We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Raine
Super April 2016

Mold in dried bouquet

Raine, on May 1, 2016 at 1:28 PM Posted in Married Life 0 9
Saved Save
Reply

Dried my bouquet out and it has mild inside the rose buds. Any ideas on what to do now?? I dried it out in hopes to put it in a shadow box, and now this.

9 Comments

  • EatKnitRun
    Master May 2016
    EatKnitRun ·
    • Flag

    Unfortunately I don't think you can get rid of the mold without damaging the dried flowers. I work in a university library, and when we find mold on irreplaceable books we send them to a preservation company that kills the mold by freeze drying. That and bleach are the only ways I know of to get rid of mold.

    • Reply
  • FallforLindahl
    VIP June 2017
    FallforLindahl ·
    • Flag

    Oh no!! I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't think you will be able to get it out. I use bleach to clean any mold. I hope someone has some ideas for you!

    • Reply
  • Laura
    Champion June 2010
    Laura ·
    • Flag

    How much mold is there? Is it light enough that it could be removed gently with a soft paintbrush?

    • Reply
  • HoneyLife
    VIP October 2016
    HoneyLife ·
    • Flag

    Did you use silica gel to dry them? Or just hung them out?

    • Reply
  • Heather
    Super October 2016
    Heather ·
    • Flag

    I've heard that you can brush the mold off with an eyeshadow brush then spray it with clear acrylic spray but I've never tried it

    • Reply
  • Raine
    Super April 2016
    Raine ·
    • Flag

    It's not like a ton. Just some at the tip of the middle of the buds.

    My friend just hung it for me and she seemed to know why she was doing. Guess I should've just researched it and did it myself. Smiley sad

    • Reply
  • Minerva
    VIP August 2016
    Minerva ·
    • Flag

    You can put it out in the sunlight after you brush it off, which will help kill the mold. To prevent this from happening again, use a finishing spray as recommended above.

    • Reply
  • NowASeptMrs
    Master September 2015
    NowASeptMrs ·
    • Flag

    Freeze drying is how professionals do it :-/ I don't think just hanging them out works for long term. It may be a lost cause sadly Smiley sad

    • Reply
  • Alejandra
    Super March 2019
    Alejandra ·
    • Flag

    I left to my honeymoon the day after our wedding and left it to my mom to hang dry upside down. I wasn't planning on keeping them forever but wanted to pick out the prettiest dry flowers for myself. She was so busy with my aunt and other family that she forgot and a few days later they found it and tried to hang it to dry but by the time I came back it was getting moldy so I picked out about 3 flowers and threw the rest away. It hurt a little considering how much bouquets cost, it also stung a little more because I had forgotten my bouquet during my walk down the aisle so I would have loved to look at it more and what not but I have great pics of it.

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles