You're on our mind during COVID-19. See our related wedding FAQs.

Amy L
VIP September 2014

Married ladies what are you doing with your dress.

Amy L, on October 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Posted in Married Life 46

My dress has been in the bag laying on the spare bed for a month. Did any of you ladies get your dress cleaned? Any one send there's off to the David's bridal cleaning service? I'd like to keep mine if I have a girl I'd have it made into her baptism or first communion dress.

My dress has been in the bag laying on the spare bed for a month. Did any of you ladies get your dress cleaned? Any one send there's off to the David's bridal cleaning service?

I'd like to keep mine if I have a girl I'd have it made into her baptism or first communion dress.

46 Comments

• Munashi
    Super October 2014
    Munashi ·
    • Flag

I'm going to have mine preserved.

• DisneyNut
    Master October 2014
    DisneyNut ·
    • Flag

I have no clue. It's hanging half in the spare bedroom closet and half out of the of the closet. LOL

• Enya
    VIP July 2015
    Enya ·
    • Flag

One of the reasons I picked the dress I did was so I could use it again - I'll chop the length a bit, but it will be in use until it falls apart.

• JustMarried'14
    Master September 2014
    JustMarried'14 ·
    • Flag

LOL, mine is hanging on the closet door. My mom just asked me about this on Saturday. After discussing the possibilities, she is going to hang onto it after we get it cleaned and preserved. The dress shop I bought it from gave me a sweet discount off the preservation cost.

• Amy L
    VIP September 2014
    Amy L ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone! I think I'll look into the David's bridal cleaning thing it's only 100$. I think I want to keep it!

• D&D100315
    Devoted October 2015
    D&D100315 ·
    • Flag

When I bought my dress...today...at David's the preservation kits were on sale for $75.

• Sarah
    Master October 2014
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I sent mine off to the DB service. The $75 deal ends today I think. I think I may donate my dress to Brides Across America. I absolutely adore my dress, but I don't really need to keep it for any particular reason. My 8 year-old daughter is built like her dad, so she'll certainly be too tall to wear it. I plan on keeping my sash for her though. She can wear it or use it to wrap her bouqet when she gets married. The dress has to be cleaned before I donate it, and the $75 deal was by far the best price. I feel good about the possibility of contributing to a military bride's wedding day. My DH was in the Air Force for 8 years, so he was really touched when I suggested it.

• KaylaP
    VIP September 2014
    KaylaP ·
    • Flag

Mine is currently hanging in the closet under the stairs. Dirty. I might get it preserved only until we have a child. Then I plan on getting it made into her baptismal gown. I guess in DH's church though, they don't baptize as babies, but I'd really like my daughter baptized young.

• rusticbride
    Master May 2014
    rusticbride ·
    • Flag

No idea. I may keep it forever and ever.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of getting back into it for a photo shoot in a few years to celebrate an anniversary (and hopefully it will need to be taken in). Smiley winking

• Sara
    Expert October 2014
    Sara ·
    • Flag

Right now mine is just hanging on the door in our spare room. It isn't too dirty. I only wore it about 4 hours because we just did a small dinner after the ceremony, no dancing/party thing. It was casual enough that it could be shortened into a knee length party dress. However, I'm not sure if I would ever wear a white party dress so I may just keep it or I may sell it.

My aunt wants us to do an at home reception (destination wedding, immediate family only is what we did) and she said I should wear the dress for it. I know that is against what people advise but I'm still not even sure if we are going to have an at home reception so I'm not too worried yet. I'll just hang onto the dress for a while.

• Kristine
    Super October 2014
    Kristine ·
    • Flag

Right now it's shoved in the corner of my closet with my performance gown and college recital gown (classical singer problems) We're trying to find someone that will chop the train off and make a baptismal gown, but that's actually proving to be more difficult than I thought.

• Macksgirl
    Master August 2014
    Macksgirl ·
    • Flag

I am either going to:

A: Have a sexy trash the dress session with husband in a lake near us (Maybe for our one year anniversary).

B: Have it ripped up and made into a Quilt.

• L + R
    Master September 2014
    L + R ·
    • Flag

Same here @LadyMonk... That's just the link I pinned on Pinterest. I hand-washed mine with my normal laundry detergent mixture: borax/washing soda/baking soda/fels-naptha soap

• soontobeamrs
    VIP July 2015
    soontobeamrs ·
    • Flag

I am going to take some of the lace and make handkerchiefs for my granddaughters for their wedding day as their something old. My grandmother saved a pieces of lace for me and I used it on the handle for my brooch bouquet as my something old.

• M
    Master December 2014
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

I'm not married yet but I am definitely getting it preserved and probably buying a pretty chest to put it in.

• Mrs. A & J
    Master December 2014
    Mrs. A & J ·
    • Flag

I really want to do a trash shoot on the beach!! And then I might chop off the bottom (its already knee length) and make an awesome short party dress

• Ashley
    VIP September 2014
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

Ooooh I have no idea what I am doing with it. It is currently hanging in the closet of our office with the door open because it doesn't fit all the way inside the closet. Originally I wanted to have it cleaned and preserved but now I have no idea.

• OMW
    Master August 2013
    OMW ·
    • Flag

7 months later, it's still draped over a chair in the spare room.

I'm going to preserve it until I know what to do with it. I kinda want to rip it up and use the lace for something, but I'm not entirely sure...

• annakay511
    Master July 2015
    annakay511 ·
    • Flag

I'm going to have mine cleaned, and maybe preserved. I'm not sure if I'll ever use it again, but I definitely won't want to sell it.

• Amy L
    VIP September 2014
    Amy L ·
    • Flag

I bought the kit from DB waiting for the box to arrive to send it out. I'm sure I was the less expensive option. I like the idea if making it into a quilt

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics