Jayla
Champion October 2025

When did you meet the parents/family?

Jayla, on July 3, 2018 at 2:05 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 39
Saved Save

It’s the big moment, you’re meeting your future spouse's parents and/or family! How long into the relationship before you all met? How did it happen?

Share your story!

When did you meet the parents/family? 1

Bradley Images, inc.

39 Comments

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

He met my parents very early on because I lived at home when we met. I'd say it wasn't even a few weeks and he met my parents and my sister. They loved him immediately and he came around to the house almost every day until we bought our house together over a year ago now!

I met his mom almost a month after we started dating and he took me to her house for dinner. He didn't tell her I was coming (which I didn't know until we got there)... so she was in pajamas and making hamburger helper for herself (his step dad works rotational shifts and he was on night shift that week). When I walked into the house I went and hugged her and I don't think she was expecting that! Honestly, I felt so at home at her house and it was a really good first meeting experience. I didn't meet his dad and stepmom (his parents are divorced) until almost 6 months of dating but that's because they lived a little farther away.

We probably knew all of each others family after a few months of dating!

• Kristina
    Master August 2018
    Kristina ·
    • Flag

My FH's family lives out in California and Oregon, so it was a long time before I met them all. I was engaged before I met them.

The only one I met before that was his mother, who flew out to Michigan for his graduation from college. We were dating at that point, but it had only been for a year.

I met most of his family last November. We flew out to Cali and stayed with his brother and SIL, met his cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.

Then this past April, we flew out to Oregon to meet his dad. THAT was incredibly nerve wracking, because his dad is...different. I don't even know a word to properly describe him, other than old-school Indian lol! But I got through it and now frequently talk to his parents on the phone, face time with his brother, sister, and my soon-to-be nieces. They seem to like me pretty well!

My family accepted my FH with open arms. We have a....few...older people who weren't as thrilled with the idea of me marrying an Indian man, but once they met him and he made them laugh, their reservations were lessened.

• Kaylyn
    Super May 2019
    Kaylyn ·
    • Flag
    FW met my family the same day she met me, at my siblings wedding (she was my brothers best woman).
    I met my FWs family 4 months into our relationship, at her going away/new years party
  • Time2Shine
    Devoted September 2019
    Time2Shine ·
    • Flag
    I met his mom the first year that we were dating.
  • Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·
    • Flag

I knew his mom from church months before we started dating.

I officially went to his house for the first time about 2 weeks after we starting hanging out. I met his dad then too. Apparently my fiance had never brought home a girl before, and I was the first, and that was definitely quick! Maybe he knew it was meant to be? lol

• B
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Brianne ·
    • Flag
    I met them the same day I met him!! I actually met his brother first when he was with an old friend of mine. She invited me to be her maid of honor at their wedding. By the way at this time she had been living in North Dakota and I was still at home in Oregon. I made the decision to come up here and the best man and I hit it off. July 11th will be 3 years!!! I will be honest his family is full of drama and doesn't communicate well. I still love then though! I just can't wait for him to meet my family now! He thought his was bad? Just wait!
  • Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Kaylyn!! It's funny how things work out lol!!

Thanks for sharing and congratsSmiley heart

• Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh wow lol!! Congrats to you both!! I hope everything goes well with the meeting, please come back and share!

Smiley heart

• A
    Expert January 2019
    Anakaren ·
    • Flag
    I met my fiancé family 6 months into us dating I felt pressure to do it because he really wanted me to meet them and I wasn’t ready so I pushed myself to do it and I’m glad I did because I get along with all of them every well
  • Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

He definitely knew it was meant to be lol!! So cute!

CongratsSmiley ring

• AJ
    VIP September 2018
    AJ ·
    • Flag
    He met my mom about two weeks in, because I lived with her. He didn't meet my dad until like 2 years into the relationship, because he lives halfway across the country.

I met his parents about a month in.
  • Sarah
    Master June 2016
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    H met my daughter 3 months into our relationship. She was 13 months at the time. He met my parents 4 months in and the rest of my family a few months later. Both his parents had passed away before we met, but I met the majority of his extended family 6 months in at his cousin’s college graduation party.
  • Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen Online ·
    • Flag
    He met mine after about 2 months, my family took us out to dinner and FH ordered a tiny cup of soup because he felt bad that my mom was paying 😂
    I met his parents after 4 months, they live in CA so we stopped at their house for a couple days on the way back from Hawaii. Our flight was delayed 10 hours (literally) and we “slept” on the plane, so had been traveling for about 15 hours with barely any sleep and no shower 😖 not the first impression I dreamed of but surely a memorable one hahaha
  • Allie
    Super September 2018
    Allie ·
    • Flag

So we started dating/talking in Aug 2015 and I met his family at the beginning of Oct, he never brought girls home, because he didnt want his family to get attached to anyone he wasnt serious about. So I ended up going out of town with his WHOLE family that thanksgiving so, needless to say it moved quick lol!

He met my family all within the same month as well. I have a much larger family so he met them in smaller spurts! Smiley heart

Cool question!

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

We were dating for 3 months before I met his mom. She lives on the other side of the country or I would have met her sooner. She actually had dirt cheap hotel rooms in Vegas and invited us to come out for the weekend. I'd never been so we jumped on it and went out! She loved me right away! It was amazing meeting his mom and having her love me instead of hating me for having weird hair like my ex's mom lol.

His dad on the other hand I'll never meet. He's alive but hasn't been a part of his life since he was very young. He even dropped his dad's name from his last name since it was hyphenated and he knew I didn't want to take on that part of his name.

He met my dad after a month or two of dating when he came to town to help me install new floors in my condo. I can't remember when he met my mom...lol

• BB-H
    VIP September 2018
    BB-H ·
    • Flag

He met my brother and father after we knew each other for a few months. They came to see a play that I was in and I introduced them both to all my cast mates including him. He played a character named Jack and that's how my dad has jokingly referred to him since.

He formally met my parents after we had been dating for about 2 months (well over a year after the first meeting) when he rode in their car with them for about 45 minutes to a reception for a wedding that I was in. He handled it well and my parents have been in love with him since. Smiley smile The rest of my family has taken him in as one of their own.

I met his parents briefly after a show that he was in a few months after we started dating and spent more time with them at his dad's birthday dinner not long after.

• Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Genevieve! That is definitely memorable lol!! I can't stop laughing at the tiny cup of soup!!

Thanks for sharingSmiley heart

• Jayla
    Champion October 2025
    Jayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Allie, thanks for sharing! I have a large family as well so I definitely understand breaking it down instead of one big meeting! It can be overwhelming lol!

• OG Gretchen
    Super June 2018
    OG Gretchen ·
    • Flag

I met FH's parents when I was about 12 because we lived one street away from each other.

• M
    Super October 2018
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    We both lived with our parents while going to college so it was inevitable that we would meet each others parents early. We met each other's parents about a month into the relationship. We went out to dinner with my parents. My parents loved him. I don't remember my first interaction with his parents (it's was almost six years ago).

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics