Jessica
VIP October 2019

Do we really need a wedding cake? Would anyone even care?

Jessica, on July 12, 2019 at 5:12 PM Posted in Planning 0 39
Saved
So, we've had some unexpected expenses arise (some school bills for my son, now paying catering ourselves, and another unknown item). In all its totaling almost $2,000 of expenses we werent planning on. They're all due before our wedding in October, so we can't put them off.

I am wanting to know if it would be weird not to have a cake at all? It doesn't really matter to us, we were initially only getting a cake because everyone does. What are your thoughts on a wedding with no cake?

39 Comments

Latest activity by Michele, on July 13, 2019 at 7:09 PM
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    We didn’t have a wedding cake but we did have other dessert options. As long as there’s some sort of dessert it’s fine.
  • CourtneyBrittain
    Master August 2019
    CourtneyBrittain ·
    • Flag

I think honestly it's up to you. I do think the guests will be expecting a cake or some sort of dessert in the very least, but that by no means means you need to have one!

If it helps, my fiancé and I are going with Walmart for our cakes because a 3 tiered cake that feed 134 people is only $140! They can only do chocolate, white, or marble flavor but it's delicious and affordable!

• Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Typically I would say no to favors; but you could buy candy in bulk and have those at the tables. Get some organza bags, add a thank you tag, and you're all set!

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

I think as long as you have some type of dessert you are fine!

• Samantha
    Expert October 2019
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I don't think its weird at all! We're having a very small two tier cake our friend is making and pies and cupcakes. Maybe you could do some cookies and cupcakes for something sweet? But I wouldn't sweat not having a cake.
    I feel like there's so many unnecessary expenses with weddings!
  • Sara
    Expert October 2020
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    I've never actually eaten the cake at any wedding I've been to, but I'm always too busy dancing. Plus most times I think the cakes are dry and nasty by the time they are served.

You can always do a little presentation cake for cutting and pictures and serve a sheet cake that is cut and plated in the background.
  • Courtney
    Super September 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    I think any dessert is fine. You could do something pretty cost effective like sams club cupcakes or cookies or a cake from a grocery store. I think something sweet is a nice way to end the meal though, it doesn’t have to be an elaborate cake.
  • Destiny
    VIP May 2020
    Destiny ·
    • Flag
    Maybe do a cookie cake just so theres a sweet? Can just but some store cookies and tier them

Do we really need a wedding cake? Would anyone even care? 1
  • Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

We aren't having a cake and never intended too. It is your wedding. You are definitely not required to have one. We are having donut towers and a s'mores bar instead so we will have dessert options. Maybe just do cookies and cupcakes or just a variety of cookies, fruit parfaits...it is completely up to you and what is in your budget. As long as you have some kind of dessert item there, you will be fine.

• Michaela
    Super May 2020
    Michaela ·
    • Flag

I would be super excited to see cookies at a wedding, like a variety. You could literally buy them from Walmart, put them on nicer platters and no one would know the difference!!

• Kellie Martinez
    Super October 2019
    Kellie Martinez ·
    • Flag

I've seen a looooot of people have donut towers, donut walls, dessert bars, candy bars, etc etc and any of these options (some way cheaper than others) are great but I personally feel like guests expect dessert going to a wedding. They will get over it if there isn't anything I just wanted to suggest a few alternatives

fun candy barDo we really need a wedding cake? Would anyone even care? 2

dessert barDo we really need a wedding cake? Would anyone even care? 3

donut cakeDo we really need a wedding cake? Would anyone even care? 4

donut wallDo we really need a wedding cake? Would anyone even care? 5

• Brittanie
    Dedicated June 2020
    Brittanie ·
    • Flag
    I recommend a fake cake. I used to work in a boutique bakery and everything was way too expensive so for brides that didn’t want to spend the money on all the servings they needed, we would have round or square styrofoam pieces that we just decorated like cake and it made for a beautiful show at weddings, and we’d make the bride and groom 1 actual 6” cake for them. I think dessert tables are better than a cake too because they’re (usually) cheaper and offer a lot more of a variety.
  • Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    If you can't afford it don't sweat it. I do think some kind of dessert is needed but honestly cookies or donuts would be pretty rad.sheet cakes from chain stores are pretty reasonable to buy and nobody will notice or care if you don't do a professional cake
  • Natalie
    Just Said Yes July 2020
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    My fiancé and I are not cake people, our venue has an option for a desert table and we’re doing that instead!
  • L
    Devoted June 2019
    LaShonda ·
    • Flag
    Try a small personal cake just for yall to cut... It's your day, so u can go without a cake, or option for a sheet cake, cupcakes, fruit, or nothing at all! Stick 2 ur budget... I optioned for simple sheet cakes and a 2 tier groom cake .. I originally wanted 3 tier bride cake... I cut my cake budget in half by doing that. Talk with your bakery... try the small non chain bakeries

Do we really need a wedding cake? Would anyone even care? 6
  • Samantha
    Devoted December 2019
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I think you can get away with no cake! Maybe provide some other dessert that a little more cost friendly like cookies or brownies so your guests still have something sweet?
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    I would have something for dessert. You could go to Walmart or Costco or something inexpensive and get a cake or some other desserts. My son just got married a few months ago and he wanted his grandmother to make his favorite cake for them and then they have small dessert trays for everyone else.
  • D
    Super July 2020
    D ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh I like that!
  • CDickman
    VIP September 2019
    CDickman ·
    • Flag
    I would do some kid of dessert but does not have to be cake.
  • Jessica
    VIP October 2019
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, were doing other desserts.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics