risalee
Dedicated October 2011

The Royal Playa Del Carmen

risalee, on February 22, 2011 at 8:47 AM Posted in Honeymoon 0 11
Saved Save

I've been researching all-inclusives in Mexico and the Carribean for our honeymoon, and keep coming back to The Royal Playa Del Carmen. Has anyone been to this resort? We went to the Excellence Playa Mujeres in December, which was FABULOUS, and I'm worried we might not find anything better for our honeymoon. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them too!

11 Comments

• Kelly Jara
    August 2019
    Kelly Jara ·

Take a look at the Sandals resorts in Antigua and St. Lucia. They offer unique rooms like Rondovals, some with private plunge pools, and their butler service is the ultimate honeymoon luxury. They truly pamper you.

• ashlee
    Master January 2012
    ashlee ·

Hi there.... first of all congratulations!! )

i love love playa del carmen - - i vacationed at the royal hideaway a few years ago and it was absolutely flawless. the website is http://www.royalhideaway.com/index5.asp

weird that there is a royal, and a royal hideaway right? i looked it up and they are two different places. it is truly five star - experience, dining, service... all of it.

good luck!

*ashlee

• Karen Guyt
    August 2019
    Karen Guyt ·

I've been BY the resort in PDC, but not IN - I'm not much for AI resorts. If you like a busy touristy destination, it may work for you. Personally, I would head further south toward Tulum. We have rented homes in Tankah Tres several times & they have always been lovely. They actually rake the beach every morning to keep it pristine, and your lounge chair is always available on your own private beach. For specific reviews & a Riviera Maya forum, check out www.locogringo.com.

• Haley
    Devoted July 2011
    Haley ·

I have been to the Royal!!! It was amazing! It is right in the middle of downtown Playa so at night you can go into the city. The service was great! we parasailed right on the beach and charged it to our room. We had a fully stocked bar in the room and it has a magic box that I used constantly! The magic box is the window they deliver room service through so you dont have to open the door. I can personally tell you it looks exactly like the pictures. If you have any specific questions I will be glad to answer them-but I can tell you it was beautiful and the best resort I have been to so far!

• Laura Frazier
    August 2019
    Laura Frazier ·

I've been to the Royal. It's fantastic! But my favorite is still El Dorado Royale.

• Leslie Spurlock
    August 2019
    Leslie Spurlock ·

I photographed a wedding there back in Oct. and it was wonderful. I loved the fact that it was in town.

• Carole M (a.k.a "old tart")
    Master October 2011
    Carole M (a.k.a "old tart") ·

I am a Riviera Maya junky. THis resort was on my short list. Check out their live web cam. My only dislike was that the beach seemed to have a great deal of traffic.

Why not go back to Excellence Playa Mujeres. Those rooftop terrace suites look amazing.

• risalee
    Dedicated October 2011
    risalee ·

@ashlee g - Thanks! I've looked at the Royal Hideaway as well, and it looks really nice as well.

@HaleyT - thanks for the firsthand info, always good to hear from someone who has actually been there!

@Carole B - I have the same concern about the beach traffic - we're definitely more "quiet" beach people, so it's something we'll need to consider!

• Sunny
    Super June 2011
    Sunny ·

Whats the price range for this hotel? I saw the reviews and they looked great!

• risalee
    Dedicated October 2011
    risalee ·

The prices vary depending on the room type, but I've found them to be less expensive than Sandals (as a comparison). A week in the Presidential Suite is about $4500 (all-inclusive).

• Sunny
    Super June 2011
    Sunny ·

Wow, I'm going to have to show my fiance. It looks amazing.

Comment on this discussion