109 East Birch Avenue, Flagstaff, AZ 86001 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 13
  • Meet the Team

About Tangled Lilac Photography

About my Style
I am a sentimental romantic, so I aim to get those moments that are sweet, endearing and heartfelt. Whether it’s a wedding, engagement, family or pet session, it all comes down to capturing the essence and relationships of our clients.

About Melissa
After graduating from the University of Georgia in 1994 with a BS in Biology, I was pretty lost. I originally thought I wanted to go to Veterinary School, but after an intern with an animal clinic in rural Georgia, I quickly found out my heart just isn’t tough enough. So, looking to redefine myself, I packed up my bags and moved to Arizona with a friend. For the next few years, I made my living in the medical field, but found my love for photography. I took classes at our local college, went to every workshop I could afford, and buried my nose in every instructional and art book I could find. I also offered to take photos for all of my friends and family for the experience. It was this love that inspired me to start my photography business in 2007 and I have never looked back. Some people are regretful of their past careers, feeling like they’ve lost time, but not me. I am so blessed that I was fortunate enough to have been a wildlife biologist, which taught me an appreciation for the landscape and the tiny details of the miracle of all life. I’m also lucky to have spent time as a financial analyst for medical practices, which fine-tuned my business skills. Without either of those past careers, I wouldn’t be where I am now. Today I relish in the joy that my photography business brings me everyday. The love that I see through my lens fills me with so much hope and joy; I am truly a lucky woman.

Follow Tangled Lilac Photography on

Other couples have also viewed

• Birdsong Wedding Photography

Videos 3 Videos

25 Reviews for Tangled Lilac Photography

• Stephanie

Stephanie · Married on 04/21/2018

Absolutely loved Melissa! My fiance and I had our engagement photos taken by Tangled Lilac and we love the pictures. The pictures are gorgeous and I'm so happy we decided to go with Tangled Lilac. Melissa is awesome and really made us feel at ease. We had our pictures taken during the fall in Flagstaff because I was dead set on getting the golden Aspens in our pictures and Melissa worked with me to find the perfect place. Thank you!

Sent on 12/06/2016

Tangled Lilac Photography's reply:

Stephanie, Thank you so much for the sweet review! I had so much fun with you both and loved that we were able to go to such a beautiful part of the mountain for your engagement session. Thank you!!

Melissa at Tangled Lilac was a dream to work with!! She made time to schedule phone calls with me and answer questions I had about a wedding day timeline. I booked the minimum time and she had suggestions on the schedule to ensure that everything I wanted documented was captured. Our families commented on how kind and helpful she was the day of. And most importantly, the final photos are truly breathtaking! She caught moments in our ceremony that we will look back on for a lifetime. I highly, highly recommend Tangled Lilac. True professionals that feel like friends! Thanks so much, Melissa!

Sent on 09/29/2014

Caitlin · Married on 12/05/2013

We could not be happier with the way our photos turns out! This was such a special day and looking at the photos brings back all of those emotions'! Just what we were hoping for! We love how they captured our happiness as well as all of the details of our wedding! Thank you again Kristen and Melissa!

Sent on 12/05/2013

Team of Tangled Lilac Photography

Melissa Dunstan

Melissa Dunstan

Founder and Principal Photographer

For the past twenty years I've been documenting weddings and I've loved every minute. Each wedding is unique and each has a beautiful story. That story is what's important and I'd be honored to capture it for you.

+ More Details
- Less Details

• Agave of Sedona Banquet Halls

Agave of Sedona endorses Tangled Lilac Photography.

• In-The-Mix Entertainment by DJ Adi Wedding DJs

Melissa is awesome to work with, and her images are even more awesome. I love following her work on facebook and admire her skills very much.

• Sierra Blanco Photography Wedding Photographers

Melissa Dunstan is an outstanding photographer with a fun personality and talent to match! I have worked with her on many weddings and she brings a fresh, creative eye and energy to every event she shoots. She always puts her heart and soul into everything she does and not only does that show in the final product but her clients just adore her for it! Melissa is a top professional and anyone who hires her to document their wedding day will not be dissapointed!!

• 109 East Birch Avenue Flagstaff, AZ, 86001 See on map
    Offices in Sedona & Flagstaff, Arizona but can travel worldwide! by appointment only
    Location of (Tangled Lilac Photography)