Miss Michal
VIP February 2012

Getting married in a bridesmaid dress

Miss Michal, on October 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 28
Saved

So I stopped into a bridal shop today, fairly unexpectedly (long story), and in addition to a couple more wedding dresses, I tried on a couple of maid's dresses that would be suitable to marry in. As many of you know, this isn't my first rodeo, and getting married in a dress that isn't quite so suitable for a 19-year-old blushing virgin kind of appeals to me. So here is the one I love. I'm thinking of doing the top in ivory and the bottom in gold, with amethyst jewelry. What do you think?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Cabell, on October 27, 2010 at 11:37 AM
  • Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Honest opinion- I'm not a fan of that particular dress. I just don't care for that style of top. But the idea of getting married in a nice dress that's not a wedding dress is perfectly fine with me.

If that one looks good on you, go for it!

• Teapot Bride
    VIP October 2014
    Teapot Bride ·
    • Flag

I love that dress! If you feel comfortable in it, then go for it! ^_-

• Miss Michal
    VIP February 2012
    Miss Michal ·
    • Flag

The picture does make the top look a little funny. It looked great on. I am (how shall one say) a woman of stature. I'm a size 14 and just short of six feet. The dress looked like it was made for me.

• 5starz
    Master August 2012
    5starz ·
    • Flag

That is amazing !I would love to see it on you!

• C2ShiningC
    Master April 2011
    C2ShiningC ·
    • Flag

I'm not a big fan of the top either but I love the bottom. I bet a woman with your *gifts* probably fills the top out better. You should post pics of you in it, then we'd get a better idea. I love love love the idea of not wearing a traditional gown!

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

Sounds good to me! Honestly, I was planning to just get married in a nice dress I already owned. This wasn't my first rodeo, either. However, it was NotFroofy's first rodeo, and it would have looked pretty silly to have me in street clothing and her in a wedding gown, so I went with what she wanted.

• S
    VIP June 2011
    SuchaDiva ·
    • Flag

Not a fan of the top but the bottom looks great. Remeber it's your day and you will know when it's your dress.

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

I'd love to see pics of you in it- but if you loved it- GO FOR IT!

• Cabell
    Master May 2010
    Cabell ·
    • Flag

I really like that dress, and I can easily imagine how it would look good on a tall woman. Go for it!

• Miss Michal
    VIP February 2012
    Miss Michal ·
    • Flag

I am definitely "gifted, Cyndi. LOL! I wish I could have taken pics, but this was a salon with a no-photos policy.

• verjeigh
    Dedicated March 2011
    verjeigh ·
    • Flag

I thinks its great and very appropriate while still allowing you to feel --as you should like a bride. it sounds like you've already fallen in love with it any way.." you go girl"

• Miss Michal
    VIP February 2012
    Miss Michal ·
    • Flag

I am definitely in love with it, but if all else fails I can order it in a different color for my brother's wedding in August. Mostly, I love that it's $150 and not $1000 like the wedding dresses with which I have also been falling in love. I also like the idea of potentially wearing my "wedding dress" again, so it has a lot of marks in the plus column.

• Cabell
    Master May 2010
    Cabell ·
    • Flag

Those were both big pluses for my dress, too. :-)

• Fun bride
    Master November 2010
    Fun bride ·
    • Flag

I think you will look great; I also think the ivory and gold colors will look more "weddingly" than the gray and white

• jo
    Devoted September 2011
    jo ·
    • Flag

I love that dress.... go for it!

• Mrs. Kline (Sass)
    Master December 2010
    Mrs. Kline (Sass) ·
    • Flag

I would have snuck one anyway. Smiley sad I bet you looked great in it. Smiley smile

• Katie
    Expert November 2011
    Katie ·
    • Flag

I think it would be fine. I just ordered my dress and it's a nice bridesmaid dress. Was only $182. Here is a pic. It will be white with black trim and white beading.

• Miss Michal
    VIP February 2012
    Miss Michal ·
    • Flag

Katie, that's super cute. And I might have snuck a photo, but the seamstress at this shop is a friend and I didn't want to get in trouble with her...

• X
    Beginner August 2010
    xiangjiao ·
    • Flag

The top is lack of romance contrary to the bottom

• Miss Michal
    VIP February 2012
    Miss Michal ·
    • Flag

The top really does look funny in the picture, not like it did when I tried it on. It has a surplice over the bust, and in the place where it almost looks pinned together at the neckline, it plunges a little deeper, but not so deep as to sacrifice modesty. Now I *must* go buy it so I can take a picture...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics