We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Sydney
Beginner November 2021

Those who were flexible with their wedding dates, how did you come up with a final date?

Sydney, on July 25, 2019 at 12:04 AM

Posted in Planning 65

Did the date have significance? Was it the first time you met? First kiss? First I love you? Or was the date chosen based on venue options or family travel convenience? Should the date we get married have some form of significance?

Did the date have significance? Was it the first time you met? First kiss? First I love you? Or was the date chosen based on venue options or family travel convenience? Should the date we get married have some form of significance?

65 Comments

• Alyssa
    Dedicated September 2020
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    We were looking at August/September and realized labor day was right in the middle of that time frame. With most of our guests being out of town, we figured we could take advantage of the long weekend. Plus, our venue is much cheaper on Sundays so we were able to book Sunday for a discounted rate and still have the next day off!
  • Kaitlyn
    Devoted May 2020
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Flag

Originally it was the anniversary of when we said "I love you". But now because of wanting everyone to be there (it's a weekday in May 2020) and the availability of the amphitheater and hall we want to rent, we're doing a Saturday two weeks after our original date.

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

Our wedding date didn't have any significance. We chose the date based on travel convenience & venue availability.

• L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

I had 3 requirements 1) my sibling could be home from overseas 2) the music director at church was available 3) church/venue/hotel were within walking distance. I picked the date where all of those things worked out. The date/church/venue wasn't that important to us - you can have a beautiful wedding anywhere.

• October2019
    Dedicated October 2019
    October2019 ·
    • Flag
    We originally had June 2020 no date. Then in like September I asked why are we waiting so long and told FH I didn't want to. He said idk why are we let's do October. So we then said October 12 in case he got a teaching job he could take a month to settle in before the wedding. We started looking at venues in September we found three on peerspace. We liked one and asked for October 12 and it was taken we asked what they had left and evey date in October but the 5th was gone. We didn't want to wait until November so October 5.
  • Yana
    Dedicated October 2019
    Yana ·
    • Flag

My fiance and i have been together for 10 years, engaged for a year and a half. I was taking my time planning the wedding and all of a sudden we decided to start looking at venues this spring. We saw a place we loved and were thinking of a Spring 2020 wedding then I thought to myself, what are we waiting for?! I recalled the event planner mentioning that fall is beautiful at their venue so I reached out and asked what dates they had available this fall and we chose one that wouldn't be too cold (hopefully, it is New York after all lol). October 20th 2019 was the date we chose. My anniversary is in January and although it would have been romantic to get married on that date it would be too cold and I don't want to wait anymore! Good luck choosing your date Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    We talked to our venue and found out what month and day of the week was cheapest and worked for us and our guests and chose a datebased on those options, season we liked and focused on not being to clise to holidays o birthdays, etc. For example: we chose December 7th of 2020 being in Monday and in December lets us save $1,200 and we wanted a winter wedding and being on a Monday it is close enough to the weekend for our guests. December 7th is in between Christmas and Thanksgiving and is a week before my future mother-in-law's birthday
  • Michaela
    Super May 2020
    Michaela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This was a wild story from start to finish lol

• Michaela
    Super May 2020
    Michaela ·
    • Flag

My FSIL got married in August of 2016 and I was dating my FH for a year and a half at this point. After all the festivities, my FMIL looked at me and said, I need 3 years before another wedding!!! Mostly we picked the year because I liked 2020, has a good ring to it. Plus it made sense to have extra time to save money. I picked May 30th because our current dating anniversary is March 30th, and 5-30-20 looks good on paper Smiley smile

• Melissa
    VIP September 2019
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    The first thing we agreed on was the month. We both wanted September because it’s not too hot and not too cold. From there we saw what days the venues we looked at had available. We chose a Friday to save money and got the last one our venue had open.
  • Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The beginning process of our planning was all a bit nuts. We also added two crazy home buying experiences. I'd like to think the dramatics are behind us.
  • K
    Devoted October 2020
    Kristie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I get that. Have you guys talked about that?
  • Rita-Jean
    Devoted May 2019
    Rita-Jean ·
    • Flag

We picked our date based on the honeymoon. We knew we wanted to cruise to Alaska, and the end of May is the best time to do so. The cruise left off on Sunday, and because it was Memorial Day weekend, Friday was much cheaper than Saturday. So that's how we picked May 24th, lol. It really had no significance otherwise.

• Sara
    Expert June 2020
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    I hope we will be able to get May 9 2020 and it's looking really good! We got engaged May 9 2019.
  • Ali
    Dedicated March 2021
    Ali ·
    • Flag
    For our date it was the day after he asked me out. Since the day he asked me out was a Friday in the month we wanted to get married in. We are having a beach wedding in the fall because we both wanted a wedding not in the hot North Carolina heat.
  • Amanda
    Savvy July 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    We decided on 9/5/2020 cause it is a long weekend 😏 plus September is a little cooler and hubby tends to get warm easily.
  • C
    Dedicated October 2019
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    We knew we wanted a Saturday in October. I had always wanted a fall wedding, and October is the month that we got together. What ended up being the determining factor was venue availability. We knew where we wanted the ceremony/reception to be and when we booked they only had one Saturday left for October 2019. So that sealed the deal! It just worked out that all the other vendors that we wanted were also available on that date.
  • Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    Our date didn't have any significance, but it does now 😁. We wanted a Saturday evening in the summer and our venue happened to have July as an off-season month. The 20th just had a nice ring to it, so that's the date we went with.
  • Destiera
    Devoted March 2020
    Destiera ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think it needs to be anything significant, but it definitely can be. Our date is the first day of spring as I wanted a spring wedding and I wanted it to be in March as my engagement ring’s stone is aquamarine.
  • Meaghan
    Savvy October 2020
    Meaghan ·
    • Flag
    Our date has no significance other than it is our date. We chose it because it allows the people we want most to be there to be able to attend. Also, we are getting married 6/6 @ 6:00, so neither one of us has any excuse to forget our anniversary in the future!

Comment on this discussion