2211 Chesdin Lake Rd, Church Road, VA 23833 Map · Phone number · Visit website
  • Pricing

About Confections of a Cake

Confections of a Cake is a custom wedding cake studio in Church Road, Virginia. Have you ever heard of a Southern baker? Well, that’s what you’ll find at Confections of a Cake! Owner Ann Tilley grew up baking alongside her mother and her grandmother, absorbing generations of Southern recipes and traditions. Today, Confections of a Cake is a family-owned company that offers a variety of cake flavors and fillings, all made from scratch.

When you choose Confections of a Cake, your consultation is done in your home (within a 50 mile radius) or in the studio. Services include custom designs, private tastings, delivery, and set up. Need a groom’s cake, cake pops, or cupcakes to go along with your wedding cake? Ann and her team can help with that, too! Confections of a Cake offers traditional flavors like vanilla and red velvet, plus nontraditional flavors like southern brown butter (most popular), cookie butter, maple bacon, lemon, and champagne.

Follow Confections of a Cake on

Confections of a Cake 5
Confections of a Cake 6
Confections of a Cake 7

Katie Dunigan · Married on 06/01/2019

Perfect experience! Went above and beyond and was so beautiful and the taste was amazing!

We met Ann at a convention but it was though she found us! She was perfect! She came to our home without payment or expectations. We tasted everything and truly loved them all we couldn’t make a decision! We knew almost immediately that she was perfect! She did our grooms cake as an Xbox controller with “game over”- it was exactly what we wanted and really made the night of the Rehearsal- it tasted 💯!!
    Our wedding cake was beautiful! I handed her the flowers (she met us !!) and we didn’t have enough. She said she knew what to do and pulled it off!
    There really aren’t words to express my gratitude! Thank you for providing such excellent service!
    -Katie and Mike Dunigan

Sent on 10/08/2019
    Confections of a Cake 8
    Confections of a Cake 9

Confections of a Cake's reply:

Thank you Katie! It was such an honor to be included in your Wedding Day! Such an amazing couple. We can't wait to see you in a year for more CAKE.
    Ann
  • Beth

Elizabeth · Married on 05/25/2019

The Best! Wedding Cake & Cupcakes

In Brief:
    I used Confections of a Cake for my wedding, and I cannot recommend Ann and her team enough! Ann is truly a master of her craft and working with her was an absolute pleasure.

The Complete Experience:
    At the insistence of one of my friends, I attended the Richmond Wedding Expo. I already had my mind set on one of my favorite local bakeries; however, I found their samples to be very disappointing. After sampling all of the other dessert vendors at the expo, I stumbled on a final cake booth – Confections of a Cake. There were two flavors left – chocolate and key lime. At this point, the idea of sampling more sweets was very unappealing, but since key lime pie is one of my favorite desserts, my curiosity got the best of me. I asked my mom to split one with me which immediately led me to ask her to split the chocolate and then for us both to grab our own individual samples. Ann's cupcakes tasted like they had just been made. They were moist and balanced with rich, complex flavors. I immediately went home and told my fiancé I'd found our cake vendor.

Ann has a very extensive list of cake flavors, fillings and icings. When I reached out to her to set up a tasting, I selected a few options from her list and mentioned that we had our heart set on a couple of additional flavors/combos that were not listed. Fast forward to the tasting, Ann immediately put us at ease when we arrived to her house (complete with a separate commercial kitchen area). On top of being a true professional and an amazing baker, she is a genuinely warm and lovely person with a passion for her trade. Ann talked us through the options she offered and showed us examples of her work before starting us off on the tasting. She prepared several mini cakes with different fillings and icings, including several of the custom flavors I’d previously mentioned. All were delicious, and my fiancé and I surprised ourselves by picking out a couple of flavors that weren't on our initial list but were too good to pass up. Ann helped us determine what we wanted/needed and sent us home the rest of our samples, a promise to follow up with a quote and a sketch of the cake and advice to shop around before making a final decision.

As soon as we left, we knew that last part wouldn't be necessary. We quickly contracted with Ann to provide a 6" cutting cake with sugar flowers and 8 dozen assorted cupcakes. When we had our final call before the wedding, I felt like I was talking to a friend. I was super stressed, and talking to Ann immediately made me feel better. She let me know when she planned to arrive, assured me that she would set everything up in the very specific manner requested (I opted to provide my own platters and stands and sent Ann photos of how I wanted the cupcakes arranged), and reminded me to breath and enjoy my day.

The execution on my wedding day was flawless. Setup was exactly as requested, and the cake and cupcakes were delicious. Several guests commented on the amazing cupcakes and asked where they came from, and I saw several tables divvying them up to ensure they got to try all of the different flavors. The following day, my mom brought over our leftovers, and I invited her to have a piece of cake with me. I don't know how, but I think it was even better the next day. Following our initial slices, my mom said she thought it was the best cake she had every had, and we were reduced to eating the cake straight out of the box. All I can say is thank you, Ann! We are already looking forward to our anniversary cake.

Sent on 06/13/2019
    Confections of a Cake 10
    Confections of a Cake 11
    Confections of a Cake 12
    Confections of a Cake 13
    Confections of a Cake 14

Confections of a Cake's reply:

Oh My Gosh Beth! Norma and I are sitting here with tears of joy in our eyes.
    You and Ryan were so much fun for us. You did my absolute favorite thing...flavor mixing. I LOVE mixing, not so traditional, flavors together. It makes the experience so unique for you.
    We can't wait to see you and Ryan in a year for more CAKE... and all the years updates.
    Thank you so much for allowing us to be a part of your Wedding Day.
    Ann, Norma, & Shannon

Award

Confections of a Cake Pricing

Confections of a Cake Price Rates

Confections of a Cake FAQ

• What is the starting price for wedding cakes with buttercream frosting (per slice, without tax)? $ 4.80
  • What is the starting price for fondant wedding cakes (per slice, without tax)? $ 5.50
  • Which of the following are included in the cost of the cake? Anniversary Cake, Top Tier of the Cake
  • What is the starting price for cupcakes (per cupcake, without tax)? $ 2.85
  • What types of desserts do you provide? Cake Pops, Cakes, Cupcakes, Groom's Cake
  • What cake items do you provide? Cake Stands