We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

bridetobe27
Dedicated July 2015

Name change confusion

bridetobe27, on April 1, 2015 at 7:13 PM Posted in Married Life 0 9
Saved Save

I'm thinking about legally hyphenating my name. Going to do it on the marriage certificate. Then apparently I have to go to the SSA and get that done...which is fine. Problem is that I live across country for school from my home state so the next step (going to DMV physically and getting my name changed on license) is going to be near impossible--at least for 6months after the wedding.

Is this a problem?

My passport will have my maiden name until AFTER the honeymoon (tickets were issued under maiden name and don't want probs with TSA) and SSA will be informed of change as soon as I can.

But is there an issue with not having my license match my marriage certificate legal name? Or passport?

What if I waited to get SSA to change the name too? I just don't understand how urgently this needs to happen.

9 Comments

• Bethyonce
    Master February 2015
    Bethyonce ·
    • Flag

Is there a reason that you are not getting a DL in the state that you are currently living in for school? You just apply and bring your old DL, and new SS card.

• AndixLyn
    Master June 2015
    AndixLyn ·
    • Flag

The SSA would be the first time you sign the married name. The marriage certificate has to be signed with your legal name at that time and it won't be the married name. Double check with your state. But my gf messed that up and get marriage certificate wasn't issued because she signed the license with a (then) fake name.

As for 6 months I'd check that too. I was then hunk you're old I have 1 year ti change the name without issue but as soon as you start with SSA you have to follow up with DMV quickly so you may have time issues.

• bridetobe27
    Dedicated July 2015
    bridetobe27 ·
    • Flag

@beth: I'm only going to be in this state for another year so I don't see the point of changing my state residency only to have to change it again when I move.

@andixlyn: I thought the marriage license was when you could apply for a name change (...I'm soooo confused now)...

• Hiatus
    Super December 2014
    Hiatus ·
    • Flag

I think the only issue is if you wait until over 1 year after marriage. I think then they request additional documentation or explanation or some other nonsense.

It's all ridiculous.

You can only apply for the name change AFTER the marriage certificate is signed by the officiant & witnesses. You can't change your name when you're applying for the license since the reason for the name change hasn't occurred yet. It's beyond confusing.

• Hiatus
    Super December 2014
    Hiatus ·
    • Flag

Ps: SSA must be changed before you change your name on your license. AND you can't do them both on the same day. I went to SSA first, then the next day I was able to change my name legally.

Personally, I wouldn't hyphen my name, that will make legal documentation down the road, really tedious! I have my given middle/last as my middle name, and my married last name as my last name. So yes, I have a 4 word name, and I'm perfectly fine with that (this is my 2nd marriage, and I regretted not keeping my WHOLE name in my 1st mistake - lol)

• purplekitten
    Master October 2015
    purplekitten ·
    • Flag

From a legal perspective, if you live in a state for more than 30 days, you're supposed to get your drivers license changed to there.

• Jen W
    VIP April 2015
    Jen W ·
    • Flag

If she's in the state for school you don't have to get your license changed. I lived in PA for 3 years before I changed my License from Texas to PA all because I was in school.

• Samantha
    Master May 2013
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

The marriage certificate should have your maiden name. Just wait to change your name legally (both social security card and license) until you are back in your home state. I waited around 6 months to change mine. It was fine.

• Sarahdell
    Master October 2014
    Sarahdell ·
    • Flag

@OP - the marriage license is not an application for a name change. It is only a certificate of marriage.

"The marriage certificate has to be signed with your legal name at that time and it won't be the married name. Double check with your state."

This is true (what Andi said). It varies state by state. When you get your license at the County Clerk they will tell you how to sign it. I am in Michigan and they require you to sign with your new name - the name you intend to use from the marriage date forward. Just make sure you ask when you pick up your license and they will be able to tell you.

There is no rush to complete the name change paperwork. Some people wait a year or more to actually change their name. If you have to wait 6 months until you get back home there is no issue.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles