A
Dedicated August 2018

Passports and birth certificates

Ashley, on July 6, 2018 at 1:36 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 11
Saved Save
So. I made a mistake. I sent out our birth certificates to get our passports for the honeymoon. But doing that we can't get our marriage license. What do I do?

11 Comments

• S
    Dedicated August 2018
    Sondra ·
    • Flag
    What state are you getting married in? We did the CA online application which needed info from the birth certificate and only needed our driver's licence when we went in to get our actual paper.
  • Slightly Off-Center
    Dedicated September 2019
    Slightly Off-Center ·
    • Flag

Or you can get certified copies of the birth certificates. Most states have online processes for that.

(And next time, don't mail out your birth certificates!!! I'd be terrified of them getting lost in the mail. Passport applications only need copies of your ID!)

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·
    • Flag

Usually you can get a copy from town hall for $10-20 bucks.

• Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev ·
    • Flag

Even though they say that the passport takes weeks to come in and the birth certificate is sent back after the fact, we got ours back only a week and a half after applying. You can't count on it, but there is a good chance you will have it back in time. You can pay extra to have it rushed, but honestly I wouldn't waste the money.

• A
    Dedicated August 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ohio. Both of us have to be present at the court house. With our state ID, birth certificate and SS card.
  • A
    Dedicated August 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Passports need your birth certificate. It needed the copy and the original.
  • Nemo
    VIP August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I had to mail my actual birth certificate when I applied for my passport.

• S
    Dedicated August 2018
  • muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

What county will you be married in? So far on just a quick look, neither Montgomery or Franklin County require birth certificates.

• G
    Devoted April 2020
    Grace ·
    • Flag
    In most states you can get a copy of your birth certificate at the DMV or in some states the health department. It's a very simple process. I've had to get a copy of mine before and it was a piece of cake. Just make sure you have your driver's license and social security card with you as proof of identity. When I got a copy of my birth certificate they asked for my driver's license and social security card. The copy of the birth certificate will be as valid as the original. Also your birth certificates should be sent back with your passports. Depending on what state your in you usually don't have to have your birth certificate when you get your marriage license as a driver's license and knowing your social is enough. Hope this helps.
  • rica
    VIP September 2018
    rica ·
    • Flag

I lost my birth certificate a few years ago and my mom was actually able to pick it up for me. I was definitely over 18 at the time and it was still very easy for her. It might just cost a few dollars.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics