39 West 29th St. Suite 611, New York, NY 10001 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 12

About KC Makeup by Karuna Chani

MAKE UP IS MAGIC!!

Karuna Chani is an internationally recognized and accomplished make up artist, image and skin care consultant.

Karuna's introduction to the world of beauty and fashion started at an early age when she spent countless hours reading women's fashion and health magazines.  She became fascinated with the transformation one could achieve through make up and clothes.  This passion for the industry led her to Parsons School of Design where her dreams included following in the foot steps of Marc Jacobs and Badgley Mischka.  As a fashion student, she designed for the fashion runways and learned how make up and skin care are an integral part of creating a designer's vision.  At this moment, she decided to focus on her life long love for the beauty industry and never looked backed.

In 2002, she moved to Southeast Asia where she opened her first makeup studio.  Her international clientele included women from Singapore, India, Bali, Thailand and Hong Kong.  In addition to opening her first makeup studio she freelanced for luxury beauty lines such as Guerlain and Make Up Forever.  The fashion and beauty press stood up and took notice and soon Karuna's work was being featured in magazines such as Vogue India Ed., Cosmopolitan Indonesia Ed., Femina and Hello India Ed.

In 2005, Karuna returned to New York City to work as a makeup artist for Giorgio Armani cosmetics, NARS and Chanel.  In addition to working with these prestigious brands, Karuna collaborated with jewelry designer Amrita Singh and worked on various projects with renowned photographers; Ian Cuttler, James Weber and Charudutt Chitrak..

Most recently, Karuna was highlighted in Marie Claire - India Ed. "Big Beauty" feature for their December 2010 issue with famous photographer Anushka Menon.

In addition to her private clients and fashion industry work, Karuna has been involved with charitable events such as Sunflower Children Funds, Indo-American Arts Council, Inc. and Reach 2010 showcasing fashion designer Satya Paul's 2011 collection.

Karuna is available to travel on location and welcomes you to view a portfolio of her work.

Follow KC Makeup by Karuna Chani on

Photos 11 Photos
Videos 1 Video

65 Reviews for KC Makeup by Karuna Chani

Sreya Roy · Married on 03/10/2020

Bridal Look of my Dreams!

I originally hired Karuna to do my wedding makeup but due to COVID and postponement of our bigger wedding, also hired her to do my wedding makeup for our small/intimate backyard ceremony earlier this year. I am so happy with my decision. Karuna made me look/feel beautiful and glamorous while also being appropriate for a backyard wedding. She truly understands olive/brown skin and knows how to highlight and bring out the best. I am even more excited now to work with her next year and can't wait to have memories of 2 looks from her!! I would recommend her to absolutely anyone & everyone.

Sent on 11/02/2020

Mojgan Rastegar · Married on 02/04/2020

Dream Wedding Make Up Experience

My wedding seems like yesterday, and I think it will forever feel so palpable. The feeling of elation mixed with bliss, confidence, and pure joy persists even now, and I have Karuna Chani and her talented team to thank for it. She made me feel like the most important person in the world with her precise eye for details, soft yet strong touch, and ability to pull out my personality and who I am on the canvas that is the human face. On top of all of this, she and her team made every woman near and dear to me, my sisters and mom, feel exactly the same way. Everyone was glowing from the inside because of the experience Karuna and the team gifted us from the outside.

I vividly remember my mom, who is somewhat soft-spoken and shy, open up to Karuna about her fall and the way is bruised her face. With sensitivity, she made her feel so comfortable and delicately applied the make up to her tender face so she was pain-free. Each and every one of us felt at home in the team’s hands because they are so professional, positive, and fun. I also remember over 400 people waiting for me downstairs along with trigger-happy photographers and the team reduced the stress with their jokes, smiles, and get-it-down attitude. If I could turn back time and have the wedding all over again, I would pick Karuna in a heartbeat. In fact, the incredible photos just arrived, and seeing my face, my loved ones’ faces, and the light in our eyes, we are able to relive that night. I recommend Karuna to all my friends and hope our paths cross again!

Sent on 05/14/2019

KC Makeup by Karuna Chani's reply:

O.M.G...I am speechless. You brought me to tears. This is just so beautiful. Can't thank you enough for being so kind & generous. We absolutely loved working with you as well! Such a pleasure. And yes...we shall def meet again! 100%!!

Akriti Gupta · Married on 09/28/2019

Must book!

Where to even begin with this review... All I can say is that hiring KC Makeup will assure you that there is literally one less thing to worry about during your wedding weekend!
    First off, Karuna is very responsive and clear in all her communication. This was absolutely refreshing, as she wasn't a vendor that I ever had to chase after to get a response; instead, if there was anything that needed to be clarified, she made the effort to directly communicate with me through email or phone. Also as someone who planned my wedding without a planner, it was nice having a clear explanation of services and fees- I had absolutely no surprises before, during, or even after my wedding. Also, since the location of my wedding was non-traditional (barn wedding in the Catskills), Karuna was one of the few NYC vendors that was open to the logistical challenge and very accommodating throughout any changes.
    Now, for the actual services...I don't think I can even explain in words how amazing I felt my entire weekend. Karuna and Krish were the dream team that attended to me, my MOH, and mom during the wedding weekend. As someone who is artistic and into makeup myself, I knew I wanted a vendor who shared my passion for creativity. These women are not just wedding hair and make up artists, they are TRUE ARTISTS and PERFECTIONISTS. They are up to date with trends, styles, and know what works best for every skin tone/hair type/face shape/ etc. They knew I wanted non-traditional and unique looks for all my events, and I got just that! I even trusted them with my reception look without a trial, which was a little out of my comfort zone, and boy am I glad I did- I looked and felt like a movie star! The best part was that this team was not just focused on hair/makeup. They completely styled me head to toe, using their experience about colors, fabrics, flowers, and studying details of my wedding to help me make final decisions about my draping, jewelry, etc. I just want everyone to note that this does not happen without YEARS of experience, education, and training- there is a reason these women are at the TOP of the industry!
    Now, to top it all off was their personalities. I think the most relaxed parts of my weekend were when I was getting ready, and it is all due to Karuna & Krish. It truly felt like I was having my very own girlfriends helping me get ready for my wedding. They were extremely kind, honest, hilarious, and always had my best interest in mind (especially when I was getting overwhelmed at times). They went above and beyond multiple times, including making sure I was eating/drinking and that I didn't leave the room with ashy elbows (lol!). Karuna and Krish truly felt like my fairy godmothers, and I can't imagine having had anyone else during this important time in my life!

Sent on 10/28/2019

KC Makeup by Karuna Chani's reply:

So touched. So grateful. So happy that everything worked out so beautifully. Friends for Life. xox KC

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2020 Winner

KC Makeup by Karuna Chani FAQ

• What is the base price for blowouts for brides?
    $ 25.00
  • What is the price of trial service for updos/styling for brides?
    $ 150.00
  • What is the base price for updos/styling for attendants/family members?
    $ 100.00
  • What beauty services do you offer?
    Consultations
    Hair
    Makeup
    Licensed
  • What hair services do you offer?
    Blowouts
    Extensions
    Textured Hair Styling
    Updos / Styling
  • What makeup services do you offer?
    Airbrush Makeup
    Contour Makeup
    Fake Lashes
    Tattoo Coverage
  • What is the maximum group size you can accommodate?

• Stella Fatale Wedding Hair & Makeup

Karuna is without a doubt one of the greatest makeup artists I have ever seen. She is not only talented but also incredibly professional and a focused director of cultural traditions and a calm and organized presence keeping detailed weddings on track. It was a pleasure working with Karuna and I look forward to future events with her. She is a top recommendation for any bride!

• Preeti Exclusive Events Wedding Planners

As an event planner, one is mindful about the vendors they select that will play a role in timing, professionalism and communication. Karuna is my 'go-to' artist for any bride needing glamorous services for their big day. I have seen her complete traditional to modern styles for brides and mothers with ease. I recommend KC Makeup to anyone that wants that "wow" factor!

• 39 West 29th St., Suite 611 New York, 10001 See on map
    917.478.9965 (Phone number)
    9174789965 (Other Phone Number)
    Location of (KC Makeup by Karuna Chani)