basement

for the whole giant deli sandwich thing try stage door (I think its better service and atmosphere...if not as authentic) instead of carnegie - katz is way old school (expensive but they are huge! share or take home 1/2)

walk the brooklyn bridge and get pizza under the bridge (patsy's or grimaldis - bk side)

my fav celeb restaurant that is easy and not ridiculously expensive is Otto (mario batali wine and pizza)

• Vanessa Jeanty
    March 2019
    Vanessa Jeanty ·

Serendipity for dessert, brasserie 8 1/12 for a nice elegant dinner, if you come late in october during halloween you can see the parade in the village; tons of theatre Evita is really good; meat packing district; dos caminos, rosa mexicana, moma on fridays is free

• Amanda
    Super October 2013
    Amanda ·

@Sammy, as soon as I mentioned Museum of Sex to my FH he was on the internet looking it up lol!!

@Lesley, thanks for the tip about VRBO I will be looking into that for sure!

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I can't wait to go (and gain 100 pounds)!!!!

• NowI'mMrs.B.
    Super April 2013
    NowI'mMrs.B. ·

Other tourist things to do:

Rockefeller Center

St. Patrick's Cathedral

Circle Line Boat ride (takes you around Manhattan)

Statue of Liberty

Empire State Building

Grand Central Station

Horse and carriage ride (Columbus Circle, Central Park)

Shopping on Fifth Avenue from 59th Street to 34th Street

Bronx Zoo/Botanical Gardens

Southstreet Seaport

For food I would suggest also trying Little Italy in the Bronx (Belmont Avenue) and Restaurant Row in Manhattan (47th or 48th Street from 8th Avenue to 9th Avenue).

• Tina~Bo~Bina
    Master November 2012
    Tina~Bo~Bina ·

The Museum of Sex is awesome Very informative and fun, definitely go if you get the chance!

Do you plan on going on your honeymoon right after the wedding or are you waiting a few weeks? If you're waiting a few weeks, then you will be there around the time that they start setting up the Macy's Christmas decorations and do the tree lighting - I LOVE NYC during the holidays oh so much

• Sammy Sam
    Dedicated May 2013
    Sammy Sam ·

If you get over to brooklyn where little miss suggested pizza, check out the brooklyn ice cream factory and brooklyn bridge park. its a great place to see the entire nyc skyline and bridge. that's where fh proposed!

• Celia Milton
    March 2019
    Celia Milton ·

If you get to brooklyn, don't forget the fab carousel!

• little miss hostess
    Dedicated October 2013
    little miss hostess ·

Also if you want to go to the top of something for a view do Rockefeller center not empire state building! better view, less crowd and you see the empire state building which is cool

• Sarah
    Super October 2013
    Sarah ·

Ok living here, I will tell you the things I try to do as often as I can. Ok so you should ride the staten island ferry, its free and goes from manhattan to staten island and back and gets close to the statue of liberty. It is one of the only free things to do in NYC and is pretty relaxing and my brother in law is one of the captains so you can feel safe. lol. Also, Go to chinatown. OMG go there. On Mott st. (17 mott) is a place called WoHop They are famous and if you wait to eat downstairs (its a dive), you will see pics of famous people who have eaten there on the walls. Upstairs looks much nicer though, they are open 24/7 and have some of the best chinese food in NY. They make their noodles fresh and are delicious. I like the snails personally but most of my friends do their 4d Chow Fun or chicken or their duck is delish too. Also on Mott street, going back towards canal, on the same side of the street as WoHop next to a Haagen Dazs is a place called "teariffic"...

• Sarah
    Super October 2013
    Sarah ·

My friends and I try to go there every 2-3 weeks. They have amazing Bubble Tea. Try the Taro Bubble Tea Smoothie, if you trust me. Then walk 2 blocks over to little italy and go to Ferrera's for dessert. They are also very famous and MUCH nicer looking than wohop. Delish desserts. Ok also, if you guys have extra money and are in the mood for unique food and atmosphere, go to Gyu Kaku, japanese BBQ. It is amazing. A bit pricey, but so so good. Also, try to make it out to brooklyn for L&B Spumoni Gardens for a slice of pizza (or 4) and their spumoni. Also if you want to do the whole NY brick over style pizza, try Lombardi's pizza. Not my style but by far the most famous and delish out there. If, when you take the ferry into staten island and want to grab a bite to eat, if you take the s44 bus, you can grab pizza at brothers, in my opinion the best in between pizza for Lombardis and L&B. Their pizza is great! There is a nice marriot on 34th street near MSG and...

Comment on this discussion