119 B North Bridge Street, Bedford, VA 24523 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 14

About The Gilded Thimble

Specializing in Bridal gown alterations, The Gilded Thimble makes dreams come true with their renowned custom fit.

To make an inquiry or to make an appointment, please visit our website at www.thegildedthimble.com/contact/ and fill out the appointment request form. We do not use Wedding Wire's messaging. In order for your inquiry to not get lost, please communicate with us directly. Thank you and happy planning! :)

veil 5260
From sleeveless to full lace sleeves
From sleeveless to full lace sleeves
Extreme upsizing
Extreme upsizing
Sample gown repair.  The clamps they use in bridal shops are destructive
Sample gown repair. The clamps they use in bridal shops are destructive
Delicate stacked lace straps, made form scratch
Delicate stacked lace straps, made form scratch
One dress, two different sweetheart options.  Pinched or cut out. Go to our website to view many...
One dress, two different sweetheart options. Pinched or cut out. Go to our website to view many...
Vintage redesign with custom, hand sewn lace design
Vintage redesign with custom, hand sewn lace design
Your mom's dress not your cup o' tea?  Maybe you won't even consider it for a redesign for your...
Your mom's dress not your cup o' tea? Maybe you won't even consider it for a redesign for your...
img5467ed1for slideshow

The Gilded Thimble 4
The Gilded Thimble 5

Lauren S · Getting married on 02/10/2021

So happy!!

Carissa was great and was perfectly organized about everything regarding the alterations! Her work is beautiful and everything about my dress ended up looking perfect!

Sent on 11/12/2019
  • Megan

Megan Lawhorn · Married on 10/12/2019

Top-Notch service!

If you want it done right, go see Carissa! She is brilliant! She saw my dress as it was and what it could be even when I could not! She gave me multiple options for way to get the final product with price differences. She took my dress from a size 14 to a 6 and it looked like that was how it was originally sewn. She is a master of her trade!

Sent on 10/29/2019
  • Sarah

Sarah Ridgeway · Married on 10/05/2019

Once-in-a-lifetime experience!

Carissa's name was passed along to me by a good friend who recently had her mother's wedding dress redone for her own wedding. I was toying with the idea of doing the same with my mother's wedding dress, that was made by my grandmother who is no longer with us. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the experience with Carissa exceeded my wildest dreams. I'm not a very "fashionable" person but she worked with me on what design/cut I liked and helped me pick out lace. She even handmade my veil! Out of ALL of the "things" you have to do before you get married, THIS was my favorite part and the most worth the time and money. Yes, I drove from Culpeper to Bedford, 2.5 hours each way! Trying on dresses and finding "the dress" is special, but it doesn't compare to creating your dress with a seamstress who's craft, skill and wonderful personality will never cease to amaze you. Thank you, Carissa, for offering this incredible experience!

Sent on 10/21/2019

The Gilded Thimble FAQ

• How do you price dress alterations?
    By Piece
  • Who do you provide services for?
    Bride
  • Which of the following services do you provide?
    Alterations
    Appointments Only
    Cleaning
    Full Customization
    Preservation
  • Which of the following items do you offer?
    Bridal Belts
    Garters
    Hair Accessories
    Undergarments
    Veils
  • What is your return policy?
    Exchanges
    Full Refund

• Sorella Farms
    Sorella Farms Barn & Farm Weddings

Carissa at The Gilded Thimble is a master craftsman. She has worked her magic for many of our Sorella Farms brides as well as three of our family members. We would trust her with any dress, any alteration, anytime! She also provides a wonderful service, coming to your venue for last minute emergency alterations, steaming, and more, not only for the bride, but for bridal party as well!

• Glencliff Manor
    Glencliff Manor Mansion Weddings

We wouldn't send our brides any where else. The Gilded Thimble are dress magicians !

• 119 B North Bridge Street Bedford, 24523 See on map