Brown Stones Photography Reviews

4.6 out of 5 rating

• Katelyn
    Katelyn Married on 02/27/2022
      5.0 out of 5 rating

The best part of our wedding was having Brownstones capture our day!

Looking back on our Big Day, I cant put into words have thankful I was to have had Brownstones helping me through everything. My mother is a photographer, too, and she couldn't help be gawk at Keely's incredible work and ease throughout the day.
    Timelines were (of course) thrown off throughout the day, but Keely kept us moving along with comforting help as we got every perfect moment captured. She absolutely nailed every moment, and she was so fun to have by our side. My husband and I wish that we lived closer to have Keely photograph every milestone in our lives - She's just that incredible!
    Sarah S. Married on 01/10/2022

Stunning Photos

There are many reasons we chose Keely to be our wedding photographer. The biggest reason for me though was because I loved her true to color style and willingness to understand what exactly we were looking for in our photos. Keely was also super helpful in creating our timeline for the day and making sure we stayed on track to the best of our abilities.
    The photos we received were stunning and everyone who has seen them has said the same.. the color, the angles, the style… all of it came together to create the perfect photo gallery of our wedding.
  • Danielle
    Danielle B. Married on 10/30/2021

The Best Ever & Easiest Vendor Choice

There's really not enough great things I can say about Keely and BSP. We met Keely at a friends wedding and kind of hit it off with her. She was so nice and personable, that even as a guest, we felt she was the best photographer we've encountered. (and we have been to a lot of weddings haha) Fast forward a year and it was now our time to look at vendors—we had a list of photographers in hand but knew we had to choose Brown Stones. Keely was great with communication, direction, and asking all the necessary questions and helping plan, so this worried bride's mind was at ease. Thank you so much Keely!!! Hopefully we will be able to use BSP for even more major life events in the future :)
  • illustration stars

Are you interested?

Send a message
    Emily Married on 09/11/2021
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Best Photographer Out There!!!

I cannot say enough good things about Keely! Not only did she an amazing job with our wedding photos, she is an all around great person to be around. She is so fun and sweet but also knows how to help guide the flow of the day so you stay on schedule. She has done our family photos and wedding photos for my wedding and my brother's wedding. She is basically part of our family now!
    Anna F. Married on 09/04/2021
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Keely is just wonderful!!!

Keely is SO wonderful!!! Why? Because she is kind, punctual, brilliant, and such a professional. She KNOWS what she is doing and she deserves all the credit she has earned for her hard work! On the day of the wedding she was there to help and she literally helped organize and manage the show like a wedding planner and I needed so much help! She took on so many roles and was always so caring and helpful to all of us! She focused on what we needed and wanted. The photos she sent were set on this stunning site! I can’t stop looking at them! The detail and colors are unbelievably intricate and you can tell she cares deeply about what she does! Thank you to the moon and back, Keely!! We appreciate you so much!!
  • Maddie
    Maddie J. Married on 07/31/2021
      5.0 out of 5 rating

We loved Keely! Highly recommend!

I cannot say enough good things about Keely and Brownstones Photography! She has been my go-to photographer for years. She did both me and my husband's high school senior pictures and we both had such great experiences that when it came time to hire a wedding photographer, we knew Keely was our girl.

From the moment we booked her for our wedding, Keely made sure to make us feel like we were a priority. She helped us schedule an engagement session quickly (so that we could send out save the dates), and when it rained in the middle of our original session, she let us take more photos a month later to have as keepsakes / to print out for wedding items.

Keely is so easy to work with and truly helped our wedding day flow smoothly. A few weeks before the wedding, she sent us a questionnaire to fill out to ensure that we got EVERY photo that we wanted (with each grandparent, extended family, group of friends, etc.), which I wouldn't have deemed as important, until wedding day came and who you want in which photo is the last thing on your mind :) With Keely, everything was well planned out and we were sure to get every photo we wanted. She also gave us a timeline of when the different sets of photos would need to be taken, and how long they would take. VERY helpful!

On wedding day, Keely showed up promptly and immediately began taking photos of the girls getting ready, detail shots, shots of breakfast, you name it. She was able to get all of the girls shots in and then head to the boys suite to take their photos too. When we got to the church, she made sure the boys had their boutonnieres on correctly and were ready to go, while also getting every shot we could ever hope for. (After having been to other weddings where people are just waiting for everyone to waddle over, this is IMPORTANT and a huge time saver!)

We got amazing outdoor and indoor photos after the ceremony, even though the day was pretty rainy. Keely also captured fun photos of all of our guests on the dance floor, which was a treat to send to everyone afterwards. We are constantly getting compliments on all of the photos!

All in all, our experience with Keely couldn't have been better, and we are so grateful that we chose her to photograph our wedding. We would HIGHLY recommend her!!
    Rylee G. Married on 06/04/2021
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Local or away, check Keely out!

Keely made my wedding vision come to life in our engagement photos and wedding photos that we received! My fiancé and I had never taken professional photos before and Keely made the process easy and comfortable for us. She captured some really special engagement photos that we still look back on. Most of all, she captured beautiful wedding photos for us on our special day. She was able to accommodate our large families and get some beautiful pictures that are now hanging up in our families homes! She has a good eye on where to take pictures and get the most out of the experience. She even pulled us away to get some awesome sunset pictures (highly recommend doing this during an evening wedding). The quality of pictures and amount we received were worth every penny! If your local or even away, check her out!
  • Corey
    Corey Z. Married on 09/12/2020
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Excellent photographer and experience!

Keely was absolutely wonderful to work with and does an excellent job. She makes you feel comfortable while not being shy about making sure she gets the best quality pictures. Several of my wedding guests commented how great she was and they wished they had a photographer like her for their event. Keely is both an awesome person and awesome at what she does, can’t recommend her enough and my husband and I will definitely use her in the future for our photography needs!
    Ashley H. Married on 06/06/2020

Amazing, simple, fun

Keely is the best photographer I have ever worked with! So easy to talk to and she always knows how to get the perfect shot.

Brown Stones Photography's reply:

Thank you Ashley!! Coming from a Wedding Planner that means so much!!!

Thank you for letting me capture your day!

xoxo
    David C. Married on 04/14/2019

Amazing Photographer

Keely is fantastic and you won't go wrong by hiring her to do your wedding photos! She's flexible and worked amazingly well with us to capture all the special moments from our wedding. She's creative in her shot selection and works well with all the many personalities involved in wedding (e.g. your in-laws, crazy aunts, and squirmy kids). Also, she's LGBTQ+ friendly for those who value that in a photographer! We would recommend her to anyone!
    Tara Married on 10/05/2013
    4.6 out of 5 rating
      4.0 out of 5 rating
      4.0 out of 5 rating
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    The photographer was so great for our wedding. She drove about 2 hours to our venue and got some amazing shots. She is so creative and thinks quickly on her toes.
  • Erin
      1.0 out of 5 rating
      2.0 out of 5 rating
      2.0 out of 5 rating

Frustration and Regret

Hiring Keely was my biggest wedding regret. She breached contract, was extremely difficult to work with, & the photos I received were nowhere near the work I had paid her for. I hired Keely in Jan of 2020 for our July 2020 wedding, paying in-full up front. Once she had received my payment, communication dropped off. She was flighty with our engagement shoot, ignored my attempts to get on her calendar, and finally I ended up just asking for credit for a future shoot.

When postponing the wedding due to Covid, I let Keely know that we were officially on the venue’s calendar for July 10, 2021, but that we planned to double check with friends and family. I asked that she let us know if the other dates in July started to fill up (as that would impede our ability to change the date further if we needed to.) She confirmed & I did not hear from her again for 9mo.

When I reached out to her in Feb, she told me that she had booked another couple for July 10, citing that I had not signed a new contract, so she had not held the date. She had not sent a new contract, nor told me I would need one. Her only attempt to reconcile was to offer credit for future shoots, and she avoided a phone call to discuss. I politely requested a 75% refund so we could hire someone else, to which I received a defensive reply explaining why this was anyone’s fault but her own. Finally, she agreed to hire an associate to shoot and she would handle editing. I was not allowed input into who she hired, nor would she tell me who it was.

Moving forward, Keely was disinterested and annoyed by having to work with me, despite me being friendly & polite with every interaction. My questions would receive half replies or be ignored. She was constantly forgetting to send things she said she’d send. Despite 3mo of planning, I didn’t receive confirmation on the location of the pre-ceremony photos until the night before the wedding.

On our wedding day, it was revealed that Keely did not hire a second shooter, even though I had been contracted for one, had planned for one, and Keely had confirmed she would send one last year. When questioned, Keely made excuses, saying the contract “meant” something wildly different than what it actually said. I dropped it because I didn’t want her retaliating on my photos. I was told I’d receive sneak peeks at 2wks, and when I hadn’t seen a single photo at 4wks, I reached out and she passive-aggressively told me I needed to wait in line. She finally delivered my photos at 9wks only because I had to ask AGAIN about the status. Seeing the photos, it was clear Keely had either rushed editing or the associate was nowhere near the same skill/quality I had paid for. The exposure, color, and posing were terrible. The flash that was used was so harsh that nearly all the photos taken in the venue looked like they were taken on a disposable camera, despite the room being FILLED with natural light. When I expressed concern, she mysteriously "found" a new folder of photos that were taken without flash.

Even though Keely refuses to admit the photos weren’t of quality, she has still not posted them anywhere, obviously not wanting to associate herself with them. I wanted to avoid leaving this review, however, when I reached out to her to let her know how much stress she had caused me over the last 20 months - instead of apologizing, she instead blocked me various places on social media. She brought a sad frustrated feeling to every one of my wedding photos.

Brown Stones Photography's reply:

This is also a great Lesson for both Photographers and Couples. I'm going to trust my gut a lot more next time, if it doesn't feel like you are going to vibe with a couple from the beginning, communication is difficult, you can't seem to get on the same page. WALK AWAY Do not try to negotiate and make a deal with a couple, in this case bride, (I never met or spoke to the groom). It will not work and you are doing both yourself and the couple a disservice. I have been a photographer for almost 15 years, in business for myself for over a decade. I HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD REVIEW Please review my other reviews and I will have a lot more soon. I'm going to take this a learning lesson as well as point out the facts along the way. I hope that any couple reading this now, takes to heart what I'm about to say even if you don't work with me, take it to any vendor you work with on your big day. I have A LOT of experience and I have been in many different situations, and have navigated a really AMAZING career. I love what I do. Let's preface all of this with 2020 was hard on everyone When 2020 Weddings started the process of canceling The wedding industry was in shambles,obviously there were so many things going on, but we just didn't know what to do and there were a lot of learning curves, hopefully we will never have to use again. I definitely handled things differently in the beginning than towards the end of 2020 I had 19 rescheduled weddings, I had some that had to go on the same day, I found Good associates to shoot the weddings so I could shoot another on the same day. I only had to do this for 3 weddings, Erin's being one of them. I want to make perfectly clear, Erin did not get "short changed" Because she had an associate, she was serviced the same way I would have done it if I were there in person. I worked double weddings most weekends to avoid having an associate, but some just had to be done that way. I will never do it in the future, it was more stressful to have to manage all the people for me than it's worth. Lesson Learned. However, when it came to communication with Erin, it was difficult we were not a good match from the start. Erin inquired about 8 hours of coverage and that is my $2500 package. It didn't not include an engagement session and it did not include a 2nd shooter. However, I do have a pay in full discount for 10% off, so I applied that and then too another $250 off because Erin stated that's all she could afford and I was trying to accommodate her budget, another thing I shouldn't have done. She Paid her $2000 I agreed to a 2nd shooter, and an engagement session, again, I was being way too nice. I like doing engagement sessions because it helps me to get to know my couples before the wedding. This would have been extremely helpful in this case. However, we were set to shoot on a Friday, and Erin canceled on May 17th 2020, I told her she could use it whenever, she never mentioned it again. Keep in mind, she didn't pay for it, I just threw it in there. On May 23rd, Erin reaches back out to say that they are trying to figure out if they will cancel, or move their wedding, she talks about how it's incredibly anxiety provoking it is for her and they are having a hard time make choices, I say no problem just keep me in the loop and that I am working on calendar stuff and will give her any available date. On June 21st - I reach out and ask if she has a new plan, she doesn't reply On June 29th- I reach out again, Not trying to bug you but working on calendar. Did you decide to move, or stay or a new date? She replies, said they did postpone and that they are looking at June and July dates for next year. She was clear that nothing was set yet, she was checking with friends and family and then she would get back to me. I sent new contracts to all my "moved 2020" Couples, so the old contract was canceled and when a new date was set, a new contract with transfer of deposit sent. There has to be a paper trail and this was very important for all my clients. I had some clients decide to get married in private on their actual date, Shot those for no cost and again on their rescheduled date. Some couples kept the credit for maternity and newborn and were thrilled I allowed that. On March 22nd 2021 she reaches out and says we decided on July 10th, we should start planning, I say I'm so sorry, that date isn't available for me. She Went 9 months without telling me she moved her wedding, I didn't send a new contract because I hadn't heard from her. She didn't give the common courtesy of letting me know. So I tell her I can find her an associate and I can edit it, she claims to love that idea. Let me preface this as well, no matter when, put 2020 aside, what ever you have paid at the time of cancelation per the contract is forfeited. So I didn't have a contractual obligation to provide any service, find someone else or even entertain this at all. That wouldn't have been the right thing to do, that wouldn't have been a good business practice, even though frankly I was irritated she didn't even let me know she rebooked the Venue or her date. What I was trying to do was avoid a bad review, just get through it, put it behind me and learn to be more selective. So this sends me in a talespin to find an associate, I found one. wrote a contract with the associate, paid her. Gave her all the information Erin had given me. Wrote the EXACT contact with Erin on April 3rd, 2021. Only after she decided to take the associate photographer for the day of her wedding, she knew the entire time before Wedding and before she signed the new contract that she wasn't getting me, She was getting an associate, I gave her, her name and information. I also gave erin the option to use the credit however she wanted if she wanted to go find someone else to shoot her wedding. I would honor the credit with anything else I offered she said no, she wanted the associate. At this point and the previous 9 months Erin has never mentioned an engagement session again, that she didn't pay for, but claims I didn't provide. When I go to set up the associate shooter, Erin seems fine with this, she never mentions needing a 2nd shooter, which is different than an associate, at this point I am just trying to cover her wedding, which again, I don't have to do. I assume Erin understands that having 1 photographer for the day is priority, and Erin doesn't mention it. On the DAY OF THE WEDDING Erin asks my associate to call me and demand a 2nd shooter, said she paid for one, AGAIN, No she did not. I forwarded all the info to my associate well before the wedding, and she didn't see anything either. I go back to her contract, while on the road to my own wedding, I stop look it up, she doesn't have one, because she didn't pay for one. I provide these as line items in the contract. At this Point Erin is just looking for things to throw back at me to make me look bad, be unreasonable, demanding, rude. I check in with my associate several times through out the day, I asked her how things were going, she said very unorganized, lots of issues Erin forgot to address, Erin was blaming everyone else. I said do your best, get through it and we can move on. It was pouring down rain, Erin had planned to get married outside, it needed to be moved in, and this is a Brewery. Lot's of metal tanks, cramped, dark walls and windows on one side of the venue. None of this is what Erin wanted, so once she got the images back, she started picking them apart, her claim that it could have been taken with a disposable camera and my associate shouldn't have used flash are ridiculous. I saw every raw image, I edited all of them, she had to use flash it was completely dark in there. The few I was able to edit with natural light were not what I would consider quality images. She absolutely needed to use flash, it's not her fault Erin's background was a metal beer tank, Erin picked the venue. A photographer isn't responsible for what you put in front of them to photograph, they can only photograph what you provide for them to shoot. We can't change the weather, we can't change the time of day, we can't change your getting ready spaces, we can't change your insecurities. We are documenting what is in front of us with the skill set and technical skills we have acquired. Erin emailed me comparing her images to other images on my social media, they are completely different venues, different details, and not in the same category of weddings. They are just different. My associate shot the wedding the way I would have shot it, Erin just didn't like the end result, and that's not our fault. This is also a good lesson, Photographers see things differently, we see that you like the natural light windows on the day you went had lunch on a bright sunny afternoon, but what if that's not what it looks like on your wedding day? Do you have a back up plan, did you ask your photographer. Does your photographer have off camera lighting? Do they know how to use it? I edited all the images, then at Erin's request went back and re edited some images, she still wasn't happy. Once she received her full gallery and there was nothing else to email me about she wrote a LONG, RUDE, CUSSING, DEGRADING, NASTY email to me. I read down about a quarter of it, when she turned really nasty and cussing and I stopped reading and didn't reply. I knew going round and round with her wouldn't help anything, for me or for her. I would have replied with a simple I'm sorry you feel that way, I did all I could, but I didn't think that engaging at all with her was a good idea. I then blocked her on social media and chalked it up to learning experience that I needed to be more selective with my clients. She and I weren't a good fit from the start, she didn't respect me, she didn't show respect to my associate, the other vendors at her wedding, a couple have reached out to me. I DO NOT take being a wedding photographer lightly, I understand how big of an honor it is to capture this for you and your loved ones. I get butterflies before every one even after HUNDREDS of weddings, I believe I'm at least at the 300 mark for How many weddings I have shot and have gone on to be maternity, newborn and family photographer for my couples, some of my couples I took their senior pictures. I have over a decade of an established business under my belt, I have never had a bad review. I go above and beyond every time and it shows in my other clients. I went above and beyond for Erin to avoid a bad review. Unfortunately, my business relies on word of mouth as a primary source of referrals for new couples, this website is part of that, avoiding a bad review is essential to keeping your business thriving. I have been in the customer service industry for a long time in different roles, I believe I did the best I could with this situation, without sacrificing quality or the integrity of my business. It's ok that she's like that, I just should have read the room, and turned her down as a client. 2020 has taught me a lot about where I want my business to go, so I am thankful for this lesson as well. I'm not a confrontational person, I don't like it, but when I have been directly attacked and something I created and is so personal to me is attacked I have to respond. I wouldn't have ever said a cross word about Erin, I would not gone after her in any way. She came after me on numerous occasions and I took the high road, not responding nastiness with nastiness. I was patient, I was accommodating, I was gracious. I tried to put myself in her shoes. I can't imagine what it was like for my 2020 couples. However, I had 19 rescheduled weddings, only 1 acted like this. Every other wedding, went off without issues, and I really bonded with my couples. I was praised for my flexibility , not taking extra money to shoot their "elopement" before, what ever I could do to make it better for my couples. I was really upset when I got this review, and that right there shows how much I truly value my couples even after how poorly I was treated. If you are reading this as a potential couple for me to photograph, please consider that this is 1 in almost 300, not every wedding has been perfect, but please give me the benefit of the doubt and reach out anyway, I promise to speak up if I feel we aren't a good fit!