You're on our mind during COVID-19. See our related wedding FAQs.

Sydney
Beginner November 2021

Those who were flexible with their wedding dates, how did you come up with a final date?

Sydney, on July 25, 2019 at 12:04 AM Posted in Planning 0 65
Saved Save

Did the date have significance? Was it the first time you met? First kiss? First I love you? Or was the date chosen based on venue options or family travel convenience? Should the date we get married have some form of significance?

65 Comments

• Elizabeth
    Expert September 2019
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

Our ceremony and reception is in a Friday evening. We'll have all day to get ready and relax! Our guests have the weekend to relax before traveling home, too!

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Our date was due to his schedule. So it was just the best time for him. But I think it would be cute if you decide on a date that means something
  • Reeshma
    Dedicated December 2019
    Reeshma ·
    • Flag
    We wanted to do it the weekend of our first date but considering we’re having an intimate wedding and wanted everyone we invited to show up, I asked my family if they’d be able to make it and since they couldn’t get that particular weekend off, I changed it to the nearest weekend that everyone could make it.
  • Alyssa
    Devoted October 2019
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    I knew I wanted a fall wedding but I also wanted a month that didn’t fall on any of our or our kids birthdays. As far as the actual date FH works in the oil field 14 on 14 off so I picked a weekend he would actually be home.
  • Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    I wanted to get married in Late June, July or October.
    Fiance wanted to get married in May or early June.
    The photographer I wanted told me she was available in March.
    Our date happens to be Lady Gaga's birthday.
    It might also be my paternal grandparents wedding date. But we dont know that for sure.
    Basically, it has no significance. We dont think it needs to.
  • Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

My original favorite date was just not feasible in terms of time/family commitments.

We pushed it back a month, found out FH's aunt/godmother would be away then, so decided to target the end of August.

Then we looked at venues with one or both of the weekends we wanted available.

My biggest concern was that FH's birthday is going to be the same week of our anniversary, now.

He's totally ok with it, so... awesome, really good reason to have a mega-party that week for the rest of our lives!

• K
    Devoted October 2020
    Kristie ·
    • Flag
    We originally wanted to get married the first weekend in May but college graduations are that weekend (we have 2 colleges, FSU and FAMU) so good luck on anyone getting a hotel room (we are originally from New Jersey). So obviously we had to move it. The rest of May was out due to heat. So was June, July, August and September. October was out because FH's first marriage was in October. November was out because, well, Thanksgiving. December is Christmas. January out so everyone can recover from Christmas. February is too cold. March...ahhhhhh perfect.

There is no significance yet. As soon as we get married it'll be our anniversary date so...
  • Cassy
    Devoted September 2020
    Cassy ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think the date has to have significance. We knew we wanted a beach wedding so we went from there. We looked to see which months were best, and then we ended up choosing Labor Day weekend mainly because it’s easier for our guests since most already have some time off from work (majority of them will be traveling for our wedding).
  • Wendy
    Rockstar August 2020
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    We are doing it on our 12th year anniversary !!! We were flexible since we are doing a DW and is symbolic....but thankfully they had our date availableSmiley smile
  • S
    Dedicated August 2019
    Susan ·
    • Flag

Venue and FH's work schedule!

• Sara
    Super October 2019
    Sara ·
    • Flag

We wanted a fall Saturday in late September or early October. We ended up with two realistic dates and chose October 5th for no real reason. 5 has been my lucky number ever since it was assigned to me for softball 20ish years ago, and we like the sound of "10.5", but that's about it haha

• Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    I first picked the month based on the country I finally ended up having my destination wedding. Because of weather reasons, season, plane ticket prices. Then I sat down with a calendar and chose a day, a Saturday. From there I started playing with the numbers and was surprise by how much this number made sense. The amount of years we dated, related to our engagement date, when we moved in together and his favorite number. It was silly to play around with it but to me felt like it all just made sense.
  • Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    We wanted a wedding in September or October. Due to costs, we decided on a lunch wedding & there was only 1x date that worked w/ the venue. So that’s the date.
  • Kristen
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    Definitely what the venue had available. I knew what venue I wanted and I knew I wanted a summer wedding, so I textedy venue guy and asked what dates were still available for July and August of 2020, then chose out of those. Decided on August 29, 2020 Smiley smile
  • Arielle
    Expert August 2020
    Arielle ·
    • Flag

Our date was due to the venues schedule. We were set on May. We didn't want to do memorial day weekend either so ended up with the 30th.

• Stephanie
    Super August 2019
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    We knew the general time frame in which we wanted to get married (I would’ve LOVED 9/14/19 because I thought the date was cool lol), but ultimately we settled on 8/24 because our venue had the whole weekend available that weekend and we needed to book it to start getting our other plans settled.
  • Ashley
    Dedicated May 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    We knew we wanted it in May or June and since the venue we picked had a few open weekends each of those months, we ultimately ended up picking May 16th because the flights to Paris and Greece are much lower in mid May than mid June 😂😂
  • Michelle
    Dedicated August 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I knew for sure I wanted it in the summer since sunflowers are in season. We also knew we wanted a Saturday wedding for those guests coming from out of town.

When we were looking at the calendar Aug 29, 2020 stood out because it’s my grandfather’s birthday and he would’ve been 80. He passed away a few years ago and we were incredibly close. It means a lot to me.
  • Michelle
    Dedicated August 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hello date twin! 👋🏼
  • Samantha
    Super August 2019
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    We were getting ready to come home at the end of our engagementmoon in SE Asia and while we were in Bali we each wrote 3 dates and 2 months on paper, put them in a hat and had a local shaman draw from the hat and that was our date! Lol.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics