digieverafter
Savvy May 2020

Covid19 Brides still getting married on original date?

digieverafter, on April 19, 2020 at 9:08 PM Posted in Community Conversations 1 6
Saved
Hi! I’m a covid19 bride, I’ve accepted it so I’m not so upset anymore. Our wedding was set for May 10th and we moved it to September 28th. Our officiant offered to do 2 ceremonies, so we are still getting married on May 10th. I’ve seen a lot of other brides doing this as well.

Are any of you doing this and having your bigger wedding at a later date? Are you changing your name and making it official by telling friends and family that you got married? Changing name on Facebook..etc (I know this is silly but I would like to know your opinions for etiquette) Or are you just legally getting married and not mentioning it til your postponed date? My FH said he wants me to go ahead and change my name and stuff, I guess I just feel guilty that all of our friends and family won’t be here to see us get officially married on our date, but I don’t want to wait until September to get married. We’ve been engaged for almost 2 years together for 6.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Kiersten, on April 20, 2020 at 12:17 PM
  • Nicole
    Master September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    Don’t lie to your guests (either outright or by omission). Let them know you got married on your original date and then have a rocking celebration in September. Guests will understand you getting married on your original date, but will be very hurt and offended if they find out (and they will find out at some point) you hid it. Could you live stream it (or Zoom) for your closest friends/family so they can “be there”?
  • digieverafter
    Savvy May 2020
    digieverafter ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh no, sorry I should have been more clear. We don’t plan on hiding it. Most people already do know, but I just feel weird changing my name publicly when they were all supposed to be there to witness this the first time. I probably shouldn’t feel guilty but I do lol.
  • Nicole
    Master September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh, good! I would do whatever you feel comfortable with. I don’t see any reason for you to wait until September to go through the process, but if you’d rather do that, then go for it.
  • Lindsay
    Devoted July 2021
    Lindsay ·
    • Flag
    People will def understand this is not a normal time many people have had their heart set on their dates and just want to be married already I’m doing the same exact thing getting married in July and announcing it and then vow renewal in October I think either way people will be happy to celebrate with you my friends and family have been so supportive of my choice and they completely understand.
  • K
    Dedicated June 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

I am doing the same as you - getting married in June then big wedding in August. I will be starting the process to change my name shortly after we get married in June. I wouldn't feel guilty, everything is so different this year and everyone will understand.

• K
    Just Said Yes June 2020
    Kiersten ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I decided to have parents MOH and best man present for our original date. I’m holding out hope that everything will be clear to have the wedding on the original date in June. If not we will still get married and have something at a Later date. When I sent out invites I included a note saying to please include an email and phone number on the rsvp card so that if something changes we can let them know.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics