Rhythm Society Orchestra

11845 WHISPERING OAK LN, Utica, MI 48315 Map · Phone number

About Rhythm Society Orchestra

The RHYTHM SOCIETY ORCHESTRA is a top shelf 16-piece dance big band specializing in true vintage swing music.

Many bands claim they play music by Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra, Cab Calloway, Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie, Les Brown, Tony Bennett, etc., but the Rhythm Society Orchestra performs it the way it was recorded by those very bands. No re-arranged, modern-sounding stuff here - it is music performed the way it sounded when it was the pop music in the USA. Though based in the Detroit area, we cover the entire Midwest region, performing receptions for people of discerning tastes. Crooner Paul King describes his style as "a mixture of Mel Torme, Joe Williams, and Frank Sinatra - with a dash of Cab Calloway thrown in". The band and Paul have been featured on a number of local television and radio programs. Experience counts: We have the experience to make your event enormously successful and wonderfully memorable by all. Your guests will be dancing up a storm.

We are a complete entertainment package. Besides music sets with the big band, we offer a solo pianist or jazz combo for the cocktail hour or during dinner, pre-recorded music of your choice for that same time and/or between big band sets, a sound engineer that is attentive and always available, a wireless mic, your announcements made, advice on the evening's flow, and even the area's best swing dance instructors that can provide an ice-breaking introductory 20 minute dance lesson to your guests.

Reception halls and clients love us because we are a first class operation. Provide us a space and we take care of the rest. Need more modern music spun between sets or afterwards? You provide the songs as we'll amplify them through our very high quality system. The band can appear in black tuxedos, white dinner jackets, black suits with straight vintage ties or even authentic period military casuals complete with authentic patches, etc., though black tuxedos seem to be preferred by clients for receptions.

Stop by a performance and see! We have many public and private engagements year 'round. The band is the preferred and recommended big band of the area's elite and fashionable reception venues: Meadowbrook Mansion, The Detroit Athletic Club, Detroit Masonic Temple, Detroit Yacht Club, etc. Let us show you why! Watch and listen to us in action!

Follow Rhythm Society Orchestra on

Raising money for art programs at the "Swingtime" event at the Fisher Building.  That's us way in...
Raising money for art programs at the "Swingtime" event at the Fisher Building. That's us way in...
Full shot of the band
Another jammed dance floor at an open swing dance!
Another jammed dance floor at an open swing dance!

7 Reviews for Rhythm Society Orchestra

We had the pleasure of working with Gary from the Rhythm Society Orchestra in preparation for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. My parents went to see them perform and absolutely loved their performance and couldn’t wait to book them for their big event immediately. Unfortunate circumstances with my dad’s health caused us to have to postpone the party and cancel our booking with the Rhythm Society Orchestra. We understood the ramifications of not fulfilling our obligations under the contract and were so appreciative of Gary’s offer to refund us our deposit and cancel the contract. Gary’s professionalism throughout the whole process – from original booking to patiently helping us plan how we want the event to flow to the unfortunate cancellation - was unbelievable. We couldn’t be more impressed with Gary and how he manages business and are so sorry that we will not be able to enjoy the wonderful sounds of the Rhythm Society Orchestra. Their music is fantastic and they offer some very cool options for a swing/ballroom dance type of event for all ages. You can have swing dancers perform , a jazz trio at dinner or cocktails, a DJ during breaks, everything you need to host a very classy event that your guests will be raving about for a long time.

Absolutely fabulous! RSO was wonderful and I absolutely loved them! They brought such class and elegance to our reception! Totally recommend!

Sarah · Married on 06/02/2012

These guys were so wonderful to work with! So incredibly helpful in the planning of the wedding, and far beyond my expectations for the day of!
    I wanted to have sort of a 1950s thing going for my wedding, so I didn't want any modern pop music at all. When I said this I was warned that it would get stale and people wouldn't dance. So when I ignored the advice of having a DJ later in the night, I admit, I was a little afraid the swing music would make things awkward at the wedding.
    Having them play all night was not at all awkward! Everyone was dancing! Me, my husband, and our friends were swing dancing (the little we knew from the few lessons we all took) and grandma and grandpa tore it up with their moves from back in the day! Even people who didn't know how to dance, were up there with us all night just cause the music was that good! The dance floor was packed the whole night and everyone had a HUGE blast! When they finished at 10pm they got a standing ovation! I had danced with my husband to every song that night, to the extent that my feet were about to fall off- and I still didn't want to stop dancing to them!
    So many people asked questions like, "Where did you find them?" "How much do they cost?" etc. In particular, my maid of honor's boyfriend, and father asked most of the questions! My maid of honor (Who has always loved swing dancing with her boyfriend) is likely to get married next year. So we all want to pitch in a little so she can have them play as well. She doesn't know, of course- she only said it would be her, "dream to have RSO at her wedding." :)

Rhythm Society Orchestra FAQ

• What is the average price for a wedding reception during peak season?
  • What is the average price for a wedding reception during off-peak season?
  • Which of the following are included in the price? Learning New Songs, MC, Music During Breaks, Sample Performances, Sound/PA System, Travel Expenses
  • What is the price of your popular wedding package? $ 3,200.00
  • Which of the following are included in the package? Learning New Songs, MC, Music During Breaks, Sample Performances, Sound/PA System
  • Are you an agency or a band? Band
  • How many musicians are in your band(s)? 7+
  • What genres of music does (do) your band(s) play? Big Band, Jazz, Swing
  • What music services do you provide? Instrumentals, Ceremony Music, Cocktail Hour Music, Learning New Songs, MC, Reception Music, Music During Breaks, Sample Performances, Vocals, Willing to Travel
  • What items are available? Microphones, Sound/PA System

• 11845 WHISPERING OAK LN Utica, MI 48315 See on map
    586-992-8787 (Phone number)
    313-443-9968 (Other Phone Number)