FutureMrsForte
Devoted February 2016

Colored lip or nude lip?

FutureMrsForte, on October 19, 2015 at 10:41 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 25
Saved

Hi guys!

I have been in such debate about my make up! I think I definitely want to do a cool color smokey eye...with browns and tans and possibly a little gold as well! But what about the lip? I am thinking neutral because I don't want a colored lip to be outdated in the future years! Some colors that I think are awesome now I know I will probably not like in the future or may be inapproriate for such a formal event. Thoughts?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Chelsea B. Design Studio, on October 21, 2015 at 9:14 AM
  • Minerva
    VIP August 2016
    Minerva ·
    • Flag

I like your instinct to keep the lip simple, especially if you are doing a smokey eye. Do you have any inspiration pics to share?

• kahlcara
    Master August 2013
    kahlcara ·
    • Flag

If you're doing a smokey eye with neutral tones, I wouldn't do anything brightly colored on the lips, but you might want to do a little more than nude. Maybe a pinkish lip that's a tone or two darker than your natural lip color?

• KitandKaboodle
    Master November 2016
    KitandKaboodle ·
    • Flag

If you're going to do a smokey eye, definitely due a nude/neutral lip.

• Mrs.High
    VIP June 2016
    Mrs.High ·
    • Flag

I plan on doing a smokey eye with a pale pink lipstick. That way it won't be too much but it will give a little color to my lips.

• Kathleen Smith
    Kathleen Smith ·
    • Flag

I like what kahlcara suggests. Definitely talk to a MUA/department store. As a photographer, I can easily enhance/edit skin. What is harder to enhance without looking Photoshopped are the eyes and lips. What kahlcara said.

• Kimi
    Master August 2016
    Kimi ·
    • Flag

I plan to do the same thing, really play up my eyes, but go light on lips. I don't really ever wear lipstick & once it's gone I don't reapply. Anything heavy or dark wouldn't look like me at all.

• JamieLynn
    Master June 2016
    JamieLynn ·
    • Flag

What do you normally wear on your lips? I'd play up one or the other, a bold eye or lip.. I'm excited to wear a red lip color for the wedding, so my eyes won't be very dramatic.

• FutureMrsForte
    Devoted February 2016
    FutureMrsForte ·
    • Flag

I am thinking something like this photo but maybe a little smokier. I dont want to go too dark because I feel like often times it looks like the eyes are sunken in when there is too much smokiness. I definitely like the idea of a pale pink lip! I have the worst time keeping lipstick on even with lipstick liner so I think the lighter the color the less noticable it will be when the lipstick is coming off!

• Christina
    Master October 2017
    Christina ·
    • Flag

Hi @FutureMrsForte --- This article covers some tips from the pros: https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-ideas/hairstyles-makeup/wedding-makeup-artists-tell-all-how-to-get-a-look-you-ll-love

Are you doing your own make up? Talking to a pro will help you identify the best colors for you, including the lip! Knowing what will look good in photos is also helpful.

• Nicole
    VIP June 2017
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

@FutureMrsForte - LIQUID LIPSTICK! Kat Von D, Lime Crime, Jeffree Star, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Stila all have pretty good formulas. Find a shade and give it a try. I've had my liquid lipstick last upwards of 4-5 hours without needing a major touch up.

• FutureMrs.Scott
    Devoted April 2016
    FutureMrs.Scott ·
    • Flag

I never thought about the lipstick going outdated.. Very smart.. I also love your inspo pic for the eyes. I say since you are going with a smokey eye i would do a nude lip!

• AG13
    VIP April 2016
    AG13 ·
    • Flag

Check out blondie pink by Bobbi Brown. It is my FAVORITE color of all time. It not nude but its like a pinky, browish, mauvey color. It one of those "your lips but better colors"

• Angela
    Dedicated October 2015
    Angela ·
    • Flag

I was going to do the traditional bridal makeup, but im not a traditional person. So i am going with a smokey purple eye, our colors are purple and silver. But i am not sure what color lip i should do. lol I am excited!

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·
    • Flag

I wanted to do a neutral/nude lip, but my MUA insisted I do something at least more saturated b/c otherwise I would be washed out in pictures. In the end, I was happy with what she did, so I would strongly encourage you to keep an open-mind about it b/c your MUA should be an expert and be able to help guide you based on their experience.

• FutureMrsJohnson
    Super October 2015
    FutureMrsJohnson ·
    • Flag

I did red lips and mega lashes. IMO, those things never go out of style. Sephora makes an awesome lip stain that lasted for awhile. But I agree....choose one or the other. Never both.

• FutureMrsForte
    Devoted February 2016
    FutureMrsForte ·
    • Flag

@Angela: I was looking at her photos for inspiration as well! Her looks are absolutely gorgeous! Jacklyn Hill also seems to have some really great looks too!

@AG13 & Nicole & FutureMrsJohnson: I will definitely look those up! MAC has been the only lip liner that has worked for me! But I definitely will try anastasia because i LOVE LOVE LOVE their eyebrow pencil!

Thank you everyone for your advice! I will definitely look into everything! I think I definitely will go for a more nude color with a tint of pink!

• Kady
    Dedicated November 2015
    Kady ·
    • Flag

I agree with kahlcara. If it's not a really dark and heavy smokey eye go for something in between.

• Kmess
    Master October 2015
    Kmess ·
    • Flag

I think the whole idea of lip color looking dated in later years is ridiculous. Styles change constantly and as long as your look is relevant to now (which will be reflected in your photos) that's all that matters. I second the ladies who have suggested doing one or the other or a slight color on the lips with the smoky eyes.

• GrayCatVintage
    Master October 2015
    GrayCatVintage ·
    • Flag

I wore fuchsia on my lips - I would have been totally washed out in our photos because they were all taken outside in the sun. Yes, lip color can be added with photoshop but I think you need *some* color instead of going with a nude or buff.

• Kiwi Kawaii
    Master August 2016
    Kiwi Kawaii ·
    • Flag

Well, based on your inspiration picture, which I absolutely adore by the way, it think a subtle pink would be lovely. But nothing super warm that may take away from the look. See my picture idea below lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics