A
Just Said Yes May 2021

2 Weddings Due to Covid-19

Amanda, on May 6, 2020 at 9:46 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1 7
Saved
I’m having 2 weddings due to COVID-19. (We are 35/36, been together 6 years, and this is both our first marriage.) The first wedding will be in a small church on our original date in 2.5 weeks with a priest, musician, and 3 parents socially distant. The second will be our postponed outdoor wedding and reception with 100-150 guests in front of a white historic home one year later in May 2021.
Questions: (1.) Should I wear my wedding dress to both weddings or should I buy a casual white dress online for the first wedding? I haven’t seen any long dresses I liked online but saw possible knee length ones. My dad says I should save my dress for next year but my close friends and matron of honor say why not wear it both times. (2.) Should I keep my first wedding private or should I share pictures on social media and tell people? I still want next year to feel like a wedding since I’ve always wanted a big celebration and we are paying a lot of money for the postponed event. In the past my parents and matron of honor kept their first courthouse wedding secret and then both had a big catholic wedding with lots of guests many months later. On the other hand this is a unique pandemic situation. My coworker shared her news of her small April wedding with everyone at work and is having her postponed wedding with guests in July but mine is one whole year later.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Katelyn, on June 10, 2020 at 11:41 AM
  • C
    Dedicated April 2022
    Chris ·
    • Flag
    If it’s feasible for you to buy a casual white dress for the first wedding I would do that. Save the wedding dress for the larger event. I wouldn’t keep the first wedding a complete secret bc it would be weird to call your future spouse your fiancé in front of people who don’t know. I think tell your immediate family but just don’t announce it on social media or start calling everyone to say “hey we’re married now”. Let it come up organically if it has to.
  • A
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh yes! We aren’t keeping it a complete secret. We will tell people if they ask and family and close friends already know about both weddings.
  • Nefetera
    VIP March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    Well this is exciting ..Ill say the orginal dress save for next year for the big wedding and get a semi casual- formal dress for now.
  • Karina
    Dedicated June 2020
    Karina ·
    • Flag
    We are doing the same, I will be getting a casual white dress and saving my actual dress for the celebration next year. I can’t imagine wearing this elegant dress in a backyard and I kind of want to keep that wow factor for my FH and guests to see next year.
  • Amy
    WeddingWire Administrator August 2013
    Amy ·
    • Flag

Hi Amanda,

Congratulations on your engagement *and* having a game plan during this crazy time!!!

1a) What do you want to do?

1b) For the record, if you love your dress, I'm with your BMs. Wear it as many times as you can!

2a) What do you want to do?

2b) As you said, this is a unique situation. Couples are handling it in a variety of ways. Your wedding next year is still your wedding, whether you share/announce the smaller, private ceremony or not. Your friends and family should support whatever you decide to do.

Also, in case you're interested, there are several ongoing discussions on the subject of having two events (ceremony now, reception later OR elopement now, full wedding later):

Covid-19: Marriage now, wedding later?

Covid19 Brides still getting married on original date?

Small ceremony now, big wedding later

Etiquette in the time of coronavirus?

I'm Eloping because of Covid-19.. can i still do all of the traditional events?

I'm wishing you the best of luck! Smiley heart

• A
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! This is really thoughtful and helpful. I’m meeting the seamstress this weekend (phase one in my state is beginning). I’m going to see if she can take in the top of my dress but leave fabric in case it needs to be taken out next year some. I just bought a couple casual dresses online so I imagine once I try them on in 10 days I’ll have a better idea of what I want to do.
  • Katelyn
    Savvy May 2021
    Katelyn ·
    • Flag

I am doing this same thing and feel like us COVID brides are having to make so many extra decisions now. However, I feel somewhat lucky that I get to have TWO special days to celebrate, our legal and small intimate marriage on our original date in September and then our big extravagant wedding next year when hopefully things return to somewhat normal (whatever normal may be).

I started looking on amazon and lulus and found an adorable dress that was casual, comfy, white, and beautiful and only $35 on clearance. I bought it and plan to wear that during the intimate civil ceremony so my big WOW dress is for the bigger day and church etc.

As far as sharing photos, it's totally up to you Smiley smile It might be fun maybe to share a few as like a sneak peak or maybe instead of that you can always create an album on Shutterfly or something and have it for yourselves and then share it on your entrance table at the big wedding later on Smiley smile

I think whatever you decide will be great and you'll have two really memorable days!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics