Mrs.
Super November 2012

Riviera Maya anyone?!

Mrs., on September 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM Posted in Honeymoon 0 29
Saved Save

Has anyone gone to Riviera Maya for honeymoon or vacation. how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking and how long did you stay. what tours did you go on? pics would be awesome if you have any!? thinking of going here for out honeymoon. we have about $3,000 to spend and cheapest place i could think of was mexico. what do you think?

29 Comments

• Charlie Marcus
    November 2019
    Charlie Marcus ·
    • Flag

My wife and I went to Thailand for 3 week for around $3500

good luck and best wishes

• Gee O. aka Happily Wifed Up
    Master June 2012
    Gee O. aka Happily Wifed Up ·
    • Flag

I thought some bride just posted her HM pictures in this place? Not sure, lemme search for it and see

• Cassidy
    Super September 2013
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag

Courtney H. posted. It has her honeymoon pictures too.

• Gee O. aka Happily Wifed Up
    Master June 2012
    Gee O. aka Happily Wifed Up ·
    • Flag

Http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/back-married-and-have-honeymoon-pix/72077761bc34f553.html

This is what i was talking about...same place? Hope it is and it helps.

• Carole M (a.k.a "old tart")
    Master October 2011
    Carole M (a.k.a "old tart") ·
    • Flag

Most of the adults only resorts I am going to talk about offer some type of comp honeymoon package.

Adults Only I Like - I am putting them in order of preference.

Secrets Maroma(top 10 beaches in the world)

Secrets Capri(Hacienda feel and smaller)

Secrets Silver Sands (a lot of pools but the beach is eh)

Cancun - The Vine(new resort and deals can be found big time)

Riviera Cancun - Nice property, but a bit dated

Playa Mujeres - Excellent roof top terrace suites

Mexico - IB Grand Paraiso

The Grands are part of the bigger mega resort. The one in Mexico is over the top in terms of elegance.

If you need any additional help, pm me.

We book our trips through Judy and Maria's Travels. http://jmtravel.com/\

They sell only Apple Vacations and do a lot of volume. Their guests are well received.

Master October 2011
    • Flag

We visit the Rivera Maya of Mexico yearly. With that kind of budge and in November, there are many possibilities.

We did a mini-moon to Secrets Silver Sands. Imho, many young couples getsucked into a Sandals or Couples resort. Imho, you get way more bang for your travel buck at other adults only resorts.

Since you are being married in November, your budget should get you great properties. I strongly recommend booking with a travel agent who does high volume in the resort of your choice and buy "Cancel for Any Reason" trip insurance(as in an Apple Vacation). Why high volume? High volume sellers have great relationships with reps at the resorts. This trickles down to better treatment.

Master October 2011
    • Flag

THere are many other adults only resorts. These are just a few of my favorites.

Actually, our favorite rsort is the Preferred Club section of Now Jade Riviera Maya. The rooms are one bedroom suites with a Jacuzzi on the balcony with an entrance from the bedroom. $3K will cover that with no problem

For any of the AM resorts: Secrets and Now, check out their FB pages. They have e concierges that answer quetions. I also recommend checking out Trip Advisor for pics, reviews and forums.

• Vanessa R.
    VIP February 2014
    Vanessa R. ·
    • Flag

Been twice both times for 7 days 8 nights....first time stayed at secrets maroma paid about $1550 a person (the other secret resorts are just as nice and are cheaper) we only stayed here because its usually about 2000 a person so couldnt pass this deal up. The 2nd time stayed at barcelo, not as nice as secrets but serves the purpose and paid around 1000 a person

and i second Carole the secret resorts are top notch

• Mrs.
    Super November 2012
    Mrs. ·
    • Flag

Cool thanks i was thinking of using this website i found cheapcaribbean.com it seemed pretty cheap i was just wondering what anyone else had paid so i could compare prices. 3k is what we have for the entire trip including excursions so im planing on finding something all inclusive and money left over to go see the mayan ruins and zip lining stuff like that im so excited!

• Mrs.
    Super November 2012
    Mrs. ·
    • Flag

Cool thanks i was thinking of using this website i found cheapcaribbean.com it seemed pretty cheap i was just wondering what anyone else had paid so i could compare prices. 3k is what we have for the entire trip including excursions so im planing on finding something all inclusive and money left over to go see the mayan ruins and zip lining stuff like that im so excited!

• JoAnna
    VIP June 2012
    JoAnna ·
    • Flag

We went in 2010 for vacay thru a travel agent who booked it thru Apple Vacations. We stayed @ Dreams Resort. Spent approx 2300 for all inclusive. We spent about $3000 total. Went to the ruins, went ziplining, got a couples massage. You will def have enough money if that's what you would like to do. We stayed for 7 days. It was AMAZING!!! On the 5th day he proposed Smiley smile You will LOVE it!! Good luck!

• Shannon S.
    Master March 2011
    Shannon S. ·
    • Flag

I like Secrets Capri, went there on vacation for a few years ago. There's a fantastic beach bar area - mmm, margaritas and tacos while looking at the ocean!

I second the recommendation for a travel agent, as they will be familiar with the properties. Also, booking online can be a mess - they don't always charge all the fees upfront, so you could be hit with hundreds of dollars in charges when you check out. A reputable agent costs nothing and will prevent that sort of situation.

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·
    • Flag

I've been to Playa del Carmen a few times, which is in that area. I LOOOVE it.

I'm not a resorts person - we usually book our own airfare which has historically been $300-400 each nonstop on Frontier from Denver to Cancun. We book a shuttle from Cancun to Playa which comes out to around $40/person. And then we check into a condo we've rented from VRBO which, at the splurgiest, usually comes to $1200 for the week. That leaves us around $1000 for the week for excursions, food, etc. Just another way to go about it.

Playa del Carmen is AMAZING. There are lots of expats and locals there, so it doesn't feel completely touristy, and there are some really great restaurants and beach front nightclubs.

Make sure you go swimming in a cenote when you're there, wherever you stay! One of the coolest things, ever.

• Tach
    Master July 2012
    Tach ·
    • Flag

I second Secrets Capri, that's where we went on our HM!! And we LOVED it!! The place is amazing, food and service are great I would go back in a heartbeat!

Also we paid around $3000 for air and 7 nights and insurance for two people coming out of Rochester, NY, we used a travel agent. I would highly recommend going through an agent, for us it was a huge help since we weren't renting a car and the hotel didn't provide airport shuttle.

Oh also they're all inclusive so all the food and alcohol is included Smiley smile

@Shannon- are these the tacos you're referring to? I'm pretty sure I had a slight obsession with them Smiley smile

Master October 2011
    • Flag

Ahh, Tach, you tease me with your photos!

If I close my eyes and click my feet, perhaps tomorrow it will be May and I will be at Now Jade.

Shannon....Didn't you do Excellence Playa Mujeres for your honeymoon?

• Tach
    Master July 2012
    Tach ·
    • Flag

Lol, Carole! Sometimes I just close my eyes and hope that when I open them I'll be sitting at their Japanese restaurant eating delicious plantain sushi or at the Taco Bar enjoying the Baja Fish Tacos (which I hate to admit I had almost every day we were there, lol)

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie to Mexico and all inclusives, this was our first time for both.

I'll be a fatty and show you what I'm talking about Smiley smile

Oh also, I LOVED their squid rings!! And I USED to HATE seafood! This trip changed my life in so many ways!!

• marriedlady
    Super September 2012
    marriedlady ·
    • Flag

Thanks to Carole, we stayed in the Preferred Club section of Now Jade. (Thanks Carole!) We LOVED IT!!!!

We stayed for 5 days and paid $1500 for air/transfer/resort for both of us including the insurance. We had a travel agent, but I didn't like the resorts and locations she was finding us. I did much better searching on my own. I booked this through Orbitz, everything was perfect!
    The excursion we took was to a park called XPlor. It was fantastic, ziplining, underwater caves you have to swim through, ones to raft through, and a dirt road you drive a jeep through. DH happened to post a couple pics on FB yesterday, so I have them for you here: That park was $140/pp which included the ride there/back and lunch.

Edit to say we flew out of Ft Lauderdale Florida, since you are comparing prices.

Master October 2011
    • Flag

Tach... Oh my! Thanks for sharing. Honestly, I know we are going to New England for our anniversary, but I really missed Now Jade this year.

Rebecca....I am so darn happy you loved it. I think it provides great bang for the travel buck. Thanks for posting the pics. Excellent.

Mrs. M... When I am not booking a special ocassion, I use online sites. I think you can get great prices. However, for special ocassions, I find it is better to book via an agent.

Shannon...Wow, what online sites have you used that charged you extra fees? We have used many and have never had an issue. I need to know which ones to avoid.

• Cara
    Expert April 2019
    Cara ·
    • Flag

Did anyone ever go to Rivera Maya is September ? How was the weather ? any issues

• Shannon S.
    Master March 2011
    Shannon S. ·
    • Flag

We did Excellence Playa Mujeres for the honeymoon, and Secrets Capri for a vacation while we were dating. I DREAM of those tacos.

I'm trying to dig up the Washington Post travel section article I saw a few weeks back about getting hit with extra fees at "all-inclusives"...gah. Google, don't fail me now!

Comment on this discussion