13016 E Blossey Ave, Spokane, WA 99216 Map · Phone number

About Matt Shumate Photography

Husband. Dad. Photographer. Retired (for now) marathon runner. Music junkie.

I married my best friend 16 years ago & we have 3 girls who are my favorite things in life. Mostly because I’ve fooled them in to thinking I’m pretty awesome. It’s ok, the feeling’s mutual.

It sounds cheesy but I really love people & have been known to get a little sweaty-eyed (as my oldest daughter used to call it) at weddings.

I like to joke & laugh. I’m kind of sarcastic. I wish I was a stand up comic.

I have a BFA in graphic design, but I fell in love with photography while taking a class that was required for my degree. My design background has more to do with how my pictures look than anything I’ve learned about photography.

If I won the lottery, I’d still photograph weddings. It’s who I am. I enjoy the pressure & stress. I love that it’s a combination of many of my photographic loves: documentary, portrait, products, & even pets sometimes. Most of all, I love that I’m commissioned to create very personal art for people based on the relationships that are important to them.

I guarantee if we’re talking about weddings or photography, you’ll have to stop the conversation because I won’t. You can ask my friends.

I was miserable while getting pictures taken as a kid, so I understand why people are shocked when they realize getting pictures taken can be fun.

I’m a little nervous on wedding day—until I pick up my camera—& I love that. If I stop getting that feeling, I’ll find something else to do.

Follow Matt Shumate Photography on

brochurephotos0

11 Reviews for Matt Shumate Photography

• Ali

Ali Norena · Married on 09/14/2019

Booking matt = best decision!

Matt was hands down one of the best decisions my husband and I made for our wedding. Matt was so easy to work with and captured the most beautiful moments of our wedding day. Matt was never intrusive and  we didn't even notice him taking photos. Many guests commented on how professional and out of the way he was. Matt made us feel at ease throughout the day and we can not think of anyone we would rather have with us for such intimate and special moments.

By the end of the night Matt truly felt like a friend and guest at our wedding. When we received all of our wedding photos Matt had already gone through and selected the best photos for us. It was so nice to not have to go through that overwhelming process of trying to decide which picture is the best. It was amazing to see all that Matt was able to photograph and it was very impressive that one person was able to capture so much. I truly do not think you could find a nicer person or better photographer. We cannot recommend him enough or thank him enough for the moments and memories he was able to preserve for us on our wedding day.

Sent on 10/30/2019

Misty · Married on 12/18/2015

Matt is not only a very talented photorapher, he is very entertaining! He has a way with communication that makes you forget you are taking pictures so he gets beautiful natural photos. He also uses his baseball skills to get some very unqiue pictures! You'll have to ask as I don't want to ruin the surprise!

He was great at rounding up family members and getting the shy kids to interact with and smile at the camera.

Matt also went above and beyond the call of duty to actually drive my husband and i to the venue after some location shots and then helped me with a project I had for a brunch after the wedding. His package deals are very competitive and a great value.

To wrap up, Matt has a great understanding of composition and lighting. In a world of blown out photos, he captures rich and beautiful light and color. We highly recommend him!

Sent on 12/23/2015

Matt was incredible. From our first engagement session through our entire wedding day. We are thrilled to have hired a photographer with such talent and great dancing skills!

Sent on 10/18/2015