Molly
Super October 2020

How much does wedding photography cost?

Molly, on May 2, 2019 at 9:41 AM

Posted in Planning 160

So I just want to know what the average price is for a photographer. I know certain areas are cheeper than others. Also I would like to know how much you are paying / willing to pay for one.
So I just want to know what the average price is for a photographer. I know certain areas are cheeper than others. Also I would like to know how much you are paying / willing to pay for one.

160 Comments

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    We paid $4600 for engagement shoot, 2 hours of coverage at the welcome party, 9 hours of coverage on the wedding day, 2 shooters and an assistant, full rights to photos. My wedding planner told me to budget $6k for photography so I got a good deal for my area. In Carmel, CA.
  • Tiffany
    Dedicated April 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am NJ and I am using Trevor Barnes Media. His work is awesome and his prices are super affordable . He services NY, NJ, and PA. You should check him out. For 6 hours he charges under $700 I believe.
  • Iva
    Super September 2019
    Iva ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    What?? That sounds too good to be true lol. Thank you for sharing, I’ll check it out!
  • Christine
    Expert September 2020
    Christine ·
    • Flag

We're paying $2000 for one photographer for eight hours, and can upgrade to a two-shooter package for $500 extra. This was one of the best deals we saw for the SF Bay Area.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

We are paying 1250 for 8 hours on the wedding day with a second shooter included. Engagement pics are 200 but I think we get a discount for booking with her for that as well.

• Tiffany
    Dedicated April 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol that was my first thought as well when I saw his prices. And you’re welcome!
  • WifeyPoo
    Devoted July 2019
    WifeyPoo ·
    • Flag

For our Milwaukee wedding we are paying $1300 for 6 hours but it includes rights to all of our photos and he's photojournalistic which I love.

• Marissa
    Dedicated July 2020
    Marissa ·
    • Flag

I'm paying $1100 for 8 hours (400+ pictures - plenty to me), 2 shooters, and a 1 hr engagement session. But this is in Central IL.

• Arkilia
    Super November 2021
    Arkilia ·
    • Flag
    I live in Southern California in the inland empire and we are paying $1500 for 2 photographer's for 10 hours.
  • Arkilia
    Super November 2021
    Arkilia ·
    • Flag
    And we get an engagement session and 3 photo albums.
  • Bride2020
    Devoted May 2020
    Bride2020 ·
    • Flag

Ours has a $1000 package without second shooter & no engagement photos for 6 hours, $1800 with those things and for 10 hours. We are having a small wedding and don't need her for the whole day, nor do we need a second shooter, but we would like engagement photos. She offered to do it for the lower price since the wedding is very small (50 people). I do plan on tipping her a bit more than what she charges for an engagement shoot for her kindness in waiving that cost.

• C
    Super July 2019
    Crystal ·
    • Flag
    I'm paying 600. I got lucky and found mine on Facebook. I kept being quoted 1 to 3k and losing hope but than I got lucky and found McClure Photography
  • Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag

I live in Philadelphia, $1500 for full day's worth of shooting (split into two days); photo album and the originals (can't think of the right word right now).

• Heather
    Expert April 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag

Originally, my budget for a photographer was $**** because we weren't getting a videographer. There was a photographer I really wanted, but her prices increased this year, making it too much. Searching the photographers that have been doing it for years, their packages started at $****! So I went with finding more of the "beginner" photographers who are known mostly through word of mouth or mutual friends on social media. I found several that were $**** for about 8 hours. We are now getting a videographer, so my overall budget for both is $2000. I found a great deal for photography and saw no issues with her portfolio! It is $1000 (+$40 travel fee) for two shooters, free engagement session, full-day coverage, and a minimum of 350 photos. Videographer is $900 for 6-7 hours (but he is also a guest due to his wife being a bridesmaid, so on my contract he put 8+ hours, how sweet!). So, overall, I stayed within the budget!

• Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    I would say your range is 1k-3k, depending on area, what you want, how long, etc! I am hoping to find a great deal and pay no more than $1500 but want $1k
  • Ansley
    Dedicated February 2020
    Ansley ·
    • Flag

$3500 for 2 photographers, 10 hours of coverage, an engagement or bridal portrait session, and an online gallery of edited images with full printing rights. Savannah, GA, but my photographer is from Charleston, SC. I priced several photographers and his was actually more affordable than most for the amount of coverage and a second shooter.

• Talia
    Super October 2020
    Talia ·
    • Flag

I'm in Pennsylvania and our photographer is $2800 with an assistant, i think 8 hour coverage and some other stuff. But he's really good he did FH cousin's wedding in September and the pictures came out amazing!

• A
    Expert August 2019
    Ami ·
    • Flag
    Looks like im on the high end here, but we're im an expensive part of California. $5600 for 9 hours photography, videography and a second shooter. This includes edited videos, and an online gallery.
  • Melissa
    VIP October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Chicago here. We had budgeted about $1300 for a photographer (low end of the spectrum around here) but we found ours for an UNHEARD OF $650 (literally caught the "last spot" for a sale he ran, so we got LUCKY!)) We had him for 10 hours and got a free engagement shoot.

• Kristin
    Super November 2019
    Kristin ·
    • Flag

$1400 for 1 shooter for 8 hours (Chicagoland)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics