Dennis Drenner Photographs

3646 Elm Ave, Baltimore, MD 21211 Map · Phone number

About Dennis Drenner Photographs

In college at the University of Maryland, Dennis Drenner was studying to be a biologist when he began taking pictures for the student newspaper and fell in love with photography. Fascinated as he was by the workings of the natural world, Dennis found the observation of our own peculiar species even more compelling. By graduation, he had decided to trade in his microscope for a camera lens.

Seventeen years later, Dennis has now photographed extensively around the United States and all over the world, always with the scientist's habit of looking for the basic truths under the surface of things, the common human stories that lie beneath our external differences.

Dennis' work has won awards in the national Pictures of the Year competition, three Maryland State Arts Council Grants, an Arthur Burns Fellowship to work at the German magazine Stern , and a Fulbright Fellowship to photograph in Pakistan. His clients include such publications as the Washington Post, New York Times, US News and World Report, The Sunday Times (London), and Der Spiegel (Germany).

Over the past five years Dennis has developed a passion for Latin America, has traveled extensively in the region and speaks fluent Spanish.

………………………………………………………………………

Early on in my career, two of my newspaper colleagues asked me to photograph their weddings one summer. Imagining myself a rugged, world-traveling photo-stud, I was of course appalled. “I don’t do weddings! I don’t shoot those cheesy, staged photos! I’m not going to spend hours arranging bridesmaids!” They calmly told me that they didn’t want me to do that either. “Just take your own pictures. We like your pictures.” they said. And I was flattered, and I relented, and the rest is history.

What I quickly learned is that weddings have everything photojournalists love to shoot - emotion, pageantry, drama - all wrapped up in a neat eight-hour package with an open bar. I also learned that there are hordes of people in the world who also want my sort of pictures, candid photographs that reflect their own particular personalities and relationships rather than Martha Stewart’s idea of how things should be.

The other thing we photojournalists love is to make a difference with our photographs, to illuminate, to educate, to make people see through our eyes. And while my wedding photos are seen by far fewer people than my work published in the Washington Post for example, the effects are far deeper and longer lasting. And so is my satisfaction when a bride tells me my photos made her hands shake with emotion, or a groom says that I took the best picture of his grandfather he has ever seen, or when I run into a couple five years after the wedding and learn that photos I have nearly forgotten remain fresh and powerful in their minds and in their lives.

Follow Dennis Drenner Photographs on

indian wedding dancing

66 Reviews for Dennis Drenner Photographs

Rachel Higginbotham · Married on 11/16/2018

Couldn't ask for better

I must look at my wedding photos at least twice a day! Dennis did a fabulous job documenting our wedding. He was calm, kind, and a true professional during the wedding day, and he turned the final edits around so quickly, we actually were able to enjoy looking at them on our honeymoon. We love how he captured the small moments that made our wedding special. Thank you, Dennis!

• Travis

Travis Griffin · Married on 10/27/2018

Dennis is a top-notch and affordable photographer!

Dennis was perfect throughout our day. There's really not much else I can say. Just the pinnacle of professionalism, talent, and geniality. He showed up on time and got every shot we asked him to get. His still shots were thorough and awesome. And his candid shots were just amazing! I can't recommend Dennis enough!

Lisa · Married on 06/17/2018

Dennis Drenner and Michael photographed our wedding at the George Peabody Library on 6/17/18. The photos were EXCEPTIONAL. He is clearly an experienced photo journalist and could easily charge double what he charged us and it would still be worth every single penny. The photos he took are so genuine and full of emotion. He truly captured the personality of all of our guests in candid portraits. Dennis and Michael took over 7000 photos at our event and somehow managed to turn the photos around very quickly (within 2 weeks!) and delivered to us about 850 stunning shots. We are so thankful we worked with Dennis for our big day. He is low key and we barely even noticed his presence but he somehow captured every single moment of that very special day. We will cherish his photos and the memories of our wedding day for the rest of our lives.

Dennis Drenner Photographs FAQ

• What is the starting price for your wedding photography services? $ 3,000.00
  • Which of the following are included in the starting price? 2nd Shooter, High-Res Images, Multi. Locations, Toning, Digital Files
  • What is the price of your most popular wedding package? $ 3,500.00
  • Which of the following are included in the price of your most popular wedding package? 2nd Shooter, High-Res Images, Multi. Locations, One Event / Day, Toning, Digital Files
  • What photography services do you offer? Additional Hours, Boudoir Shoot, Custom Graphics, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Liability Insurance, Multi. Locations, One Event / Day, Second Shooter, Slideshow, Toning, Trash The Dress

• Heather St. Clair Events
    Heather St. Clair Events Wedding Planners

Dennis captures all the little details of your wedding day with his stunning photography! With a photojournalistic background, he knows when to blend in and capture the wedding as it unfolds. But he also knows when to be more assertive, guiding you and your guests for formal portraits - like the amazing group shot of 100+ people he took at our last event together. I recommend him to all my brides who are looking for a very personable, laid-back photographer who takes great pictures.

• Weddings Your Way by Mary & Associates
    Weddings Your Way by Mary & Associates Wedding Officiants

This Baltimore wedding photographer, photojournalist and portrait photographer is truly a professional that I would recommend. He's perfect for local and destination weddings and engagement portrait sessions. He brings 20 years of professionalism to his art of photography. Mary Tankersley

• Debbie Federico - Professional Makeup Artist
    Debbie Federico - Professional Makeup Artist Wedding Hair & Makeup

I've been a makeup artist for over 25 years, but the first wedding that I ever had featured in "Brides Magazine" was photographed by Dennis Drenner. His wedding photos are not only beautiful, but convey so much emotion. His warm personality and incredible talent allows him to quietly capture the special moments of your wedding day. You'll be able to re-live your special day through his amazing photos for years to come! I highly recommend Dennis as a photographer and know that you will really enjoy working with him.

• 3646 Elm Ave Baltimore, MD 21211 See on map