Jeanne
Master August 2015

Rain on Your Wedding Day? Umbrella Pics?

Jeanne, on August 18, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Posted in Planning 40

Right now, Saturday is forecast for cloudy, windy, with 60% chance of rain and potentially severe thunderstorms. Did anyone do umbrella pics for their wedding? Do you think I should buy umbrellas at this point or hope it's not raining when we go to do pictures? We do have indoor photo options as...

Right now, Saturday is forecast for cloudy, windy, with 60% chance of rain and potentially severe thunderstorms. Did anyone do umbrella pics for their wedding? Do you think I should buy umbrellas at this point or hope it's not raining when we go to do pictures? We do have indoor photo options as well so that's taken care of. If I do umbrellas, do you guys think the clear ones look better or uniform black? With the black ones, I was thinking maybe we could have a yellow one for us since we both were super into HIMYM. My photographer suggested at least one clear for couple pics of us. Give me your opinions, please!

40 Comments

• Kiri
    Expert September 2015
    Kiri ·

I still like yellow . It might add a bit of pop to the photo, especially if the ambiance will be gray due to the overcast!

Found this picture online, not the perfect example but I like the contrast it has with the bridesmaid's dresses. What are your wedding colors?

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·

We had rain and umbrella pics.

Ours were a light gray pattern, which I think turned out really nice in the black and white, b/c they really picked up the light. I think a gray or light blue solid umbrella will go with the outfits you posted in color pics, and will also be nice if your photog converts any to black and white.

• EatKnitRun
    Master May 2016
    EatKnitRun ·

Yellow or a shade of blue

• Joy
    Super August 2015
    Joy ·

I like idea of having both clear and black. Date twin, where are you getting married? The forecast for New Orleans is 60% chance of rain, scattered thunderstorms. I haven't even thought about umbrellas.

• Jade
    Master May 2016
    Jade ·

Oh I think the HIMYM yellow umbrella would me so cute!

Maybe you can get mostly blue ones then one yellow one, and maybe one of the clear ones for the cool pictures? lol I don't know how many umbrella's you're trying to buy

oh a side note: my mother has been insisting since we started planning on buying white umbrellas for the wedding "just in case"... please don't jinx me with rain a year out from my wedding mom!

• Jeanne
    Master August 2015
    Jeanne ·

Thanks for all the comments! We're getting married in Nebraska. Normally it is super hot and humid in August (like over 100 degrees with 100% humidity) and now they're talking about SNOW this weekend. It's super unlikely but this state has literally no predictable weather. Our colors are basically just white, blush, more white, and ivory with gold accents....super original right?

• Laura Marie
    VIP September 2015
    Laura Marie ·

I love the clear umbrellas, but I really, really LOVE the HIMYM idea.

Also I'd totally just go ahead and buy them, don't risk it!

• Jeanne
    Master August 2015
    Jeanne ·

Ok cool, I think I will. Now I just have to convince my fiancé it totally makes sense to buy $100 worth of umbrellas for pictures.

• KellySD
    VIP September 2015
    KellySD ·

I love the clear umbrellas - we just ordered one off Amazon just in case. If we don't use it for the wedding, I'll just use it in real life! Here's a photo from another wedding our photographer shot that I LOVE.

• kLo
    VIP August 2014
    kLo ·

At our wedding last summer it was hot alllllll summer, and of course had an 80% chance of rain (or something similar) on our wedding day. I bought umbrellas from Walmart to have on hand, luckily we didn't need them so I just returned them after. I would vote for buying some umbrellas from a store with a good return policy; it will give you comfort in the days leading up to your wedding and you can return them if not needed. Or else look at buying some used from people in your city (wedding swap and shop, etc). As for colour, my vote is based on the example photos and I much prefer the clear for reasons that the black reminds me of a funeral (like another poster said). Either way though you will love your photos because they are yours .

Side note- our wedding was at 3pm last year. It POURED until 1pm and then stopped. The venue set up everything inside and outside for us, and went outside with fans and dried everything off. The weather is something that is, sadly, out of your control, so the best that you can do is to prepare for it.

• Trisha
    Master August 2015
    Trisha ·

Ahhhh I didn't even think of this! Every other day the forecast is changing. Today it says it's just going to be windy but a couple days it's said it's supposed to rain Saturday. Frickin midwest.

• Future Mrs S
    VIP January 2016
    Future Mrs S ·

Something it appears a lot of us haven't even considered.

What if you did half and half....half clear and half in the yellow or another color? That way you had both options. In a photo with the whole BP you could alternate who gets what umbrella and do some photos with You and Your girls in opposite umbrellas, you in clear and them in color or vice versa. Would make for some really cute photos, i think.

• Jeanne
    Master August 2015
    Jeanne ·

Right?! Now it's showing 100% chance of rain Saturday night with scattered severe storms. I just want to see the hourly forecast already gahhhhh

• VWCat
    Master October 2015
    VWCat ·

Yes. I would suggest umbrellas. My photographer suggested that I buy umbrellas all in the same color and they should have the curved handle.

ETA: The curved handled umbrellas are called stick umbrellas if you're searching for them. Your wedding will be gorgeous either way!

• Autumn
    VIP October 2017
    Autumn ·

Personally, I would go with just about any color but black. Someone commented earlier that it reminds them of a funeral, and I couldn't agree more. My vote is definitely the clear ones, you can get some super cute shots with those

• Morgan
    Expert March 2016
    Morgan ·

I love the photos with the clear umbrellas, but the yellow for a HIMYM inspired photo would be sooooo cute. Almost makes me want it to drizzle a little bit on our day. I can already imagine it with a cute Ted Mosby quote.

• Flufflepuff
    Master June 2017
    Flufflepuff ·

@Morgan - That is the first thing I thought of! Soooo cute! Off topic, but DF actually purchased a yellow umbrella to pop the question but it didn't come in in time

OP: Good luck! Hope you don't encounter rain, but if you do, have fun with it!

• FutureMrsJohnson
    Super October 2015
    FutureMrsJohnson ·

I say go for it, but save your receipts and return them if you don't use them! I love HIMYM, so at least 1 yellow would be awesome!!

• RH
    Master November 2014
    RH ·

I like the solid color for umbrellas, something with a pop of color but not too much.

And rain on a wedding day always reminds me of Steve Holy's song "Holes in the Floor of Heaven".

• Laura Marie
    VIP September 2015
    Laura Marie ·

So I did a little searching and I love the plain clear one for just the bride/groom, but what if you added color with the bridal party's, if you are getting umbrellas for them? Something like this, if you can find them in a color that coordinates with the attire, it could be really pretty!

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Rain-Umbrella-Classic-Bubble/dp/B00BYG6PI0/ref=pd_sim_198_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1A4E7RN3RTA34E5YE0H0

Or you guys could do a clear one and have theirs a solid coordinating color..either way your wedding will be gorgeous!

Comment on this discussion