Alaina
Savvy August 2020

Feeling anxious about our August Wedding

Alaina, on April 22, 2020 at 12:02 AM Posted in Community Conversations 1 9
Saved
Reply
My heart goes out to those who have to cancel or postpone their wedding. I live in california and just feeling worried about our wedding day. My wedding date is 8/28/20 and don't know what to do. We want to get married no matter what that date. I wanted advice on if other August brides have back up plans if a bigger sized wedding isn't in the books that month. We are inviting about 75-80 people. We don't want to postpone because my fiance will be joining the Military the following month.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Amy, on April 24, 2020 at 12:47 PM
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    We’re in October, so I’m really hoping that things are more contained before August... because that’s our decision-making month 😉. Best wishes and fingers crossed that it all works out.
    • Reply
  • C
    Dedicated June 2022
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    Where in CA are you? (Generally speaking, no need to be too specific). We are in the LA area. Our date is 8.29.20 and for now we continue planning, with reassessing in about a month. Honestly, we just don’t know what is going on. We’ll figure things out at end of May. Venue won’t postpone or discuss such things until June.
    • Reply
  • Alaina
    Savvy August 2020
    Alaina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi Christina! We are near the Sacramento Area. That is how we are trying to look at it too. Just waiting it out for the month of May and than see where things are at than!
    • Reply
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    Honestly, we talked about it - we moved our 4/4 wedding to 8/15 because we loved the date at the time, and it was also one of the dates we considered originally. If anything, our date has even MORE significance- it was our six month dating mark and when we both said I love you and just a wonderful day over all. It would kill us to postpone again, and we probably won't. We talked with my father in law who is a doctor, and he told us that a wedding with proper precautions will probably be feasible by August. We also aren't going to have it too big - probably under 50.
    • Reply
  • Alaina
    Savvy August 2020
    Alaina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you kathryn! That makes me feel reassured. ❤
    • Reply
  • Tara
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag

    Ours is August 29th and we're in Washington. I feel you girl! Our plan for now is to continue as planned and make a firm decision in the next coming months. Hoping by that point we have a better idea of covids trajection. Thinking of all the soon-to-be brides!

    • Reply
  • Anna
    Super August 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

    Ours is 08/08/2020 near Toronto, Canada. We are continuing as planned at this time. 283 people are invited with more than 80 who would have to fly to attend.
    Our backup plan if the borders are still closed is to continue with just our fellow Canadian guests- still the majority.
    Our backup plan if things are still heavily restricted is to have a ceremony with just our parents and maybe 1 or 2 members of our bridal party (depending on gathering sizes). If we did this then we would postpone the reception until next year.

    It's too early to make a call in my opinion. 2 weeks ago things were looking bad here based on projections/modelling and now they are saying we are doing better than expected and will be opening things sooner than expected.

    It just changes so frequently that I don't feel good cancelling just yet. We will decide in early June.

    • Reply
  • Addy
    Beginner October 2021
    Addy ·
    • Flag
    Hi! Our wedding is in July in the Sacramento area! Our venue is hopeful things will be okay by July, and won’t be making a decision until June if we need to postpone. In the meantime, we made a backup plan to postpone to October if we have to. If we can’t have our wedding in July, we’re going to get married anyway that day and then have the full ceremony and reception in October. We’re moving to Tucson six days after our wedding, so postponing, while not impossible, will be difficult. I guess what we have going for us in the Sacramento and surrounding areas is that we don’t have too many cases, so if we open up regionally, we could be one of the earlier places to open up? I’m trying to stay positive, but it’s so hard!
    • Reply
  • Amy
    WeddingWire Administrator August 2013
    Amy ·
    • Flag

    Hi Alaina,

    I'm so sorry that you're having to create contingency plans for your August wedding. It seems like most August couples are waiting to see what happens, which is exactly what you said you're doing. Making a decision in May seems very reasonable.

    Hypothetically, if CA is allowing 50-person events by August, would you cut your guest count? Have you already sent Save the Dates? Your invitations typically would go out in June, so I'm curious about your plan B / plan C options; you mentioned you can't postpone due to your fiance's military obligations.

    Also, in case you have to re-think the larger celebration, there are several ongoing discussions re: having two events (ceremony now, reception later OR elopement now, full wedding later):

    Covid-19: Marriage now, wedding later?

    Covid19 Brides still getting married on original date?

    Small ceremony now, big wedding later

    Etiquette in the time of coronavirus?

    I'm Eloping because of Covid-19.. can i still do all of the traditional events?

    The bottom line is that you should do exactly what feels right for YOU. Smiley heart

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics