739 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 Map · Phone number
  • Real Weddings 3
  • Deals 1

About Steven Singer Jewelers

There are people you just gotta hate. Steven Singer is one of those people. Take a look at what he's accomplished:

Before the opening of Steven Singer Jewelers…

While still in high school, Steven became a wholesaler in the jewelry industry on Philadelphia Jewelers Row. I don't know about you, but my high school job was more about pushing burgers than dealing in diamonds.

To make it worse, he completed courses in diamond residency, color stones, gem identification and cultured pearls at the Gemological Institute of America (GIA).

Steven Singer Jewelers Opens for Business.

It all really kicked into gear on October 7, 1980. That's the day when, at 22, Steven Singer opened the doors to the first Steven Singer Jewelers in the heart of Philadelphia's Jewelers Row. Jewelers Row is the country's oldest (and second largest) jewelry district. Steven earned the distinction of being the youngest first-generation jeweler on Jeweler's Row. And with a store measuring 8ft long by 8ft deep, he also had the honors of having the smallest store on the street.

Being small didn't stop him. He had big ideas and an amusing way to sell exceptional diamonds. The store quickly gained a reputation as the place to go for "the most fun you'll ever have…buying a diamond."

Fast forward to 1986. Steven decides it's time to start the Philadelphia Jewelers Row Association to create a code of ethics for jewelers and to market the district to customers throughout the region. It took off quickly. In that same year, Philadelphia Mayor, Wilson Goode declares September 14-20 as Jewelers Row Week, unveiling new Jewelers Row street signs. Evidently he took on City Hall…and won. Steven's still active on the Philadelphia Jeweler's Row Association (PJRA) and is currently on the Board of Directors.

Steven Singer Grows

It’s hard being tremendously successful in an 8x8 space. Throughout the years, Steven Singer Jewelers expanded its space. And each time, outgrew it. By 1996, his reputation was winning over customers and the jewelry industry. The store’s success was evident as it was producing some of the highest sales per square foot in the nation. He was asked to join an elite group of jewelers who comprise the world’s largest industry consulting group. He was the only area jeweler invited to join, giving him privileged information to better serve his customers.

In September of 1999, Steven Singer purchased his current store. A three story, block-long building on the other corner of 8th and Walnut totaling 6500 square feet of space. The space also afforded him the ability to create a full service shop within the store to provide customers with more. The shop includes a master jeweler, diamond setter, wax maker, designer and polisher that enables customers to customize their purchases - and watch them being made through the glass wall.

Steven Singer Takes on Radio

You can't listen to drive time radio in Philadelphia without hearing some reason to hate Steven Singer Jewelers. He's all over the airwaves. Steven started advertising during Howard Stern's 18 years on terrestrial radio. Steven Singer Jewelers became well-known to Stern listeners. He followed them to satellite radio…pretty much taking on the world. Or at least anyone with Sirius Radio.

Obviously a glutton for media coverage, Steven is a regular on the WIP 610 AM Morning Show with Angelo Cataldi. Steven is also one the sponsors of WIP's annual Wing Bowl event, nationally recognized as one of the largest eating competitions in America. All that wing sauce makes a mess and each year Steven Singer Jewelers is the home of the World's Largest Bubble Bath where Angelo and his crew broadcast from the bubble-filled jewelry store.

Other radio stations tell it like it is. WMMR's Preston and Steve portray Steven Singer as the devil who mines for diamonds on his way up from the pits of hell and eats babies for breakfast. Opie and Anthony of WYSP and Booker on Q102 are learning to hate Steven Singer, too. From the radio to billboards to word-of-mouth Steven Singer Jewelers has become a landmark in Philadelphia. And the go-to-guy to hate.

And what's all this Hate gotten him?

Awards! Yep, can you believe it? He's been the recipient of two Philadelphia Advertising Club's ADDY awards for excellence in advertising. It's the equivalent of the Oscar and the Emmy! He won silver and a bronze. What a media whore!

In 2005-2006 Steven Singer was awarded the Small Business Excellence award and named the Small Business Person of the Year by the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce. He was the first jeweler to ever receive the honor. The award is bestowed upon a founder, CEO or President of a company that provides positive social impact on the region through strong community involvement. Now that's something to really get fired up about. Great jewelry and a great guy. Cut me a break!

Follow Steven Singer Jewelers on

1 User photo

Steven Singer Jewelers 1
  • Morgan

Morgan · Married on 12/02/2017

I went to Steven Singer the day after my engagement to learn more about my protection plan and insurance for my ring. My finace had already purchased insurance, but there were separate options available for maintenance of the ring (cleanings, inspections, etc). The woman who sold my finace the ring was busy with another couple, but she took a moment to come over and personally introduce herself and congratulate us. She made sure that what he had picked was exactly what I wanted (which it totally is), and gave me her card for when I come in. Her assistant met with us and went over all the plans, and explained everything available to me. She even taught us how to look at the ring and the laser ID number (so cool)! The entire staff at SS was so attentive and friendly from the moment we walked in, offering us beverages and treating us like we were the most important couple. They made me feel very comfortable and welcome, and I look forward to visiting them often for my ring cleanings. And above all, they helped my finace to find me the most perfect ring I could have asked for.

Sent on 06/15/2015

Steven Singer Jewelers's reply:

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience in our store. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Remember to stop in right before your wedding to get your engagement ring cleaned. Hope to see you again soon.

Kimberly · Married on 09/16/2017

Purchased wedding bands from SS. So far, very happy with the rings. Pricing was reasonable too. Really like that they polish rings for free anytime! Also, free ring adjustment within the first year. And warm cookies and bottled water when you enter :)

Sent on 11/04/2017

Steven Singer Jewelers's reply:

Hi Kimberly! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review, we really appreciate it. I’m so happy you had a great experience! If there is anything else we can do, please let me know :)

Marissa · Married on 11/11/2016

My husband bought my engagement ring at Steven Singer, and I am so in love with it. In exchange for purchasing insurance on the ring, he got a gift card to put toward a future purchase, so it was a no brainer to get our wedding bands there. Our jewelers Mandy and Steph have been great. They helped us find rings that suited our style and budget, and the shipping process felt very safe and secure (we saved some tax dollars shipping the rings to New Jersey.) Also, I very faithfully get my ring cleaned and dipped in rhodium yearly, a free service. During the transit strike this fall, they were kind enough to clean the ring while I waited (usually they have you come back in 90 minutes) so I could get back to work during my lunch hour. Great customer service! Oh, and the free beer and cookies didn't hurt either :)

Sent on 12/07/2016

Steven Singer Jewelers's reply:

Marissa, we're sorry for the late thank you but still wanted to say thank you for taking the time to review our store and sharing your experience that you had with our jewelers Steph and Mandy. Stop in anytime to get your jewelry checked and cleaned. Hope to see you again soon.

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

Steven Singer Jewelers FAQ

• What kind of jewelry do you offer? Custom Accessories, Custom Engagement Rings, Custom Wedding Bands, Loose Diamonds
  • What is your average turnaround time for an engagement ring? 1-2 weeks

Real Weddings

1 Wedding Deal & Discount

• Steven Singer Jewelers 1
    Refer a Friend!
    All of our customers are eligable! Simply refer a friend, make sure your friend gives you the credit, and we'll send you a $25 Steven Starr Restaurants Gift Certificate. Valid at any of the premier restaurateur in Philly, NYC, and Atlantic City. Spread the word! And then have delicious bite, on us!

• 739 Walnut Street Philadelphia, 19106 See on map