Teresa
Devoted September 2020

Bridesmaid wants her son at head table

Teresa, on December 31, 2019 at 10:31 AM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 98

Help guys!! My sister is one of my bridesmaids & said she wants her 6 year old son to sit at the head table with the rest of the bridesmaids & groomsmen. I want to please her but I dont know if that would be strange. I have a kids table but she is afraid that he wont eat well without her...
Help guys!! My sister is one of my bridesmaids & said she wants her 6 year old son to sit at the head table with the rest of the bridesmaids & groomsmen. I want to please her but I dont know if that would be strange.

I have a kids table but she is afraid that he wont eat well without her supervision. I offered that he can sit with my mom but I cant fully decide.

98 Comments

• Natalie
    Devoted January 2022
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’ve read through the whole thread, but I still don’t understand WHY you don’t want him at the head table or WHY you want him to be at the kids table? Especially after clarifying that the other kids are over 10, and he’s only 6. If the other wedding party members get to have their partners/chosen person with them, why should she just because her chosen person is a child?
  • Teresa
    Devoted September 2020
    Teresa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Her chosen person is her boyfriend. Reason why I have a kids tables is for KIDS!! So that cousins can catch up and I did mention that. I wasnt sure if it would look ODD for him to be the only child at an adult table that's why. I've already said all that
  • Stephanie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    If that’s the case you should j Clyde their kids with them my best friends daughter is with her and we have multiple tables for the bridal party!
  • Stephanie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Include* Sorry autocorrect messed up my message
  • Stephanie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    And I’m doing buffet but assigned seating still Smiley smile
  • Natalie
    Devoted January 2022
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    Well you never directly said that the issue was you thought it would look odd! If appearances are the concern I wouldn’t worry about it at all. Who would bat an eye at a mother staying with her young child? That doesn’t look odd at all.

Wanting the cousins to catch up doesn’t really make sense in this context. They are 10+ (so I’m guessing some 11 - 13 year olds as well?) and he is 6. I’m sure you remember being 11 and not having much to talk about with a 6 year old, and vice verse.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Jeez, not sure how that was negative...? I was just giving my opinion that it’s probably simplest to just let her sit with her kid if she wants...
  • Danielle
    Dedicated October 2020
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    That table is not a place for a six year old and I’m sure she can make sure he eats after the fact that’s your day and the fact that she ask that I’m sure you have a section for kids but not the wedding party table that’s adults only
  • Teresa
    Devoted September 2020
    Teresa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes! Thank you that's what I've been trying to say. You get me.
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    No. He needs to be at the kids table. If her only reason has to do with “eating”... then that’s really not a reason at all. He’s 6... he’ll be fine. Plus it’s a kids table, so they all “won’t eat well”. I’d tell your sister that her option is to walk over to the kids table and monitor him while he eats.
  • Teresa
    Devoted September 2020
    Teresa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes very true! Than you that's a great suggestion, she can just check on him.
  • thisismrsb
    Expert June 2019
    thisismrsb ·
    • Flag
    We had a sweetheart table and no head table. The bridesmaids and groomsmen all got to sit at different tables with their dates, families and friends. We designed our tables so that everyone sat with people they knew. We also hired a babysitter (a family friend) for our two year old nieces (my cousin and sister's daughters) and my sister's two month old was cared for by my brother's mother in law at the wedding. My sister's two year old decided she'd rather take part in the reception than stay with the sitter, so she sat with her parents at their table.

I think that it would be a good idea to have your nephew at the table with your mom to ease your sister's concerns. Maybe she could ask him if he wants to sit with the other children or with grandma.
  • T
    Just Said Yes August 2021
    Tatum ·
    • Flag
    Honestly it's your choice, you can tell her she can get up and leave but he is 6. If you don't want it put your foot down. It's your day and you cant please anyone.
  • Danielle
    Dedicated October 2020
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol yes I do
  • Ashley
    Just Said Yes September 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    I have a 6 year old son and he will be sitting with me I’m sure (I’m the bride). He will be 7 when we get married. I think when it comes to weddings everyone wants to do whatever is traditional. If you think it’s okay that he sits at the table, do it. You will look back and see this as a tiny thing that you stressed over for no reason. My coworker gave me advice last night and said do what I feel is right at my wedding, not everyone else’s opinions .
  • Ashley
    Just Said Yes September 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree!! I’d never sit my nephew separate from my sister.
  • E
    June 2021
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Her son should not sit at the table. this is your day, not hers

• Amanda
    Just Said Yes September 2022
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

In my personal opinion I would either have the kid sit with another family member or have your bridesmaid sit with him on a different table. Maybe I am just bitter from everyone being up my butt about the wedding stuff though.

• VIP November 2021
    ·
    • Flag
    Hmmm no.. even OUR daughter will be sitting St the kids table - one it’s more fun for the kid - two you don’t have to watch what’s said at the table and three you can’t pick and choose that one kid can and others can’t...
  • Sara
    Expert February 2020
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with this. There's a huge difference between a six year old and ten+ year olds.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics