Candi
Dedicated September 2022

Opinions on cupcake tier for wedding guests, not a cake!

Candi, on September 13, 2021 at 9:30 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 24
Saved
I’ve been to 2 weddings where cupcakes were given out instead. I am thinking about doing that with a small cake on top of tier for us to “cut the cake” we eat the cake as we feed each other too!
Any thoughts?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Fiona, on September 23, 2021 at 12:32 AM
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    My husband and I are doing that at our upcoming reception in 19 days. We got a smaller cake and ordered 7 dozen cupcakes for our guests.
  • Thinn
    Devoted September 2021
    Thinn ·
    • Flag
    I’m doing just cupcakes. Not even the top tier but I like the idea of different flavor cupcakes the guests can try out instead of just a cake so going with that
  • C
    Just Said Yes October 2023
    Cristina ·
    • Flag
    I kind of love this idea!
  • Candi
    Dedicated September 2022
    Candi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I do too! It was as super cool to see the 1st time and then I saw it again! They added the cake on top! I thought if I ever marry again.. I’d love that!
  • Candi
    Dedicated September 2022
    Candi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m glad it’s so trendy! I feel it’s just a safer bet.
  • Candi
    Dedicated September 2022
    Candi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    🙌🎉💝
    Congratulations! I’m so glad this is so trendy!
  • Krystina
    Dedicated October 2021
    Krystina ·
    • Flag

We're doing this, just not with a tiered stand. I went to a wedding once that had cupcakes and I thought it was a great idea, it gave guests a lot of choices for flavors.

• Nichole
    Devoted September 2022
    Nichole ·
    • Flag
    We are doing a small cake for my FH and I and then cupcakes for everyone else. Im planning on doing a small cupcake stand for picture reasons and then I found on amazon individual cupcake containers so I will put the rest of the cupcakes in those. It will make those nervous with covid feel safer and if a guest wants to take a cupcake home instead of eating it at the reception its already packaged for travel.
  • Janae
    Devoted September 2021
    Janae ·
    • Flag

Totally love this idea! We're doing a small cake for the purpose of cutting as well, and then a dessert table for the rest of our guests!

• Lauren
    Dedicated September 2022
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Hi, there! Former wedding coordinator for a cupcake bakery here; for fear of going too sales-pitchy on you, here are some of the "perks" I would outline with couples considering cupcakes vs cakes:

- Portion control! Cupcakes are already portioned out, everyone's getting the same size, no worries about a heavy-handed (or worse, too skimpy) caterer slicing up your cake! And as a PP mentioned, regarding wanting to be mindful with Covid, cupcakes are a natural solution to just grabbing your pre-portioned, individual dessert that cuts back on the amount of people who (probably) came into contact with it.

- Variety! It's easier to get a wider spread of flavors for your guests and everyone is bound to find a flavor they like. Get a dozen chocolate, a dozen vanilla, mix in some strawberry -- the freedom is all yours. A lot cupcake bakeries do some really yummy, fun flavors (the bakery I used to work for had cupcake flavors like S'Mores for an outdoor fall wedding, Peach Cobbler for a country-themed wedding, Coffee Cake for a brunch wedding, and even alcohol infused ones, like champagne and pomegranate swirl for a New Year's Eve wedding) that you could really WOW your guests with, too.

- Decor! I've seen a lot of gorgeous wedding cupcake displays, and not a single one was exactly like another. You can switch up and customize just about everything, from how the cupcakes are displayed, to the cupcake wrappers themselves (I had a bride getting married at a butterfly house, and she provided these gorgeous butterfly cupcake wrappers -- it was SO pretty!), to even the decor of the cupcakes themselves (rosette piping, pearl sprinkles, edible glitter, custom wedding toppers -- you name it).

- Easy transportation and easy clean up! Not everyone has their wedding cake delivered, and it always gave me a knot in the stomach to see family friends pull up and expect to try and maneuver a tiered cake into the backseat of their truck. Cupcakes are (generally) going to be boxed in sturdy, stackable boxes that anyone from the most experienced baker to someone's best friend's cousin twice removed can handle loading and unloading, as well as setting up for a cupcake display. At the end of the night, loading the cupcakes back up into boxes (our bakery even provided individual "to go" boxes for the couples' guests to take home any extras) is also a cinch -- and they make great late night snacks or a sweet, quick breakfast treat in the morning, too! ;]

I could go on and on, but I'll stop and I apologize if I went on too much! Almost all of the couples I worked with would do the top tier cake for cutting purposes (just like you mentioned!) and had a variety of cupcakes for their guests. While I am *clearly* biased, I think the cupcake idea is a fabulous one and I don't think you'd be disappointed going that route. :]

• Jacks
    Master September 2019
    Jacks ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow! Great advice given here. I came in to say cupcakes sound fun! lol, this poster did way better.

• Candi
    Dedicated September 2022
    Candi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Everyone loves a cupcake 💝
    Plus we’ll still have a tiny cake to cut!!!
  • Candi
    Dedicated September 2022
    Candi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi. Yes we thought all that through and noticed it at a few weddings. I am already in full mode to figure them out. But I’m doing it! Thank you!
  • Candi
    Dedicated September 2022
    Candi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes it’s also portion perfect and easily cleaned up! Makes for more smiles!
  • Candi
    Dedicated September 2022
    Candi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes.. I saw the cupcake boxes for guests. It’s a great idea!
    Amazon is amazing for a wedding!
  • Candi
    Dedicated September 2022
    Candi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes and with Covid and it helps control portions and not make a mistake. Keep everything in tact!
  • Amanda
    Just Said Yes May 2023
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    I love the Cupcake idea. It's so cute! You could even share a Cupcake instead of having an actual cake. Or if you want to cut an actual cake that's fine too. Either way I think it's a cute idea. I kind of like the idea of having a small cake tho too because it's like the small cake is something special just for you two.
  • Candi
    Dedicated September 2022
    Candi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I made up the idea of the small cake like a baby gets or topper to the wedding cake if I had one!
    Then we traditionally “cut the cake” have the pics. Yet we stand by a beautifully decorated stand of cupcakes. Amazon sells little cupcake boxes for guests who want to take theirs home. Or any extras.
    It looks super sweet too. And I mean very pretty!
  • Kristen
    Devoted October 2021
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

I think it sounds fabulous! I've been to weddings with a cupcake tower, and it was awesome. Portion control FTW! Originally we thought about doing it, but we opted for a regular cake instead.

• V
    Beginner September 2021
    Vanessa ·
    • Flag

Do it! While we didn’t do cupcakes as our main source of cake, we did have it as an option and it was nice because people who had to leave early or wanted dessert earlier just grabbed one as they got food (not my initial intention but ended up that way 🤷‍♀️ ). Plus cupcakes look super cute haha
    Opinions on cupcake tier for wedding guests, not a cake! 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics