We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Maren
Champion October 2021

Essential or Extra? - Save the dates

Maren, on September 4, 2018 at 11:30 AM Posted in Planning 1 111
Saved Save

Are save the dates essential or extra?

Will you be sending out an advance notice for your guests to mark their calendars for your wedding day? Or will you be keeping it simple by just mailing invitations closer to the big day?

Essential or Extra? - Save the dates 1

Photo by Kari Dawson Weddings in Michigan

Next question: Essential or Extra? : Engagement pictures

111 Comments

Latest activity by Christal, on September 19, 2019 at 11:09 PM
  • ISaidHallYes
    VIP November 2018
    ISaidHallYes ·
    • Flag

We did Save the Dates since so many guests were out of town! Plus we just really wanted to use a funny picture we took!

• Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    I consider these essential because it helps prevent people making other plans that conflict. These people are important to me so I want to give them as much notice as possible so they are more likely to attend my wedding. They don't have to be too formal, even just calling people and saying save the date!
  • Alyssa
    Super July 2019
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    Essential for us. All of our guests are out of state so they need to know ahead of time to decide if they are coming and book flights.
  • Maren
    Champion October 2021
    Maren ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi BRae! You said it perfectly & I totally agree. Smiley heart

• C
    Super October 2018
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag
    Depending on where your guest are. I did save thone dates via Facebook event.

So mine was free,
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie Online ·
    • Flag

Essential!!! All my friends send out Save the Dates at least a year before the wedding date, and our friend's calendars book up super quickly!

We had a few guests tell us they weren't going to be able to make our wedding before we even sent out STDs (just told them the date in person), because they already had another wedding commitment that weekend! I also sent out a "pre-save-the-date" email to our families and my closest friends telling them to save the date. Smiley shame

• Tracy
    Super January 2019
    Tracy ·
    • Flag

For us, they were essential. It's a destination wedding, on a holiday no less. We sent them out nearly a year in advance.

• Deliliah
    Beginner March 2019
    Deliliah ·
    • Flag
    Essential due to the fact it’s a destination wedding
  • Maren
    Champion October 2021
    Maren ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Tracy! Makes perfect sense, especially with destination weddings! Smiley heart Where is your special destination for your big day? Smiley heart

• Jenny
    Savvy October 2018
    Jenny ·
    • Flag

Essential. People expect them and freak out if they don't get them before the invites so they're a necessary evil to avoid offending obscure relatives.

• M
    Savvy April 2019
    Maureen ·
    • Flag

Essential! Lots of out of town guests at a busy time of year. Plus it spreads the word and avoids any questions about who is invited. If you have your site up already, you include the url and people go there if they have any questions.

• Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    Save the dates were essential for us. It was an out of town wedding for most guests, and we had a lot of travel info we wanted to get to everyone.
  • Nicole
    Expert November 2018
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

Definitely was essential! About 80% of our guests were from out of state and the country!

• Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Extra not needed at all.

• Angela
    Beginner September 2018
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    Essential. We wanted everyone to have the date on their calendar, especially for our out of town guests.
  • Pamela
    Devoted January 2019
    Pamela ·
    • Flag

Was an "extra" for me, even tho we are doing destination we are sending out invites about 5 months in advance. I word of mouthed and emailed to my super close friends and hoping that the lack of STD will result in lower numbers from those guests who we are obligated to invite :/

• Kayla
    Expert January 2019
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    For us they were extra, we are having a smaller wedding and are sending out invites a little earlier, everyone invited already knows the date and details even though invites have not even gone out yet.
  • ERBride
    Expert September 2018
    ERBride ·
    • Flag
    I think they’re essential unless you’re having a small wedding with only immediate family and friends. But having the save the date early allows people to start making hotel reservations and looking at flights early. Plus some people work weekends and need to give ample notice to work. Also we had a handful of people never get their invitations but since they got a save the date they knew to reach out to us and ask.
  • Gipperkm
    Super September 2018
    Gipperkm ·
    • Flag

Essential for us due to some OOT guest, but mainly because it set the tone for the evening and introduced (in a very subtle way) the history of the venue, which is important to us.

• Shaunte
    Expert December 2020
    Shaunte ·
    • Flag

Essential for us because we have a ton of out of town guests.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles