We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

T
Expert July 2014

A drunk Bride?

Tammy, on April 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 31
Saved Save

I'm watching 4 Weddings and one of the brides walk down the aisle drunk. When she said her vows she was incoherent and acting stupid.

However, I have a question. Is it ok for the bride to get drunk at her ceremony? With all the alcohol being served, should she refrain from getting intoxicated?

31 Comments

• Clair
    Dedicated September 2012
    Clair ·
    • Flag

From what I understand toasts are common with the bridal party before the start of the ceremony, but I would personally refrain from being so blitzed i dont remember the day.. drinks are ok, I'm just going to avoid sloppiness.

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

I think in general, you shouldn't be sloppy drunk in front of people, particularly at your own wedding. I mean, if you're drunk, would the marriage even be legal? The argument could be made that a bride (or groom) wasn't of sound mind.

It's one thing to have a toast, or a morning mimosa, but being sloppy is never cute on anyone.

• kristin
    Expert August 2013
    kristin ·
    • Flag

My first wedding i got married by a minster, she told us if we looked or acted drunk she would not marry us

my JP this time has told us that we can have 1 or 2 but again if we are drunk or acting like it then she will not marry us

• FMC
    Master June 2012
    FMC ·
    • Flag

Ha, we were just talking about this in chat..Totally embarrassing

• Jessica
    Super June 2012
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I agree....being publicly drunk isn't a good look ever on anyone...but especially on your wedding day. I vote NOT okay

• Mrs. Jaclyn Willson
    Master April 2012
    Mrs. Jaclyn Willson ·
    • Flag

It was actually in our vows that it was something we were entering into of sound mind. I can't remember all the exact words but something like that.

Plus it was important to both me and FH that we be totally coherent when saying our vows. Though I was so nervous, I probably should have had a stiff drink lol

I didnt even drink much at the reception though cause I was so busy.

• Julie B
    Master May 2012
    Julie B ·
    • Flag

It never even occurred to me to have a drink before the ceremony. I probably won't drink too much at my reception either...at least I hope I don't!

• CandyB
    Super June 2012
    CandyB ·
    • Flag

Definitely not a good move to be sloppy drunk @ your own wedding. I plan to have a toast before everything starts, but have made it clear to everyone in my BP including FH to not, under any circumstances, be drunk during the ceremony. We will be having an after party @ a local bar/lounge where everyone is entitled to get as sloshed as they like Smiley winking

• FMC
    Master June 2012
    FMC ·
    • Flag

I will be doing a mimosa before the ceremony while getting ready..but no drunkity drunk for me.

• Janae
    Dedicated August 2014
    Janae ·
    • Flag

I figure it is your day and you should do whatever you want. If I feel like having some drinks I am going to. Plus I am not paying for everyone else to get drunk if I can't act a fool. hehe

• Jessica
    Master July 2012
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I will probably be a little champange-rosy when I walk down the isle... Me and my bridesmaids have a serious love of mimosas, so they are very much part of the getting ready plan!

By the end of my reception I doubt I will be legally OK to get behind the wheel of a car, but obviously I don't want to spend my wedding night praying to the porcelain god!! I want to enjoy some of that booze I'm shelling out for, but I plan on eating enough and pacing myself so it doesn't fuzzy up the memories of the day and night.

• M
    Savvy September 2012
    m ·
    • Flag

I think I may have a little drink before I walk down the aisle to calm my nerves just so I wont be too nervous but I wont be drunk!

• T
    Expert July 2014
    Tammy ·
    • Flag

I pretty much agree with most of you. I plan to enjoy the cocktails, but being drunk is not on the menu.

• Mrs. Reese's Pieces
    VIP October 2012
    Mrs. Reese's Pieces ·
    • Flag

Have a couple drinks throughout the day? Definitely.

But drunk? Nah... I told fiance (we both enjoy drinking) that we will NOT be getting trashed at the reception... but we'll for sure be feeling pretty good.

• Heather
    Master September 2012
    Heather ·
    • Flag

GET CRUNK!!!! Im probably gonna be falling down the isle instead of walking. JK!! i think it is important for the bride to HAVE FUN and to be COMFORTABLE, BUT she also needs/should be respectful and presentable. it takes A LOT for me to be complete drunk mess, so even if i did drink all day and night (which i wont) i would be fine, but people who are light weights should take it slow and designate someone as the drink cutter offer if the bride gets too redick.

• MT
    Devoted March 2012
    MT ·
    • Flag

We had a toast before the ceremony and I had a mixed drink when we arrived to the reception. I love to drink and be merry, but I found that there wasn't enough time to continually drink throughout the night. At most I had 2 full alcoholic beverages.

I was busy making sure I ate and participated in the program (first dance, cake cutting, speech, etc).

p.s. don't forget you will need to visit the restroom

• keli716
    VIP September 2012
    keli716 ·
    • Flag

I only plan on drinking for the toast. FH is going to have a couple beers, but we have both made it a point not to get drunk.

• KitCat
    VIP August 2012
    KitCat ·
    • Flag

I believe being drunk would invalidate the marriage. That being said, I will probably have a shot of liquid courage before I walk. Not enough to get me drunk by any means, but enough to take the edge off. I get dreadful anxiety being the focus in front of so many people. Oh heck, even 10 people.

• Amy
    Super June 2013
    Amy ·
    • Flag

I just saw that episode too! I have a tendency to go from sober to sloppy in 2.5 seconds, so I plan to stick to a few light drinks that I know wont hit me too hard. Enough to dull the anxiety, but not embarrass myself in front of my grandparents.

• Gonna B Mrs. B
    Super August 2012
    Gonna B Mrs. B ·
    • Flag

I think its ok to drink but you should never drink to get drunk especially at your wedding or an important event.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles