Maria of Italy Reviews

Maria of Italy View more information

1 User photo

• Amanda
    Amanda N. Married on 09/07/2019

Excellent Service & Selection!

I got my gorgeous wedding gown from Maria's and I have received endless compliments on how beautiful it was. Kelly is the best to work with, especially for such an important aspect of your wedding. The alterations also came out perfectly! I highly recommend Maria of Italy for anyone looking for their wedding dress, bridesmaid dresses, flower girl, etc.
    Lauren Married on 11/11/2017
    I really enjoyed my experience at Maria of Italy. And I would call it an experience because that's what they gave me. It wasn't me shopping for any dress to where at any time, it was my wedding dress and one of the most special times in my life and that is how the staff treated it. They were honest, extremely friendly, responsive and I really loved working with them.

The selection of bridesmaid dresses was a bit limited, but as far as wedding gowns go - I would recommend Maria of Italy to any bride who wants that personal, yet professional, touch. They have a good stock of wedding gowns - and nice ones too. Maria does the alterations as well, and she's not only picky, but good!!

Madeleine Married on 06/10/2017
    Maria of Italy is the bridal boutique where I got my wedding dress. I cannot say enough how amazing Kelly, the owner, is! I went looking for a dress just a few months prior to the big day and Kelly did a great job of helping me find a dress that I felt amazing in. While this is a smaller bridal boutique, Maria of Italy still has a great selection of dresses to chose from. The dress I ended up choosing was a discontinued dress and Kelly gave me a great deal on it! Not much work needed to be done to my dress aside from a hem and a few adjustments up top, but I did want to add some "bling" to it and Kelly was more than happy to provide me with the different options. Where I was in a short time frame, the alterations and additions to my dress needed to be done rather quick and Kelly did an amazing job in such little time. When I originally purchased my dress, Maria of Italy had a special going on where you could pick a heart out of a bowl and on each heart was a special deal. I picked one that said "buy one, get one half off accessories" so I was able to purchase my veil and a hair piece from Maria of Italy as well. While I was unable to work it out in my schedule, Kelly's sister owns the hair salon in the same building and she offers a free hair trial for those who purchase their wedding dress through Maria's. This is definitely something to take advantage of if you can! This bridal boutique is located in downtown Plymouth and while the parking situation is difficult, it is very much worth the walk from where to find a place to park to the shop. I will definitely be recommending this place to my friends as they get engaged!
    Christine Married on 10/10/2015
    We came to Maria's as Plymouth was a good half way point for all the girls. I was so glad that we came here. They have a great assortment of dresses for all shapes and sizes and very reasonable to. Kristina was a great consultant, so very helpful, and with her help everyone was happy. Kelly who is the owner and seamstress is friendly and has alot of talent. She redesigned my MOH dress, and so many people commented on her dress as well as the girls. The cost of alteration was very reasonable. I highly recommend coming to Maria's, for Bridal or bridesmaids, Mother of the bride/groom, flower girls or etc.. Anyone who walks away from Maria's unhappy, wouldn't be happy anyplace.
  • Danielle G
    Danielle Married on 05/17/2015
    Kelly (owner) of Maria of Italy was exceptional to deal with for my wedding. I already had my dress, but she did all of the alterations for it and we purchased our bridesmaid dresses from her shop. She also altered those. She has an infectiously positive attitude and is incredibly talented. She had many suggestions and never wavered in her ability to fix a problem. She was incredibly flexible to schedule appointments with and her staff (Chris) was equally wonderful to deal with. Upbeat and friendly and helpful only begins to describe these two. I would recommend anyone to go to this shop whether they are celebrating a wedding or going to the prom or other formal event.
    Karissa Married on 04/26/2014
    I went to David's Bridal first because I didn't think I was someone who needed special attention and I had a not-so-good experience there. So, when I came to Maria's, the difference was like night and day. I was the only one trying on dresses, so Kelly gave me and my wedding party her full attention. She owns the shop and does a lot of the alterations, so she could quickly and confidently tell me how easy it would be to change things on dresses I didn't like and what the cost would be.

I wound up finding a dress I loved, so I bought it and it came in just within the time frame they said it would be there. They recommended I come in just to make sure its the right size still, and I'm glad I did, because it was made 2" too short! (It wasn't the shops fault, I saw the order form, Kelly ordered the correct length) So, it was sent back and expedited, and I had it back within a few weeks- it fit perfectly and was beautiful.

After that, everything went smoothly. I just needed a few small alterations and the bustle, but everything was done perfectly. Everyone there was a pleasure to work with, and it was really nice to get a friendly smile every time I walked in.

There's not a lot of reasonably priced bridal shops on the south shore. This place is a jewel, I definitely recommend it.
  • User984323 2+ years ago
    It was the first and only place I went to look for my dress. And it was a dress I wouldn't have picked for myself ! Just go there and say what you are picturing and then trust :) they'll find you a beautiful perfect dress. I can't tell you how many compliments I got and how many people told me they've never seen a dress like mine before. Go here, no where else !
    P Married on 07/07/2012
    I had a great experience at Maria's of Italy. The service I received was exceptional, Louie does a great job. Before going to Maria's I had gone to one other bridal shop and felt pressured into buying my dress right then and I was not ready since I had not looked at many dresses. I felt this is a very important decision and wanted to make sure I picked the perfect dress. The next day I went to Maria's and found a great selection of dresses by some of the best known designers. The dresses I tried on fit perfectly and looked absolutely beautiful. The prices are great and I have to admit at first I was not going to go to Maria's because I thought the dresses would cost a fortune and be way out of my budget, but I am so glad I went they are very reasonably priced and my dress is gorgeous. I have yet to have my alterations done but I am definately looking forward to it, I have heard many wonderful things about Maria and the work she does. I would definately recommend going to Maria's... I never once felt pressured or rushed into purchasing a dress, they let you take as much time as you need and are very helpful durning the process of making your very important decision. I can't say enough good about Maria's I truly loved my experience.
    Jessica Married on 07/08/2011
    Maria and her son Luigi are the best. They are very knowledgeable about dresses and weddings in general. They had some great tips. I would recommend them to anyone getting married. Their dresses are beautiful and reasonably priced. Prices are on par with shops like David's Bridal, but the quality is MUCH better. I loved my gown and felt absolutely gorgeous!

We ended up ordering the bridesmaid dresses from Michael's of Boston (Pembroke, MA) big mistake. After he measured all three of the bridesmaids wrong. He did alterations on 2 of the dresses and completely butchered them. I mean really bad, seams coming undone, holes down the side, puckering hem, rips, used white thread to sew bright blue dress...bad. Anyway when my sister finally gave up and picked up her dress as it was we explained the situation to Maria. Even though it was only days before the wedding, a holiday weekend, and she had family to entertain she agreed to also redo the alterations on my sister's dress. What a difference!
    Kristin Married on 05/29/2010
    I bought my Maggie Sottero dress at Maria's and had a fantastic experience. They were extremely helpful in everything from fittings to veil selection and hair and accessories! The dress was such a fantastic deal and looked perfect. I would not shop anywhere else for a wedding gown. Maria is such a professional and knows exactly what she is doing and Lou knows exactly how to treat his brides! You can feel confident knowing that the most important dress of your life is in their hands!
    Julie Married on 08/15/2008
    My cousin had referred me to Maria's since she had bought her dress there last summer. They really went out of their way to make sure that my dress fit me perfectly. I had a hard time finding the right dress for my figure, but they made it work. I loved my dress and felt beautiful in it.
    Khara Married on 10/07/2007
    Maria of Italy is CLASS! The attention I received there was out of this world. Maria of Italy was referred to me through a friend and it was the first place I went to. I kept my options open and continued my search at 5 other bridal salons... none of which compared to Maria of Italy! So, of course, I went back to order the dress I loved the most! Maria's detail and perfection made my dress a work of art in itself. When she was done with the alterations, my gown fit me like it was made for my body only. Amazing work and attention! From this day on, if I am a bridesmaid or just need alterations...I will never go anywhere else! Thank you Maria of Italy... for everything!
    Sarah Married on 08/28/2015
    I bought my wedding dress from Kelly and the team at Maria of Italy in Plymouth. My MOH's friend had purchased her dress there under the previous ownership. I am so glad I came here!! Kelly and her team are SO accommodating, very responsive and overall just a joy to work with. I can't tell you how many times I called those poor girls at the salon, and they were always SO sweet and helpful. My bridesmaids needed last minute alterations to their dresses, and Kelly agreed to help even though her own wedding was right around the corner. It felt like a good friend doing me a favor. I am SO SO happy I got my dress here!!! Thanks so much ladies!!
  • Angela
    Angela Married on 08/11/2012
    Thanks to Luigi and Maria at Maria of Italy, I found the dress! It looks absolutely nothing like the dress I had imagined in my head, or even like any of the pictures that I had ripped out of bridal magazines, but it was completely perfect. In fact, it was pretty much the opposite of what I wanted. Don’t be fooled by the size of the shop, they have a great selection and Luigi is very good at what he does. At our first meeting he pulled a ton of dresses, some that I asked for and some that I didn’t ask for, and he was completely honest with me about which ones looked great, good, bad and terrible. When we narrowed it down to four, he waited patiently as I tried them each on a hundred times at our next visit. And when I finally chose her, he and Maria worked patiently with me through several (a lot) of appointments for alterations. Maria is so talented you can’t even tell that my dress was altered. My friends still talk about how amazing my dress was. They even worked with me to customize a veil. And their prices are so reasonable. I know the dress is important, but I just couldn’t imagine spending a ton of money on a dress I would wear for 10 hours. We were pleasantly surprised when we saw the price tag. They also have a great selection of bridesmaid dresses and offer a discount if you get the bridesmaid dresses there as well (both to the bride and the bridesmaids). Needless to say, they made finding all the dresses super easy and were a pleasure to work with. There is a lot of personality in that shop and it made every visit fun!
    Mary Married on 10/23/2010
    We had a wonderful experience. We found the perfect dress in our price range. It came in on time and the alterations were perfect
  • User1203319 2+ years ago
    My sister purchased her wedding gown here a few years ago, so I knew I would have good luck when I went there to select my own gown. Everyone there is SUPER friendly and they love to see a familiar face. They have a great selection of affordable designer gowns. The only downside is that Maria (owner and seamstress) is very expensive for alterations. She is VERY talented, but I was a bit shocked when I got my final bill for alterations. I do give her credit though - 2 days before the wedding, my lace dress was about 1-1.5 inches too big!! She was able to work her magic by the time I picked it up the following day.
    Maggie Married on 09/19/2009
    Of all my vendors, Maria of Italy was my favorite to work with! I bought my gorgeous Alfred Sung gown there and my bridesmaids all bought their gowns from Maria's too. I visited a few bridal shops, including one major discount chain which will remain nameless :) before going to Maria's and frankly I was sick of the experience already... I hated the snotty sales people and frenzied atmosphere at the other places I visited. Maris's was a breath of fresh air. It's a cute shop located above a great salon (Salon Noi which I would also DEFINITELY recommend!) and their selection is pretty good for a small boutique. Luigi helped me pick out the dress of my dreams ... we narrowed it down quickly and he was honest, funny, and charming throughout the entire process! Maria did all my alterations and while my dress was still a little big on my wedding day, I think that might have been my fault :) The alterations are pricey, but in line with what you'd pay at any other quality salon. I must have visited a dozen times between shopping for me, my girls, fittings, random "Can I see my dress?" visits... and theywere patient and friendly every time. He had my mom and my sisters and I laughing and enjoying each visit. By my wedding day (the day I finally picked up my dress!) I felt like I was a part of their family. That's something you can't get just anywhere!

If you're not yet sold on Maria's, consider this.... Luigi ordered my dress in the fall of 2008 for my Sept 2009 wedding and when it came in he noticed a pull in the fabric on the back of the dress.... he knew he had enough time to send it back and get a perfect one for me so he did.... he didn't tell me (of course, because I'd freak!) but he quietly had the new dress delivered and in the store ready for me when I needed it to begin fittings this summer. It was a pull that I probably would never have noticed but he did and he fixed it without stressing or worrying me! Wonderful service, I would definitely go back to Maria's (but I hope I don't have to!) Thanks Luigi and Maria!
    Jill M. Married on 09/29/2001

Wedding 2001

Maria was among to work with she fitted my dress into a size 0 I wore a Vera Wang the jewelry and my bridesmaids dresses were beautiful
    Vinny took his time w me to find the right dress the the problem was fitting it to my body!! Maria did it with unbelievable talent!! This was in 2000
  • User2130738 2+ years ago
    I purchased my sample dress from Maria. I also added a custom piece to the back and Kelly was so helpful. I think the dress was a little worn, more then I first saw, but overall on my wedding day I left amazing. She does amazing work and is willing to work with the customers. She even held the dress for me until I was ready to pick it up. She helped me out a lot and I am so grateful to have gone to her. She is very good at what she does.
    Alicia Married on 07/02/2011
    Loved my wedding dress! Maria of Italy is a great little shop in the heart of downtown Plymouth. It's above a hair salon, but don't let that discourage you from going in. They have beautiful bride & bridal party dresses and an extensive collection. They're helpful and patient when you're shopping for "the dress", offering advice and assisting you along the way; not overly pushy at all. Very nice family owned and operated shop!
    Andrea Married on 11/28/2008
    Luigi was great to work with and the price I paid for my Maggie Sottero Martina dress was unbelievable! The staff is brutally honest with brides about their opinions of the dresses brides try on so if your sensitive might not be the place to go but I liked their honesty.
    Caroline Married on 05/24/2009
    I bought my Maggie Sottero gown at Maria's and it was a good experience. They offered me an excellent price (RK Bridal in NYC was asking about $100 more for the same dress and their prices are usually the lowest I found) and were very warm and friendly when I went shopping. I didn't end up buying my veil here -- I'd wanted a lace mantilla style, and Maria didn't think that would go with my dress and so didn't really let me try those on... Also, didn't do alterations here, since when I went to try on the dress after it had come in, they had me take it home that day (which was fine -- my mother had space for it, but it would've been nice knowing it was safe and sound in a store away from her dog!) and I found someone cheaper. I used them for prom dresses and a graduation dress back in the day, and all were generally positive experiences so I would recommend.
    Sara Married on 03/16/2007
    I got my Casablanca 1776 dress from Maria of Italy in Plymouth and my experience was decent. My only real complaints would be that they never showed me how to do my bustle. They actually drew a diagram and gave it to me when I picked up the dress and we could not figure out how to bustle my dress the night of the wedding so we hooked the train and left the sides dangling. It looked terrible, but at least it was off the floor and out of the way. The dress was overpriced (I was given a 20% discount for ordering the day I tried it on) and I definitely could have found it for much less at other shops. I know one girl who got the same dress at a different store and she paid $680 (with no discount). My dress was listed as $925 at the shop. I ended up paying around $750 with my discount. They definitely were responsive to any questions I had and were very professional. They were very attentive the day I scheduled my first appointment to try on dresses and didn't make me feel like I wasn't welcome which is a plus. I would just recommend that you shop around before buying from here because you might find a bigger discount elsewhere.
    Alexa Married on 08/06/2016
    I had a good experience when I went dress shopping here. Kristina and Kelly were both in the shop and helped select a variety of dresses that matched my criteria. When I came back to get my measurements done to have the dress custom cut, it seemed a little rushed, and when the dress arrived it just barely hit the floor (I was wearing 2.5" heeled booties when I got my measurements which makes me think the measurement wasn't done correctly, so in hindsight I guess I should have checked the measurements myself?). The next series of appointments in the weeks leading up to my wedding were somewhat stressful -- Kelly's shtick is that she is "brutally honest" and she told me repeatedly that shoes I was bringing to the shop and trying on above a 2" heel didn't look good. I wasn't planning to wear flats on my wedding day, so this part was annoying.
    I ended up wearing 3" heels on my wedding day and the length was a non-issue. I loved the dress and Kelly's alterations (cups, bustle, taking out some of the ribbing) were good, but the length issue made this a stressful situation.
  • User2057673 2+ years ago
    First of all the shop is not owned by "Maria" anymore. It's now owned by a young girl and her sister owns the hair salon below it.
    I brought my very expensive gown there after purchasing it elsewhere for fittings so that it would be closer to home. Regretfully my gown was uncomfortable all day because it was too tight where it should have been looser and too baggy where it should have been tighter as it was a mermaid gown. Last fitting I felt rushed and she had to make adjustments where things were just not right. I guess that's what happens when you have hairdressers downstairs do the sewing for you! And the actual seamstress is too busy to do it! ( this came directly from the hairdresser herself! Oops? Right! ) That's not what people are paying for and not right! No choice but to wear it as is. Nice girl- cute shop but would I alter an item here again? Where she cut was in the wrong spot btw! Who cuts a dress up the chest???? Nobody! Must have been the hairdresser! No. I definitely do not recommend a wedding dress being altered. Oh and the earings that I bought there were beautiful and lasted all day:) until I took them off and the post broke. Even with all of this- my day was perfect.