13016 E Blossey Ave, Spokane, WA 99216 Map · Phone number

About Matt Shumate Photography

Husband. Dad. Photographer. Retired (for now) marathon runner. Music junkie.

I married my best friend 16 years ago & we have 3 girls who are my favorite things in life. Mostly because I’ve fooled them in to thinking I’m pretty awesome. It’s ok, the feeling’s mutual.

It sounds cheesy but I really love people & have been known to get a little sweaty-eyed (as my oldest daughter used to call it) at weddings.

I like to joke & laugh. I’m kind of sarcastic. I wish I was a stand up comic.

I have a BFA in graphic design, but I fell in love with photography while taking a class that was required for my degree. My design background has more to do with how my pictures look than anything I’ve learned about photography.

If I won the lottery, I’d still photograph weddings. It’s who I am. I enjoy the pressure & stress. I love that it’s a combination of many of my photographic loves: documentary, portrait, products, & even pets sometimes. Most of all, I love that I’m commissioned to create very personal art for people based on the relationships that are important to them.

I guarantee if we’re talking about weddings or photography, you’ll have to stop the conversation because I won’t. You can ask my friends.

I was miserable while getting pictures taken as a kid, so I understand why people are shocked when they realize getting pictures taken can be fun.

I’m a little nervous on wedding day—until I pick up my camera—& I love that. If I stop getting that feeling, I’ll find something else to do.

Follow Matt Shumate Photography on

brochurephotos0
brochurephotos0

10 Reviews for Matt Shumate Photography

Misty · Married on 12/18/2015

Matt is not only a very talented photorapher, he is very entertaining! He has a way with communication that makes you forget you are taking pictures so he gets beautiful natural photos. He also uses his baseball skills to get some very unqiue pictures! You'll have to ask as I don't want to ruin the surprise!

He was great at rounding up family members and getting the shy kids to interact with and smile at the camera.

Matt also went above and beyond the call of duty to actually drive my husband and i to the venue after some location shots and then helped me with a project I had for a brunch after the wedding. His package deals are very competitive and a great value.

To wrap up, Matt has a great understanding of composition and lighting. In a world of blown out photos, he captures rich and beautiful light and color. We highly recommend him!

Sent on 12/23/2015

Matt was incredible. From our first engagement session through our entire wedding day. We are thrilled to have hired a photographer with such talent and great dancing skills!

Sent on 10/18/2015

Photography was a big one for us when planning our wedding, and both my now husband and I absolutely adored Matt from the moment we met him. I am not sure words do him justice, simply looking at his photos do. Matt is the most dedicated, fun, creative and skilled photographer!

In addition to being an amazing photog, Matt breezed us through family photos, took detail shots without even being asked and kept us at ease (read: me, the bride) the whole day. We just got our photos back and as we flipped through them realized that he is like a photography ninja -- there is a shot from the back of the ceremony, then there is one from the front -- he moved around the whole time, capturing our wedding from all views. His photos tell our wedding day story so beautifully (I'm tearing up just thinking about it).

There was no set time limit, which meant he came for getting ready and stayed through our party. While some photographers might tell you, "your friends have iPhones, they can take party pictures for you!" We had such a great time through the night and the professional party pics are some of the best! Knowing he was there to capture it from beginning to end put us at ease.

I would also say, that while our opinion is the most important, we have had so many compliments on our photos that it's unbelievable.

Sent on 05/04/2015