Alyson
Dedicated August 2011

I can't pick a color for the wedding...please help!

Alyson, on August 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM Posted in Planning 0 35
Saved

I am having the worst time picking a color for my wedding. I thought this was supposed to be fun? It started out with my fiance and I not being able to agree on a color. Then we thought we both liked jade but now 2 of my bridesmaids who happen to be my sisters are telling me its tacky so its making me think it might be. I just don't want to look at my photos in 10 years and think what was i thinking? Does anyone have any thoughts? My fiances top pick is kelly green but I sooo nervous about that color because I don't want the room to be too green and bright.

35 Comments

Latest activity by Melody, on September 2, 2010 at 9:15 AM
  • Cindy
    Super October 2010
    Cindy ·
    • Flag

Eh. Not a huge fan of kelly green but that is me. If you are worried about looking back on it and regretting it, then how about going with something more neutral and classic. Black and cream/pink maybe? Or perhaps just toning down the green color and going with a darker shade of teal? That is a very popular color right now.

• S
    VIP March 2011
    STB Mrs Van Blargan ·
    • Flag

I am using lemongrass/lime green and red (with hints of black and white all over) as my colors. There are also alot of other girls on here, who are using the color green or a shade of green. Jade is a beautiful color and so is kelly green. The color that you choose really depends on what colors you and your fiance like. Maybe consider your favorite colors ( both his and yours?) Well, how about Jade and black? Or Jade and Yellow??? Or Kelly Green and Pink? Maybe even Kelly Green and Silver?

• S
    VIP March 2011
    STB Mrs Van Blargan ·
    • Flag

Or you could even do things alittle backwards and pick out your flowers first and then take the colors from them and use them as your wedding colors...

• Lauren
    VIP October 2011
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Im doin light pink, light green, and dark brown with tiny touches of silver. I was hesitant at first but it is all coming together.

do what makes you happy! it's YOUR wedding not theirs.

• Mrs.M <3
    Super August 2010
    Mrs.M <3 ·
    • Flag

Kelly green, yellow, and navy are beautiful together. You could do the dresses in navy, with a kelly green sash and yellow flowers. Use the yellow and green as accent colours, it doesn't have to look like someone threw them up on a room for them to be included. I had a bright teal/turquoise colour and brown as my colours. I used the teal for just the groomsmen's ties in the ceremony, the girls wore brown dresses, and my DH wore a brown tie. At the reception, I had white chair covers with brown sashes, white table clothes, brown napkins, a rectangular piece of teal fabric with 2 brown flower pots with white flowers and an oil lamp with the base wrapped in brown and teal ribbon as my centerpieces. There were just touches of the teal throughout the room, nothing too crazy, and the brown really balanced it out.

• ztkyx
    Devoted August 2011
    ztkyx ·
    • Flag

What about these colors together? You could have the green for bridesmaid dresses and the pink flowers. Not overwhelmingly bright green

• CJ
    Super February 2013
    CJ ·
    • Flag

Think about the theme too: do u want bright and fun or calm and formal thats important cos aquagreen/teal and orange is absolutely beautiful if u want to be fun and outdoorsy but a formal wedding u can use a calmer green like the one above

• Alyson
    Dedicated August 2011
    Alyson ·
    • Flag

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I am so indecisive! Smiley smile

• LutaWolf
    Master March 2011
    LutaWolf ·
    • Flag

There are many different ways you can add colors so that the green doesn't take over. Also I've known a few brides on here to use Jade and their weddings were LOVELY!!! The thing is, it's all your choice but I understand you want advice, that's why you come here. When ever possible don't discuss color, flower choice, or venue choice with family because they will make it ten times difficult. They will tell you that fake flowers are tacky (I've seen some pretty) and that you shouldn't do it in that color... So learn this lesson now, pick one close friend and tell her and us what your planning otherwise treat everything as a closely gaurded secret.

• Nicole
    Super May 2011
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

I'm doing purple and green, but we went and talked to the florist and found flowers we loved before actually picking the shades of colors. Ended up going with a royal purple and grass green. Do not trust looking at colors online, they do not come across correctly. I also suggest actually going to somewhere like David's Bridal that has a lot of brides maids dresses in a lot of colors actually in the store to look at colors.

• Celebrations
    Celebrations ·
    • Flag

Colors that actually flatter you bridal party would also be a consideration.

• L. Turtle
    VIP August 2011
    L. Turtle ·
    • Flag

I'm sure in some ways we'll all look back at our wedding photos/videos and point and laugh at what happens to be dated. If you want to go with more classic colors, black and red are an option, but even that can look tacky if not done right. I think sometimes the metallic fabrics that bm dresses are sometimes cut from can give that dated appearance, so if you're really worried try going for something like cotton fabrics, and then choose the color you like!

• CKJL5410
    Master May 2012
    CKJL5410 ·
    • Flag

Luta... I LOVE those colors.. but I wanted pink or purple... hmm.. I am also very indecisive...

• Shannon C
    Master May 2011
    Shannon C ·
    • Flag

Forget what others say about your colors. Pick colors that YOU both like. Any color can be beautiful and elegant if you work to make it that way. Just like you can take something like black and silver and turn it into a hot mess if you use decorations that make it that way.

• Candace
    Devoted May 2012
    Candace ·
    • Flag

I chose the colors tiffany blue and brown. Our wedding is in October. My hates the colors she says they aren't fall colors and I smile and say whose wedding is it anyway and besides the FH and I are footing the enitire bill LOL

• T
    Savvy October 2010
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag

Look at some bridesmaid dresses and that might give you a great idea for color. I should have done that first. JCrew has some pretty colors, but keep in mind they go by the season so they may be showing fall/winter now, but it's worth checking out.

• Cayla
    Super August 2011
    Cayla ·
    • Flag

Hey date twin...well if it helps, i have picked purple(preferably lilac) & green(a light green, kinda of mint colored). i knew i definitely wanted the purple but wanted something to accentuate & of course bring a little of my FH too...didnt want it to be too girly!! But I mean pick colors that you really love...do u have any favorite colors & have you two thought of colors that would go together(as like some sort of compromise)?

• T
    Savvy October 2012
    Tonia ·
    • Flag

Alyson, I thought the same about my colors. I'm using peacock feathers and using the colors from that. It's your wedding and if you and your fiance pick that color then go for it. Take pictures of colors together, look online. Pick out some color schemes with the kelly green and some without. Determine which one best suits you two. No one else's opinion counts. It's your day - enjoy it your way.

• T
    Savvy October 2012
    Tonia ·
    • Flag

I agree with Candace and Shannon.

• ursula
    Super October 2010
    ursula ·
    • Flag

A light green with ivory/cream and pink is very pretty..

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics