Janeen
Master January 2015

NWR: Too many MLM people asking me to buy things

Janeen, on December 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 48
Saved Save

The thing that I hate about Christmas is that the people who sell multi-level marketing stuff out of their home pop out of the woodwork and bug the crap out of me. No, I don't want to buy shakeology. Yes, I know that you make a good salary working out of your home for 2 hours a day. No, I don't want to make money by helping people. I totally get that these companies are great from people who want to work from home, but please please please do not capitalize on an existing friend/acquaintenceship to sell me something.

The most recent offender is someone I went to high school with has decided to sell Jamberry nails. Awhile ago, she messaged me and asked why I haven't tried her product. I said that I was doing races every other weekend and was literally digging through mud, so I don't do my nails. Now that that's over, she's bothering me to try it for the wedding. No, No. No. No. No. I've hidden her posts and I don't answer. Are you guys being bothered too?

48 Comments

• S
    Master June 2015
    Sara ·
    • Flag

Ugh I get that. I don't mind when they send me an invite to their party or it comes up naturally in the conversation. But don't bug me about it. My FH has a friend, he and his wife sell Juice Plus. They're obsessed. After the third party invite I finally went to check it out, but decided it wasn't for me. They still try to make a sell with me though. Its definitely annoying.

• Melissa
    Super April 2015
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Girl, I am with you. I can't stand it. I fully respect everyone trying to make extra money and I'm buy no means rich. But I feel like every time I get on facebook all I see is "Jamberry!" "Scentsy!" "Shakes by Vi!" Jamberry has definitely been the worst offender so far. And I have a farm, so I never do my nails.

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

She added me to a group on FB and I haaaaaaaaaaaate how facebook will automatically add you to groups with all notifications on. All the sudden, I'm getting a ton of notifications every day about which pattern of nails are out. She was even asking me about jamberry for kids regarding my child. Please just stop when I say stop lol.

• Munashi
    Super October 2014
    Munashi ·
    • Flag

I think it's weird to directly approach someone and ask WHY HAVEN'T YOU BOUGHT STUFF FROM ME? It's one thing to "remind" people you exist when it's holiday time and you know people need gifts, but that kind of approach is waaaaay too pointed....

• E
    Master July 2015
    Emma ·
    • Flag

I can't stand it! People like I haven't talked to in years and they pop up like, "hey congrats on the wedding, buy this!" I'm like you don't give a damn about my wedding!

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

It took me aback lol. She said "Well you've tried pampered chef and essential oils, why not jamberry?" I tried those of my own desire to learn more. I have no desire to do my nails. I talked to another high school friend when I was down in Atlanta and she said she was directly messaged about it too.

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

I've had three of them try and capitalize on the wedding. Shakeology/beach body for weight loss. Jamberry for wedding nails. And Origami Owl for a "wedding locket".

• Munashi
    Super October 2014
    Munashi ·
    • Flag

Yea, I have bought some MLM stuff out of actual interest as well - and I actually did buy some Origami Owl jewelry for my BMs to wear during my wedding. But hey, funny story, I only buy from people who don't harass me... Imagine that. lol

• E
    Master July 2015
    Emma ·
    • Flag

At some point I'm honestly going to ask, "Do you really give a shit about my wedding?" Literally a girl I haven't seen or talked to since high school messaged me saying congratulations, these products are really great, blah blah blah. i just didn't reply back.

• Uber Dami
    Master October 2015
    Uber Dami ·
    • Flag

Im being attacked on all sides as well, its like as soon as i said wedding, people crawled out of the woodwork to try and sell me shit i wouldnt buy even if i wasnt getting married. if i get one more acquaintance trying to sell me weight loss stuff im going to scream, im taking it as an insult now lol. and no i dont want nail polish, shakes, avon, or anything of that sort either grrr

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·
    • Flag

I think its all good and well if you want to do it as a hobby, and your friends can approach you if they want Mary Kay or whatever, but if your income is dependent on your friends buying crap they don't want or need, that's a problem Smiley sad

• JaKLyn
    Master November 2015
    JaKLyn ·
    • Flag

While I love me some Origami Owl I hate when people are super pushy like that. I've purposely sought out new sellers who aren't as pushy before when people have gotten on my nerves.

• AndixLyn
    Master June 2015
    AndixLyn ·
    • Flag

I block groups and have posted publicly that i hate all of your work from home "businesses" and don't want o buy candles, jewelry, nail wraps, tupperware or sex toys etc. it gets so old.

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

One of them was trying to recruit under her by pointing out that now she gets to be home with her kids. Well that's great, but you do that by people like me working and buying your stuff lol.

• S
    Master June 2015
    Sara ·
    • Flag

@Barbara L, that's the exact reason my FH hates MLM stuff. He gets really offended that his friends are trying to profit off him. At this point it's like a moral objection to buying their stuff lol.

• Ally
    VIP October 2014
    Ally ·
    • Flag

I got in a big argument with a girl I've known since I was little about scentsy. I'm broke, it's obvious....I would always tell her that but she would ALWAYS hunt me down and harass me about buying it. Finally I snapped and told her she needed to stop asking me, I said no. She got pissed but finally stopped. It was really aggravating. For Christmas one year my friend really wanted a scentsy and I specifically went through someone I didn't know online bc she had turned me off of it so much.

• Jess
    Master May 2015
    Jess ·
    • Flag

Even though I am a frequent purchaser of certain MLM merchandise, I totally agree with you. I can't stand the repeated pushes to buy this or that.

• Emily
    Master May 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Ya, I don't consider harassing your friends to buy crap and making your "living" off of them to be a real job.

• OG Mrs.K (2.0)
    Master September 2014
    OG Mrs.K (2.0) ·
    • Flag

The only harassment I enjoy is from the girl scouts each year because I love their cookies. Other than that, if I want to give to charity, buy something from a friend, or anything in between - I will do it (and I do!). I can't stand being nagged with this stuff either, especially around the holidays when it becomes so rampant.

ETF: spelling.

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

I really get overwhelmed each christmas by the number of people and organizations that have their hand out. It really rankles me.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics