Vannesa
Just Said Yes November 2017

Wedding dresses for short petite frame?

Vannesa, on July 12, 2016 at 8:59 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 22
Saved

Any wedding dress style recommendations for short petite frame? I'm 4"11 lol I don't want to look like the flower girl that day instead of the bride!!!!

22 Comments

Latest activity by MelisM, on February 19, 2018 at 8:36 AM
  • FutureMrs.Dyson
    Super December 2016
    FutureMrs.Dyson ·
    • Flag

I'm 5'2" and mermaid, fit and flair look good on me. Ball gowns can seem to eat your frame and a line can leave you looking short. Also small elements like backless or different necklines will give you length

• Deb
    VIP January 2017
    Deb ·
    • Flag

I'm 4'11. I went with an a line. The ball gowns didn't work for me, I was lost in the fabric. The mermaid also was not flattering. I did try every style to see what worked.

• BlueHenBride
    Master March 2017
    BlueHenBride ·
    • Flag

I'm 5'0" and ended up with a mermaid/fit and flare. I picked out one that flared out higher up, rather than a trumpet style that flares out closer to the floor. I tried one in that flares out low and it made me look very short.

• A
    VIP June 2017
    Along10 ·
    • Flag

I'm 5' and ended up with a mermaid / fit & flare as well. A ball gown was my runner up. I thought I would look like a cupcake but it actually looked nice on me. Every dress will look different on different people. I suggest trying every style to see what you love most! You may be surprised!

• LoveInDC
    Master November 2016
    LoveInDC ·
    • Flag

I'm 5'1.5" and did a fit & flare. I didn't look terrible in a-line or ball gowns, they just weren't my style. Try everything and find what you love.

• Sarah Jackson
    Savvy March 2017
    Sarah Jackson ·
    • Flag

I'm 5' 0" and went with an a-line with a dropped waist. I have a longer torso and really short legs and I felt like a dropped waist made me look taller by showing off a longer torso.

• MMB
    Master January 2017
    MMB ·
    • Flag

I'm 4'11" and had the same worries. I would stay away from ball gowns. I ultimately went with an A-Line and made sure the skirt wasn't too poofy which helped. This is what I picked...

• Kelly814
    Dedicated October 2016
    Kelly814 ·
    • Flag

Try on several different styles to get an idea of what will look good on you!! And if your stylist tries to box you into a certain type of dress, go with someone else! What I learned from dress shopping is that what works for one shorter girl may not work with the next. It really depends on your proportions.

I found for me that something very fitted and simple helped define my body and made me look taller. I tried on one rouched dress thinking that it'd make me look tall & skinny - nope!! The extra fabric just made me look wider and thus shorter. Lots of beading also overwhelmed my small frame. Ball gowns weren't bad, but wasn't quite the look I'm going for.

I ended up with a fit & flare Blush by Hayley Paige with a super simple bodice that hugs my frame and a long, flowy tulle skirt that gives a romantic feel. But something like that might not work for you depending on your proportions! I've got a small waist and narrow hips, so the long fitted bodice helped give me some curve on bottom to balance out the top. I've also got a crazy short torso, so the fit and flare helped elongate me as well. If you're more curvy on the bottom, a straighter a-line might look better good! It all depends on your body type - not just your height.

• Kelly814
    Dedicated October 2016
    Kelly814 ·
    • Flag

Also, make sure you have a good seamstress!! Talk to them about how they will hem your dress. Depending on the style and how big it is, it may need to be hemmed a certain way. Just cutting off the bottom may still leave you with a bodice that's too long - they will most likely need to raise the bottom to keep the dress's proportions. When trying dresses on, see if the waist & hips are hitting in the correct spot, and if not, ask what can be done to correct it.

• LauraM
    VIP February 2017
    LauraM ·
    • Flag

I'm 4'11" and I went with a high low. Ball gowns looked too overwhelming on me.

• Jessica
    Devoted June 2017
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I'm 5'1" with a really narrow frame, so I never imagined myself in a ballgown. I actually found one I really liked, but it made me feel like such a child. I ended up choosing a much more fitted dress than I expected (link below) . It was probably the only dress I tried on that I could envision altered to my height.

http://www.morilee.com/bridals/bridal/2809

• NewFutureMrs
    Super September 2016
    NewFutureMrs ·
    • Flag

I'm 5'2" and went with an a line. Just like pps said, try on everything. You never know what you'll like on you until you, well, put it on you. Smiley smile

• MNA
    Master April 2018
    MNA ·
    • Flag

I'm 4'11" and went with a ballgown. I liked how it looked on me WAY better than anything else.

You really won't know until you try. Don't rule things out just because others say they didn't work for them. Had I done that, I wouldn't have tried any ball gowns, yet they were the only dresses I really loved on me.

• Kels
    Master August 2016
    Kels ·
    • Flag

I'm 5 2" I went with mermaid and am wearing TALL heels to help give it the proportions the designer made it for...

I know that some designers will make petite portion dresses so be on the hunt for those!

• K
    Beginner November 2016
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag

Tea length works perfect for us vertically challenged.

• annakay511
    Master July 2015
    annakay511 ·
    • Flag

I'm 5'2" and I absolutely loved my mermaid gown! I think it's better to keep the silhouette sleek rather than poofy to help elongate you and show your adult figure. Tea length is TERRIBLE for short girls!! It cuts you right at the absolute worst spot on your legs, making you look shorter.

• chelsea
    Dedicated August 2017
    chelsea ·
    • Flag

I'm 4'11 and went with a tulle ball gown

• Mrs.Hancock
    Devoted June 2015
    Mrs.Hancock ·
    • Flag

I'm 5'1 and my dress was A line just go with the style of dress that fits your body type the best and then have it altered to fit.

In this picture I had taken off my shoes and my slip.

• Erin
    VIP May 2017
    Erin ·
    • Flag

I'm 4'11'' and went with a mermaid. However I am more curvy, so it may be different. You just have to try on different styles

• Toni
    Dedicated March 2017
    Toni ·
    • Flag

I'm 5'1! I wanted to make sure and avoid anything too full that would overwhelm. Here is what I went with, train will be smaller when it's my size! Smiley smile

My great grandma always told me great things come in small packages!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics