82 Sherry Ave., Bristol, RI 02809 Map · Phone number

Ashley · Married on 04/26/2009

4.2
      3.5
      3.0

I was disappointed that he could not find my ceremony selections and did not inform me beforehand. We also needed to prompt him to do things like the bouquet toss and garter removal. BUT and a big BUT is that he was very professional and maintained good contact before the wedding. Overall he was a good vendor.

Sent on 05/12/2009

Alisha · Married on 08/21/2010

3.4
      2.5

He was a very nice guy and he was definitely professional, but....He couldn't find the music that I wanted for my dance with my Dad, among others, so two days before the wedding, my fiance was downloading songs and putting together a playlist for our DJ. Isn't that what we pay him to do? I was very confused by this. We had a lot of songs that we wanted him to play and gave him the list weeks in advance. He didn't familiarize himself with any of the music. We had to send over the best man more than once during the reception to tell him to stick to our list. We also had to remind him to do the father/daughter, mother/son, and cake cutting. We forgot to prompt him to do the centerpiece giveaway so it didn't happen. If you are someone that doesn't care what music gets played at your wedding, then he's not a bad choice, but if you have a lot of requests, you should look elsewhere.

Sent on 09/06/2010

Tri State DJS's reply:

Let me first say that this was a beautiful reception and a wonderful event. We always ask for a DO NOT PLAY LIST and for your top 10 requests, not your top 200 requests. You can only play about 16 songs per hour so this allows the DJ time to do his job; to get people to dance.
    It's interesting that you say "isn't that what you are paying me for" since all the music was programed by the groom. In 25 years of professional DJing this is the only wedding where I have encountered this. In speaking with the couple before the wedding about the song list and the need for flexibility they seemed unresponsive to this. However, since they are in charge I did fallow their requests even though some songs were so rare i have never heard of them; in 25 years that's very rare. On more than one occasion guests came up to me to request songs that were not on the list and I was tolled by the groom not to play anything that was not on the list. This restricted my ability to "go with the flow" and I simply sat there and played what they tolled me to play. This is very unusual and not what I would recommend for any event no matter how formal. People seemed to enjoy themselves and it was a beautiful reception but I would not attempt to DJ another event where the couple picked every song. The DJ is the one who gets the crown motivated and plays the right song at the right time to keep things flowing. When you take that control away from the DJ it is forced and can drag at times. For best results I would recommend letting the DJ have a list to go by but allowing him the freedom to play other songs that get people to dance. That is what you are paying the DJ for; to play dance music. If you want to just play music from your iPod then I could supply the equipment for this at a much cheeper rate. This was a beautiful wedding and I was pleased to be a part of it. I would recommend to couples that they fallow the wedding planning guide that we supply to them and not try to take over the song selection, they have enough to do without trying to DJ their own wedding, that's what you are paying me for.

Chris Murphy

1.0
      3.0

Tri State DJs was responsive, on time and put in a lot of effort. However, there were mistakes in actual execution on the day of our wedding. My husband and I were disappointed.

Sent on 10/08/2012

Tri State DJS FAQ

• What music genres do you specialize in?
    Country
    Oldies
    Pop
    R&B/Soul
    Rock
  • What services do you offer?

• 82 Sherry Ave. Bristol, 02809 See on map