P.F.
Super May 2018

Little peeved at sales woman

P.F., on January 9, 2018 at 9:51 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 24
Saved Save
I was looking at MOB dresses with my mom and she had found a dress she felt really good in and loved. The freakin saleswoman told her she needed to fade into the background and change the color to match the wedding colors. Mom felt bad for wanting that dress thinking it was too flashy. That really ticks me off. I assured mom that the saleswoman was full of 馃挬 and she could wear whatever dress in whatever color she wanted. She feels guilty but she did get the beautiful dress and some blingy heels. How dare anyone tell my mother that she has to blend in?

24 Comments

• Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev
    • Flag
    That鈥檚 really rude of the salesperson. I may be petty, but I鈥檇 complain. Depending on which store, I鈥檇 either write to the company or go in and speak to a manager. The last thing a salesperson should be doing is saying things to discourage the customers.
  • Kiwibride
    Super November 2018
    Kiwibride
    • Flag

I don't blame you, I would be pretty angry if someone said that to my mom. She doesn't need someone making her second guess her outfit choice Smiley angry

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F.
    • Flag
    I didn't file a complaint but it seems odd someone working off commission would discourage a sale.
  • muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel
    • Flag

I would contact the manager. I wouldn't necessarily identify the salesperson, but I would say that I felt the advice was inappropriate. MOB's don't need to fade and they definitely don't need to match the wedding colors.

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F.
    • Flag
    I wouldn't be able to give her name anyways. I can't remember it. I think I'll do what you suggested and just say it was inappropriate advice. Ultimately no harm was done since she bought the dress and shoes but I don't want her feeling bad on our wedding day
  • Orchids
    Master March 2018
    Orchids
    • Flag

Uncool! My mother is not a wedding decoration, I don't care if she matches or wants to wear neon orange, as long as she's happy. I hope your mom enjoys her gorgeous dress.

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F.
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Exactly! Thank you Orchids! I'm going to show my mom this thread so she will know there is nothing wrong with her dress!
  • NeLeibelToBe
    Devoted June 2018
    NeLeibelToBe
    • Flag
    Sort of related..when I was dress shopping the consultant lady asked when my date was (a little more than a year at that point) and said right to me, ' Oh good. Plenty of time to trim up and get a little tan going.' Seriously how do these people keep jobs!?
  • Mmssecrets
    Devoted March 2019
    Mmssecrets
    • Flag
    The salesperson was wrong. MOB is suppose to wear whatever she wants! In fact my mom asked me if it was okay if she wore this yellow dress to my wedding. I told her I didn't really care as long as she was comfy. I told her truth be told I really don't care what most people are gonna wear except my BMs, FH and his GMs, and myself. Everyone else can wear bathing suits for all I care.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F.
    • Flag
    @NeLeibel that's so rude!
    @Emily, exactly!
  • Mrs.Hays
    VIP April 2018
    Mrs.Hays
    • Flag
    That was rude of her
  • melanie
    Master August 2017
    melanie
    • Flag

That is so rude!! I would call and complain to the manager!

• Emily
    Expert May 2018
    Emily
    • Flag

That was so rude!

she does NOT have to blend in.... while its your day, you're her daughter... she has the right to wear what she wants. i would definitely be complaining to management, because that's not fair or right. does this salesperson treat everyone like this? i can only assume its at a bridal shop or similar... i really hope they dont say this kind of stuff to brides!

im glad she got the dress and shoes anyway. i hope she loves wearing them as much as she did before this random person put in their two cents about something that doesnt concern them. im sure she looks beautiful!

• Rachel Langerhans
    Expert October 2015
    Rachel Langerhans
    • Flag

That's incredibly rude of that salesperson! Smiley surprise I agree with you - your mom should wear whatever she wants and is comfortable in and feels beautiful in! Smiley heart

• Bibi
    Dedicated June 2018
    Bibi
    • Flag
    Wow so rude! Kudos to you for encouraging your mom to get the dress she wanted Smiley smile
  • Daria
    VIP January 2019
    Daria
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'd have asked to be paired with a new consultant. That's total BS.

• Sara&L
    Dedicated July 2017
    Sara&L
    • Flag

That's super rude of the salesperson, but honestly I'm not surprised. You see on here constantly that many brides complain that their mother of FMIL is "trying to upstage them" by wearing something flashy or sexy. That doesn't make it right, and thankfully most sensible adults tell them to let adults wear what they want, but it's apparently a common problem. Also bridal salespeople can be so insensitive in general, I had one person tell me to wait on alterations because the stress of wedding planning might make me start to eat. Smiley angry

• NeLeibelToBe
    Devoted June 2018
    NeLeibelToBe
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This was at the end of my appointment so it was basically over by then. I did request to NOT have her when I went back in to pick up/try on my dress!
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F.
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    If she were trying on wedding dresses then this would be a different thread but there was nothing flashy about the dress she picked! I didn't take a picture while she was wearing it, unfortunately, or I'd show y'all. It was this beautiful maroon gown that flattered her figure and had a v neck. It was sleeveless. On the shoulder, instead of the material it had these really pretty faux diamonds connecting the front to the back. The back hung low (accordimg to mom, not by normal standards) and that whole thing was her favorite part of the dress. It was simple and elegant and the shoulder design matched the back of my dress a little so we both thought that was cool. The nerve of some salespeople!

@Emily, I hope she still loves them just as much too! Thank you!
  • Jennifer M
    Devoted April 2018
    Jennifer M
    • Flag

I just don't get other people being more offended than the person who is supposedly offended. YOU are standing there! The BRIDE! If the the bride isn't offended by it, why does the sales lady feel the need to be offended FOR YOU? Like you can't handle your own opinions? Sheesh! If you, the bride, have no problems with the dress your own mother chose for your own wedding, no one else needs to be offended.

Comment on this discussion