We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Angela
Beginner October 2021

Destination Wedding

Angela, on June 24, 2019 at 11:14 AM Posted in Planning 0 20
Saved Save

Hello all! So I got engaged on this day last year & I have just started wedding planning Smiley xd I just wanted some advice on destination weddings? I'm looking at Mexico right now but I'm just afraid of the fact I won't be able to try the food or actually see the location in person before our wedding! I made a rough draft guest list with 100 people & I tried to shorten it but between my huge family & my fiance's it's just not possible. & I'm looking for our budget to be around $10K-$15K. Any advice on budget & just destination weddings in general would be appreciated Smiley winking

20 Comments

• Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    If you are having a destination wedding, be prepared for a lot of declines from that 100 people. Destination weddings are great for the couple because they don't have a lot of the expense when it is at a resort. However, they are very expensive for the guests as the guests usually have to stay or are encouraged to stay at the resort. A lot of times, people tend to use the wedding as a vacation and stay the whole week. You may end up with only a handful of guests able to spend the money required to attend, depending on the financial situation if your guest list.
  • Allie
    Expert April 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    We had a DW in Mexico this past April. We had 17 people and spent just over $10k. We spent a lot on upgrades but our friends did not do any upgrades, had 50 people, and also managed to spend $10k at the same resort.

You have to kind of ‘give in’ and rely on the wedding planners at the resort- knowing this is their one sole job and that they are GREAT at it. They’ll make it beautiful and make sure it all works out. You get to have opinions and wants and needs and they’ll figure it out from there.

We were really reliant on other people’s reviews as well. You can definitely stay at the resort beforehand and try everything but we didn’t.
  • Jazmin
    Super April 2019
    Jazmin ·
    • Flag

Well, I wrote a few discussions about this topic.

The biggest decision is your venue, you can have a resort wedding or get a restaurant that specializes in weddings as well ( here are the pros and cons). With destination weddings, you can opt for a more relaxed look or a non-traditional dress. I got mine from Lulus ( here you can find more info) and lastly, pay attention to hidden costs ( here's a list of the once I faced). Good luck!! Smiley smile

• Amber
    Devoted May 2021
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    I’m planning a destination wedding too and picking the resort has been the hardest part! We crossed Mexico off our options list due to having some important guests that aren’t allowed to travel there due to their jobs AND I really dislike that you’re required to have a blood test done in Mexico before you can get your marriage license.

Here’s what I’ve been doing to try to ease my Type A “I need to know ALL the things” personality lol:

I’m working with a travel agent who I know and trust and that’s helped a lot. I’ve been looking at TripAdvisor reviews and when I see someone posting they got married there recently, I’ve been messaging them directly to see how their experience was. I’ve also joined some FB groups for the resorts we’re considering and I’ve posted there asking for recent brides and messaging them as well.
  • Perla
    Dedicated November 2020
    Perla ·
    • Flag
    We are also doing a destination wedding, Riviera Maya. Of course I had help from my sister who is a travel agent and let me know which resorts were good and in my budget. She has been handling everything herself she just sends me pictures of what they offer and then i pick. I got engaged last year so I let the guests we were inviting know 2 yrs in advance to start saving. I budgeted about 15k that's including my dress, airfare, gifts and my wedding package which is 5k for 50 people. Hopefully this helps. Congrats again 😊
  • Wendy
    Super August 2020
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    We are doing a DW in Cancún Mexico next year... I started planning last year. Narrow it down to location in Mexico, then down to resort. Once you have a couple of resorts compare their wedding packages and their prices, then compare the actual resort... look at many reviews from multiple sources.. that’s what I did... I ultimately chose Finest Playa Mujeres and staying at their Excellence rooms which is adults only. We have never been there so we are relying on all the reviews online. We have 55 guests as of now (started with 30 guests) but of course everyone assumes they’re invited lol. Plus our parents added additional guests.. I compromised with my second choice for the resort (#1 was Hyatt Ziva) to stay on budget.... as of now we are spending 12K, I don’t want to go above 15K. That includes the wedding package, our 1 week stay, estimating the flights, my dress(not spending more than $500), his clothes (not a suit), the DJ, photographer, and invites... I am not adding any additional decor or anything more than what’s included in my wedding package. My wedding planner has been good so far, communication is slow sometimes specially now during wedding season so you have to be very patient and trust them..

if you have have any specifics ask away!! And congratulationsSmiley smile!!
  • Diana
    Savvy June 2021
    Diana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    If I may ask, which resort did you decide on? I’m having such a hard time deciding 😭
  • Angela
    Beginner October 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes you're absolutely right. I've done some research & it seems like I might be spending more than just having it in the states... I'm looking at California right now Smiley xd

• Angela
    Beginner October 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah I figured that much. I've been reading so many reviews I just can't decide Smiley cry

• Angela
    Beginner October 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

These discussions are great thank you!

• Angela
    Beginner October 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I did see that about the blood test & marriage license... If anything I'll probably do a sympbolic ceremony? I've noticed that its extra money just getting your marriage license there.

I'm the same way which is why I'm freaking out a little lol!

• Angela
    Beginner October 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's a a great idea! I got engaged June of last year but I held off planning due to financial reasons. I wish I would've at least researched & done the same (oh well it's in the past now).

You're so blessed to have her helping you out! Thank you & I'm sure you're gonna be a beautiful bride Smiley smile

• Angela
    Beginner October 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think my total number of guests would get lower once I send the invited but I roughly have about 100 & that's mainly my family Smiley cry I honestly might just end up doing the wedding in the states but I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions.. thank you!

• Angela
    Beginner October 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I actually might end up doing my wedding in the states, most likely California. It's where I was born & it has special meaning so I think it would be better.

I did check out Hotel Xcaret & it looks like a dream! If I do decide on Mexico, I might do it there because it looks so beautiful Smiley love

• Wendy
    Super August 2020
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I thought about doing mine in Las Vegas (that’s where I’m from but moved to the west coast), but I was going to be spending about the same with a little bit more of guests, but that’s not what I want at all.. I’m not traditional so my wedding won’t be a typical one, we’re not doing anything traditional, my dress won’t even be white..(red) lol... and so I went with what I want instead of what’s best for everyone else. Whoever want to go will show up and if not then I’m fine with that... lol anyways, good luck!!
  • Perla
    Dedicated November 2020
    Perla ·
    • Flag
    The resort we chose is called Gran Bahia akumal.
  • Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    Hi Angela! I had a destination wedding in Mexico. We did Playa del Carmen. We had about 84 guest in our list and we were hoping for 50 to 65 at tops and I ended up with 45. I had an amazing group but I was a little sad with a few guest that couldn’t make it. As far as budget you’ll be able to stay on track in your pick an all inclusive hotel and have the wedding there. Is restricted to the vendors they use therefor picking outside vendors can end up costing you a lot more so in house vendors are the way to go sometimes. I personally had a wedding outside a hotel but that mean hiring each and every single vendor on my own. I enjoy the planning but it does add a lot more to you!
    If you have any questions about venues, vendors or anything at all that I can help let me know.
  • Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    Sorry I forgot to mention this..
    In regards to testing the food I was able to travel before but if you’re not the. Try making it a few days before the wedding about 4 or 5 and do testing and run thru this last minute things that most vendors would accommodate for you in just a few days before. Just make sure is weekdays so is easier for them to fit you in.
  • Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Finest is beautiful! This is one of my photographer favorite venue!
  • Wendy
    Super August 2020
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    YeY!!! I can’t wait!!!

Comment on this discussion

Related articles