Lynnie
WeddingWire Administrator October 2016

Keep or Cancel: Traditional Wedding Vows?

Lynnie, on July 16, 2019 at 11:05 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 197
Saved Save

Do you still get emotional when you hear the traditional promises of "in sickness and in health"? Or are you all-in on modernizing the old wedding vows and making them more personal to your relationship?

Do you want to keep or cancel the traditional wedding vows?

Keep or Cancel: Traditional Wedding Vows? 1

Photo by The Pros Weddings - Photography in Huntingdon Valley, PA

Next Question: Parent Dances

Back to the Beginning: Keep or Cancel?

197 Comments

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    I'm ok with keeping it.
    I also like the idea of just saying your own though to make it personal.
  • Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    Cancel. We’re doing traditional vows, but still putting a personalized spin on them.
  • Allie
    Rockstar August 2019
    Allie ·

Keep! We thought about doing our own vows but decided to keep it traditional.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·

Keep/cancel. We want to keep them traditional but will probably have a few little personalized things in them. But not doing our own vows.

• Monique
    Rockstar December 2019
    Monique ·
    Cancel. We are writing our own.
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    Cancel. I don’t like the idea of generic vows because there’s no such think as a generic relationship. We will probably write our own together.
  • Erin
    Expert May 2020
    Erin ·

Ugh, we aren't sure yet! I like the simplicity of just repeating after the officiant, but also like the personal touch of writing our own vows. I just don't want to be nervous in front of everyone! We're thinking about writing our vows separate from the whole ceremony and reading them to each other that night.

• Martika
    Expert September 2019
    Martika ·

Cancel. FH told me he wanted to write his own vows.

• Brianna N
    Super October 2019
    Brianna N ·

Keep! We are sticking to the traditional vows, but we will have a personal (to us) reading!

• Becca
    Super August 2019
    Becca ·
    Keep. My fiance preferred to do traditional vows, but we are also writing our own personal and private vows to give to each other before the ceremony
  • Jen
    Super May 2018
    Jen ·

Keep. Neither one of us wanted to write our own vows but we were able to personalize the ceremony/vows to us even though we kept them fairly traditional.

• FutureMrsC
    Expert October 2019
    FutureMrsC ·
    Considering we are getting married in a Catholic Church and personalized vows isn't even an option, I guess it's keep for me lol

• Mandi
    Rockstar March 2020
    Mandi Online ·
    Keep. We are already out of our comfort zone. Writing our own and sharing more of ourselves is too much for us.
  • Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz Online ·

Cancel - FH and I want to write our own vows!

• SraDeCarrillo
    Super August 2019
    SraDeCarrillo ·

Keep. I’m okay with the traditional vows.

• Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·

Both. We are saying the traditional ones, but are also saying some to each other

• Selena
    Super September 2019
    Selena ·
    Cancel, personalized vows for us.
  • Arianna
    Dedicated September 2019
    Arianna ·

Cancel. We are both writers and we have been writing to each other since we met, and we actually wrote vows to each other the night we got engaged

• Tonia
    Expert October 2019
    Tonia ·

We are on the fence with this one. I want our own vows, FH wants to do traditional.

• Diana
    Rockstar December 2019
    Diana ·
    Cancel....we’re writing our own vows!!! We both been married before and we wanted to do something different.

Comment on this discussion