We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Tara
Savvy October 2021

When to start looking for a wedding dress

Tara, on July 9, 2020 at 9:19 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 1 48
Saved Save
Hi!
My wedding isn’t until oct 2021! I already started looking at wedding dresses. I found one I love but am nervous to purchase it and since I have so long until ‘ I do’ I’m scared I’ll find another one along the way but if I don’t purchase it and it gets closer to the wedding and I can’t find anything else and it’s sold out or discontinued I’d be so upset! When did you girls start wedding shopping? Am I too early!!

48 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I started shopping around a year out, which I think is pretty average, so you're really not that much further ahead. I see no issue purchasing now.

• Yasmine
    Super March 2021
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is March 2021 and I found my dress January 31 of this year. I don’t think it’s too early, I feel like the websites and wedding planning say don’t shop too early but I was able to find a really good deal on my dress (almost $1000 off) so I bought it right away. If you love the dress I say go for it, if you only like it I would wait. I feel like you will know when you find THE DRESS though!
  • Taran
    Devoted September 2020
    Taran ·
    • Flag

I bought my dress in 2018 and get married this September. Every now and then I feel like I missed out on the dress trying experience because I only tried on 3 dresses, but leading up to getting my dress I couldn't stop looking at pictures of it and didn't want to take it off once I tried it on. I think if you love the dress and want to buy it you should go for it, but once you buy the dress stop looking at other dresses

• Tara
    Savvy October 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awesome! I do love it online! I’m going to David’s Bridal on Saturday to try it on, hoping I still have the same love for it!
  • Margaret
    VIP October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

I bought my dress in February for my upcoming October Wedding. I always knew the style I wanted and glad I didn't go with it because I ended up finding a more beautiful dress and different style.

If it's "the dress" you're going to know it right away. If you're doubting it already, then it's not the dress.

• Tara
    Savvy October 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Yeah I noticed it on the website last week and since have been looking for possible jewelry to go with it and hair styles which I haven’t done with any of the other dresses I’ve come across !
  • Yasmine
    Super March 2021
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I also bought my dress from David’s bridal. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted from their website and when I got their I bought something completely different. I say be open to trying on different styles because you might see something that you love more and never would’ve thought of!
  • Tara
    Savvy October 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s true Margaret! I didn’t think of it like that! I guess I will see when I see it in person and on too! On the website & model I love it but may have a thought when I try it on
  • Mrs. S
    Super November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    I bought my dress 19 months out no regrets. I loved it, but also it is a dress you will wear for one day to look nice in pictures and say your vows in. If your size doesn’t fluctuate too much, you have somewhere to keep it, and you stop shopping, it’ll be fine.
  • Tara
    Savvy October 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for that advice! I do have three dresses pinned to try on just to give options and because I’ve heard about that happening to a lot of people!
  • Tara
    Savvy October 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s true! I mean if anything I just plan on losing weight! So I can always get it altered in that case but that’s good to here since I’m about 13 months out!
  • Margaret
    VIP October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I always wanted a mermaid dress, but when I put it on and my body type, I looked like Charlie Tuna from the old starkist commercials. I ended up with a much more classy trumpet / sheath style as it accentuated me.

• Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2021
    Chrysta Online ·
    • Flag
    It’s definitely not too early! I got my dress a year and a half out. But, thanks to COVID-19, that has now turned into 2 1/2 years out 🤦🏼‍♀️
  • Tara
    Savvy October 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! When I tried going on google to figure this out they said a year out. I know I’m not super far behind that but being all new to this I felt like I needed some tips!

Although, I don’t really trust the website I went on to look up time frames and dates because for most of the vendors it said start planing 6-8 months out but some of the vendors we’ve contact for our oct 2021 wedding are already booked!
  • L
    Super July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I don't think it's too early to purchase the dress if you know it's the one you want! If you do decide to purchase it, I recommend that you stop looking at dresses after you buy it so that you don't find another one that you might like. Also, I recommend that you wait to start alterations until next summer. Otherwise, happy dress shopping!!
  • Tara
    Savvy October 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awesome idea with the alternations! Thank you
  • Michelle
    Devoted May 2021
    Michelle Online ·
    • Flag

I bought mine about 14 months out, now with another 10 months, due to covid. My dress took 4 months to arrive. Once you do buy your dress, STOP looking at wedding dresses! This way you don’t see another dress that you wish you tried lol. I love my dress, it was hard for me to find the one, so when I did I didn’t hesitate. I am lucky that the bridal shop is also willing to store my dress at the shop.

• Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2021
    Chrysta Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

My motto is, it’s never too early to be organized! LOL Plus, a majority of wedding dresses are made in China. Because of the pandemic, wedding dress production is really far behind! It’s smart to order much earlier in the current global situation.
    I will also offer up this piece of advice... once you have fallen in love with a dress and decided to purchase it, DO NOT continue looking at dresses! Do not go into stores, do not Google, do not Pinterest! LOL
  • Tara
    Savvy October 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s great advice! I didn’t think about the slower production of wedding during due to the pandemic!

I see it with venues and vendors and everyone having to re plan so that is a great idea for the wedding dress! Haha I live on Pinterest especially with getting wedding ideas but I will stay off the wedding dress pins!
  • Tara
    Savvy October 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks Michelle! I’m sorry your wedding got pushed back ! Thank you for the advice! The most important thing is I stop looking after I buy ! Lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles