Sarah
Dedicated September 2015

Programs...?

Sarah, on August 13, 2015 at 7:35 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 32
Saved Save

I had decided on no programs, mostly because I didn't want to deal with designing/printing yet another thing. Now, my mom and FH have decided programs are a great idea. Mom just thinks they would be a nice thing, and FH thinks it will give people something to take home that has our names since our favors aren't personalized.

Thoughts? Did any of your guests take their programs home? Worth it to mess with at 6 weeks out?

32 Comments

• Kristina
    Master September 2016
    Kristina ·
    • Flag

I went to a wedding and I didnt even take the programs. Im not doing programs or favors. I personally feel they are a waste and the money could be used elsewhere.

• ALH
    VIP October 2016
    ALH ·
    • Flag

Honestly if your wedding is not super out of the ordinary or anything, I wouldn't worry about it. The guests will already know what to expect and most of them will just be thrown away afterwards.

• Tori
    VIP September 2015
    Tori ·
    • Flag

My mom did the same thing. She thinks we have to have them. 4 weeks out and I am designing programs gahhh

• Sarah
    Dedicated September 2015
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I'm thinking I may just hand this one off to FH. If he wants them, he can design them. =P

• alietta
    Expert March 2016
    alietta ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't, unless they are really cute or funny or nice, I wouldn't care that much about looking at it during the ceremony. And I definitely wouldn't keep someone else's wedding program as a memento.

• Autumn
    VIP October 2017
    Autumn ·
    • Flag

What i'm thinking about doing it making a big, cute chalkboard sign that's put in an area that everyone will see while walking to the ceremony location. that way we're all kind of on the same page, but not wasting a ton of money on something that'll be thrown away in 25 minutes

• allysia
    Master April 2016
    allysia ·
    • Flag

I'm having a program so that my side of the family can follow along with my hindu ceremony, we are also doing a barrat and milni ceremony beforehand and I don't want people to be totally confused as to the events taking place.

If your ceremony is straight forward you can go ahead and skip the programs. I don't think people don't really want to take home things with your name and date on it. To be honest I hate when I get favors that are personalized because as much as I love you I'm not going to be displaying something with your name and wedding date in my house.

• they/them pigeon
    VIP January 2016
    they/them pigeon ·
    • Flag

We're having programs because we're having a 40-minute Jewish ceremony and only one of our guests is Jewish, so none of them will know what's going on if we don't explain it somehow. They're really not necessary or useful if your guests will get the gist of your ceremony without them.

Could you have your FH & mom do a big chalkboard sign-style program with the wedding party's names and just display it at the entrance to the ceremony? That seems like less hassle but it might still satisfy them if they really have their hearts set on a program.

• Emily & Rob
    Dedicated November 2015
    Emily & Rob ·
    • Flag

I'm only doing it because we're having a daytime outdoor wedding in Florida and the programs will double as fans. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother.

• Sara STB Mrs. R
    Devoted August 2015
    Sara STB Mrs. R ·
    • Flag

We did programs since we are having a Catholic wedding. I just ordered them on Zazzle.com and they were super easy to do. They have templates and I just replaced the names and other ceremony items. I think we paid $36 for 100 which I felt we didn't need that many but FH wanted 100. FYI- Zazzle usually has a ton of coupons out there for percents off.

• annakay511
    Master July 2015
    annakay511 ·
    • Flag

No one takes programs home except the bride and the parents lol. That being said, I did programs because personally (as a guest) I like having something to read/look at and figure out who the bridal party is, and know the order of things. I made mine on word and had them printed at Staples for like $11

• S
    Expert September 2016
    Soon2B Mrs Shuey ·
    • Flag

I am going to have programs so they can also be used as fans. But because my FH and I are a little sarcastic and we technically don't need them, we are going to have a little fun with them. They will be very similar to the one in the picture.

• Andrea
    VIP September 2015
    Andrea ·
    • Flag

Our church is including them so we're having them

• Chloe
    Super October 2015
    Chloe ·
    • Flag

No programs here! Unless my grandma has a freak out about it, in which case she can do them! I just don't want to put the effort into it and our ceremony isn't out of the ordinary.

• Heather
    VIP October 2015
    Heather ·
    • Flag

I'm not having a program. We are having a straight forward wedding, so no explanations are needed.

• MichelleRM
    Devoted July 2016
    MichelleRM ·
    • Flag

So we're doing a program on our wedding website with the addresses of everywhere we'll be. We're providing transportation, but I thought it would be helpful to the guests. They can print it out or check on their phones. Or they can just follow the couple since it shouldn't be too difficult!

• MichelleRM
    Devoted July 2016
    MichelleRM ·
    • Flag

Actually, scrolling up through your comments, that's a great idea.Just have him design it, get nice paper, and print it yourself. It'll be cheap, it'll keep him busy, and it'll keep him happy

• MrsMcD
    Expert August 2015
    MrsMcD ·
    • Flag

The last 4 weddings I have gone to have had no programs. We aren't having programs either. I think they have their pros and cons. Its nice for the guests to know everyone names if they don't already and if its an outdoor wedding, it can be a nice fan. But, I think its more of a pain. Like you said, you have to print and design them. I really think its a wasted expense. I feel like most people just throw it out. Who needs one more than laying around their house?

• Rachel DellaPorte
    March 2020
    Rachel DellaPorte ·
    • Flag

Having returned to countless ceremony sites to repurpose floral pieces for the reception, I can tell you that I usually find programs sitting on the seats, on the floor, or in the hand of the venue guy who's picking them up and putting them in the trash. Sad, but true.

Moms love programs that feature their kids -- that's why your mom likes the idea. She would be one of the handful of people who would actually keep it. Besides those few people, they will be left behind. Even if people did keep them, at some point they end up in the garbage (if you're going to keep anything related to another person's wedding, it would be the invitation or the favor, not a program). I do agree with they/them pigeon -- if you are having a ceremony with cultural/religious elements that may be unfamiliar to a portion of your guests, a program is appreciated.

• Laura Marie
    VIP September 2015
    Laura Marie ·
    • Flag

I know people really just throw them away, but I was really excited about making them...and I really, really love reading them before the ceremony starts at other weddings, even if there isn't something out of the norm. I don't know why. I'm super weird and probably the oddball out but whatever.

I bought ours on etsy (They match our other paper stuff) and I intended on printing them myself, but at this point, I'm just in "screw it" mode and spent the extra money to have them printed. Everything I've printed myself has taken like 4 hours of trial and error and has been frustrating so...yes, I will gladly pay $100 to save me that headache.

ETA: Ours also has the address of our new home and it's where we're honoring our grandparents who have passed and the two that can't be there..and has a note on the back saying thanks. So. There's that.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics