K
Savvy June 2021

Aug 22 2020 wedding

Kayla, on May 20, 2020 at 7:38 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 10
Saved
Are we crazy to have our wedding this August and hoping it will still be normal? We are getting married in new Hampshire... Thoughts??? Anyone else in the same boat??

10 Comments

Latest activity by Amy, on May 22, 2020 at 4:12 PM
  • Nefetera
    VIP March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    Ill say it depends on the state and how many ppl is allowed for social gathering here in NYC weren't even on pharse one so for me living here it's a big No No. Plus with everything going on i personality dont feel comfortable being around a large crowd. That's just me.
  • Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    First of all, I would like to say I am sorry you are going through this! This is such a crazy situation none of us brides could have ever predicted! Unfortunately, I would say it is very unlikely you will have a “normal” wedding in August. Unless this virus disappears as quickly as it appeared, there will likely still be lots of restrictions in place in August, meaning you may have to cut down your guest list, social distance during the wedding and reception, you may have to have people wear masks, buffet lines and drink lines may still not be an option, and if social distancing is still required then dancing, hugging, group photos, etc. will also be out of the question. If you decide to continue on with an August wedding, I would have contingency plans in place for all of these things- that way you are not stressed out and scrambling at the last minute.
  • Trisha
    Super October 2020
    Trisha ·
    • Flag

It All Depends On Your State. Im In VA And Our Wedding Is In October, We're Still Planning To Have it. If Youre Worried Think Of Some back Up Plans

• Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag

I am still planning a wedding for August 1 here in Iowa. I think you have to wait it out a bit longer. Things with this virus change soo quickly. We are not making any final decision until June! Just have to wait and see what your state is allowing for gatherings and such.

• A
    Super December 2020
    Anais ·
    • Flag
    I think having a “normal” wedding will depend on your guest count. Depending on where you live, you might only be allowed to have 50 people max. I do agree that you can wait a little longer. As states are just starting to reopen I think the next few weeks will be telling: if cases stay low then governors might decide to open more businesses and might allow bigger gatherings. I would definitely have a Plan B ready though just in case
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I think it makes sense to be hopeful that things would be better by then but again, anything post pandemic for large gatherings i don't feel will ever truly be normal again.

• Elizabeth
    Super June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I think it depends on your guest count. A "normal" wedding with a guest count of 300 seems unreasonable for August. But if you're already planning a smaller wedding, it may work out. Definitely hold out a bit longer and talk to your vendors, but you may have to downsize a bit.

• Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

Our wedding is August 16th, and we're in SoCal. We have a guest list of 50. I'm hoping with our small guest count, things should be doable. But also aware that some people may not feel comfortable, and we may need to continue social distancing/wearing masks. If that's the case, I will postpone, as much as I don't want to. But we are going to be making that decision at the very last minute, like maybe a month before.

• Rebecca
    Master August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

I'm with Nefetera, though we are invited to a VT wedding this fall.

But I'm also in the NYC metro area - and I don't anticipate being in any crowds larger than 30 for the rest of the year.

• Amy
    WeddingWire Administrator August 2013
    Amy ·
    • Flag

Hi Kayla,

It sort of depends on what you mean by "normal." Weddings during the COVID-19 pandemic (and even post-pandemic events, when we get there) probably will not be the exact same as last year's weddings. This article may be helpful for looking ahead to the future: What Will Weddings Be Like After COVID Restrictions are Lifted?

I don't think you're crazy, and you're definitely not alone. You can connect with some other August couples here:

Any August Brides Still Holding Onto Hope?

August and September weddings 2020

i need you, August 2020 Brides.

August Wedding & Covid-19

My August brides

The general consensus for August weddings is that you should continue to monitor the situation and try to make a decision by the end of May, which is super soon (obviously).

I hope everything works out for you! Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics