Jersey
Master November 2016

My dress arrived and it still fits poorly. Anyone else?

Jersey, on July 5, 2016 at 9:26 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 83
Saved Save

Just needing to not feel alone in this. I keep stumbling on posts about everyone getting their dresses in and gushing about how it "fits like a glove." Well, goddamnit, mine fits terribly. And I'm starting to feel discouraged about it. I guess it's my size? But the bodice is still so huge on me that they needed multiple clips still.

Did anyone else have their dress arrive and feel really disappointed by how much it still didn't fit right?

83 Comments

• Mrs. Mac
    Master July 2016
    Mrs. Mac ·
    • Flag

My dress was too big when it arrived and needed to be taken in quite a bit. I don't think you're alone at all. That's what a good seamstress is for! Smiley smile

• Jersey
    Master November 2016
    Jersey ·
    • Flag

Right?! I just had an image in my mind of it coming in and finally being in my size. And I tried it on and it was like the boob in the bodice were eating me. Let me grab a picture.

• Miss.MtoMrs..K
    Master October 2016
    Miss.MtoMrs..K ·
    • Flag

Sorry Ladies no advice as I'm trying on my dresses (terrified) at the end of July. Hopefully your seamstress can fix all the alteration hiccups.

• JamieLynn
    Master June 2016
    JamieLynn ·
    • Flag

Sorry Jen. Mine was huge and didn't fit me like a glove at all.. Paying over $300 I'm alterations, just for it to stay up and not fall off was not cool.

• Jersey
    Master November 2016
    Jersey ·
    • Flag

I feel like it's because I just don't have a body shape that fits into standard sizes. I have a hard time with shopping as well.

Also, I'm starting to think that the sample I tried on had the boning taken out of it. Did anyone take the boning out of their dress? I like it was better without the boning making a weird shape of my torso/boobs.

• Jenni
    VIP October 2016
    Jenni ·
    • Flag

Hmmm....I'm really not sure what you are looking at in terms of weird shape and your boobs? Which one is the sample verses your official dress? They legitimately both look gorgeous to me!

• Jersey
    Master November 2016
    Jersey ·
    • Flag

The one of the left is mine. It's hard to see in the picture, but it made my boobs almost pointy? And I couldn't figure out what was off when I had it on. And then looking at the sample, I don't see the lines of the boning, nor do I remember any stiffness in the bodice. I think they had the boning removed.

For all you ladies that had huge dresses when they came in. Did you eventually feel better after alterations? Did it end up looking right?

• Mrs. Mac
    Master July 2016
    Mrs. Mac ·
    • Flag

I think with alterations, it will be perfect. Smiley smile It looks to me like the one on the left has boning. hmmm. I think they both look really nice though. I'd go with what you're most comfy with!

My dress fits like it was made for me now, so yeah I think alterations can work magic. Smiley smile

• JamieLynn
    Master June 2016
    JamieLynn ·
    • Flag

Jen, after 5 fittings, (maybe four) I felt a lot better. I still needed dress tape, but it looked fine.

Also, we had the boning taken out of my daughters BM dress because of it making her non-existent 13 year old boobies look like Madonna boobs. She was happy and she said it was much more comfortable.

• BookcaseHat
    Master July 2017
    BookcaseHat ·
    • Flag

No advice (other than to trust your seamstress) but DAMN your dress is gorgeous!

• Ivy
    Super November 2016
    Ivy ·
    • Flag

Omg i love it Jen! From the picture it looks like it fits nicely. Love the belt on there! So sad that you're not comfy in it. I think that after alterations it should be perfect! How much bigger is it than needed?

• MNBride
    Master June 2017
    MNBride ·
    • Flag

It kind of looks like it's stabbing you in the armpits a bit, no offense. I see the boning in both of them and I don't think it looks bad at all. I would have them try and fit it first before you take out the boning, you might loose a lot of support.

• LoveInDC
    Master November 2016
    LoveInDC ·
    • Flag

My dress is huge! It can barely stay up. Gotta take at least an inch from each side. I could've gone a size or two smaller and it would still be big! Here it is Smiley smile Guess which pic has the clips lol

• MrsKristenS
    Master August 2016
    MrsKristenS ·
    • Flag

My dress did not fit like a glove- the waist was at least a size too big. I'm having my 3rd alterations appointment on Sunday, and I'm hoping my next will be a final fitting! Here's a pick of the dress when I got it to my second fitting. She's taking the waist in even more this time around! Alterations are EVERYTHING... (Ignore my double chin lol)

• Jersey
    Master November 2016
    Jersey ·
    • Flag

I didn't exactly see how much they clipped in the back. They needed 3 clips. They probably pinched about 2 inches?

I guess I was just discouraged because I felt like everyone getting their dress, including my own friends were excited that their dress finally fit them. And I'm over here like...

• Jersey
    Master November 2016
    Jersey ·
    • Flag

Mna, which pic do you think is stabbing me in the armpit? The one on the left?

LoveinDC, gorgeous!!!!! Your looks amazing with the clips on!

Maybe that's my problem, is that even with the clips it didn't look right, which is what had me discouraged? I don't know! I can't pinpoint the problem!

Kristen, oh my god! Your alterations made a HUGE difference! You have such a tiny waist and the first picture doesn't show that off at all! Your dress is gorgeous BTW!

• Marty
    Dedicated September 2017
    Marty ·
    • Flag

Woman I was totally prepared for your dress to be a potato sack! It looks great already so some (completely normal) alterations will tighten it up into exactly what you expect. Beautiful detail!

• Reese
    Master July 2015
    Reese ·
    • Flag

I can clearly see the boning in your sample dress too. Removing it would completely change the dress. I know you're clipped in, but I think your actual dress looks really good and alterations will make you feel like you did when you picked it. It really is a beautiful dress.

• Jersey
    Master November 2016
    Jersey ·
    • Flag

Lol Marty, there's a picture that I had (I deleted it off my phone because I hated it) that showed how big the boobs actually are. It looks like I got a boob job in the photo and the boobs are just eating my body lol. I'm trying to get my mom to send me the picture so I can post it. The one I posted above isn't so bad.

Reese, you see boning in the champagne dress? Why can't I see it? I must be crazy lol

• LoveInDC
    Master November 2016
    LoveInDC ·
    • Flag

Thanks! Just wait and you'll see Smiley smile All clips do is take a big, even chunk out of the back. That is NOT how alterations are done. They take bits from each seam on all sides. So it doesn't flatten a giant cup against your chest, it creates and shapes a smaller cup where it belongs. Apply that logic everywhere Smiley smile Your dress will be perfectly fit to you. Unless you are the exact size and shape of a mannequin, I'd seriously doubt anyone who claims their dress fit them 100% perfectly on the first try.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics