Celeste
Just Said Yes November 2022

Long Engagements....?

Celeste , on November 11, 2019 at 7:03 PM Posted in Planning 1 65
Saved Save

Hello Herd,

I'm new to the site as I just got engaged on November 5th, 2019. I am so super eager to get started on planning.

My Fiance and I are planning on having a long engagement. We chose our date for November 5th, 2022. I wanted to get other people's opinions on having a long engagement. Is three years considered long? How early is too early to beginning planning and booking vendors. Would love to hear any words or advice or inspirations on just about anything when it comes to planning a wedding. Thanks in advance!

65 Comments

• M
    Expert September 2020
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    Three years is a long engagement in my opinion, but I think you should definitely do whatever works best for you.

I think you could book a venue 1.5-2 years early. Some other vendors you could probably wait on unless you want something very popular.
  • Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

It does seem a bit long, but it's whatever is best for the two of you! Our engagement was just shy of two years when we got married. I started some planning the day after he proposed though lol. I created my Pinterest board and found this site around the same time. This site has been the best resource for me, not just for wedding things, but for support. Congratulations!!!

• Kathryn
    Devoted April 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    We're having a 7 month engagement, and tbh it's been a bit of a planning nightmare because of how things are booked already! We did manage to get a venue, but the one we looked at books two years in advance. I would start researching places now, as well as photographers. Love ours, but we went through a few that were already booked! Working on the dj now, fingers crossed. A longer engagement would allow you to take more time, but the two of us are just ready to be married. So we're ok with a bit of running around.
  • Celeste
    Celeste ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks for the tip!

• Celeste
    Celeste ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I thought venues for sure, but not photographers. Thanks for the advice!

Also, good luck with the rest of your planning!

• Kathryn
    Devoted April 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah, photographers book a ways out. Those and the venue are the major ones to knock out first.
  • Emerald
    Just Said Yes February 2022
    Emerald ·
    • Flag
    I think it’s a perfect amount of time for you to perfect everything you want. We are not getting married until February of 2022 because that gives us time to book the venue before anyone else, lose weight if we have to (lol) and since it’s a destination wedding, it gives my guests time to prepare as well.
  • Kristen
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    We will have been engaged for 3 years and 5 months at our wedding. We're at the tail end of that, getting married in August 2020. And I can tell you from experience, just do whatever is right for you guys. We've had about 3 dates picked before we settled on this one and finally booked things. Life happens sometimes and we're glad we ended up pushing the wedding until now.
  • Caitlin
    Dedicated September 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    Celeste, I am in a long enagement as well (Sept 2021) and when we started looking last month our preferred date was already taken at our venue. Definitely book as soon as you can if you have your heart on a specific place.
  • Cristina
    Dedicated December 2021
    Cristina ·
    • Flag
    I currently have my date set for 2021, but after looking at things a little closer and how much time I’ll have to lose weight, save and budget I feel pushing it out further might be best. When we went to visit venues they explained that they were already booking for 2022. Weddings can get very expensive, especially when family has to travel so if you need a long engagement and you are both happy with it, I would definitely second guess it.
  • Ashley
    Devoted October 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

I'm halfway through a 2 year engagement, and I thought that was long lol I started booking things immediately. The earlier the better in my opinion. You'll get prime pickings now compared to two years from now!

Congrats by the way!

• Anna
    Rockstar June 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    Hey there! And welcome!
    My engagement will be one year and four months at the time of my wedding.

I got a lot of comments about how "long" that was. But, I'm of a mind to each his own.

We knew we had to save money and I'm a planner. I love having things to look forward to.

With that being said, look back on the last three years of your life.... Isn't it amazing how fast it went by?

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, your engagement can be as short , or as long as you would like.

I'm much older than you, or mine may have been even longer.

I say definitely book your venue and photographer as mentioned. We booked our Honeymoon in advance as well.

We are making monthly payments on our venue and putting the rest in savings , so that we can pay everything off by June.

Don't worry, "All good things, come to those that wait" enjoy this time, it will be gone, before you know itSmiley smile

Congratulations!
  • Jillian
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    Jillian ·
    • Flag
    Hi Celeste, congratulations! I also have a fairly long engagement- got engaged August 2018 and will be getting married October 2020. I’ve loved having a longer engagement because it has given us time to save and enjoy the process without getting so stressed out! We booked our venue two years out. Hope this helps, happy planning!
  • Lisa Marie
    Devoted October 2020
    Lisa Marie ·
    • Flag
    We were together for about 5.5 years before getting engaged. We always knew we’d get married but we just took our time. We got engaged in April 2017, booked our venue in March 2019 and are getting married in October 2020. The primary reasons for the long engagement is FH changed jobs shortly after we got engaged, then we moved then he changed jobs again. We wanted to make sure his employment was steady before making an huge decisions. Most engagements are a year or so but do whatever works best for you!
  • K
    Savvy November 2020
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    Fist off congratulations from one bride to be to another I got engaged on October 7, 2018 i knew i wanted a long engagement since me and him would be paying for it ourselves ours will be a two year engagement Nov 8, 2020 so don't let anyone tell you its a long or why don't you just go a do it already do it on y'all time enjoy being engaged and be happy first and for most make sure you put each others first it's y'all day congrats and happy planning
  • I
    Dedicated December 2019
    isabel1115 ·
    • Flag

It's long but whatever works for you! If I were to do it over and have a long engagement, I would spend several months researching, looking at vendors and not booking anything! There's so many things I'd do differently in hindsight. Enjoy the flexibility you have right now!

• Eri
    Expert October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag
    Congratulations! As PPs mentioned, do whatever is right for you.

We started dating in 2015, got engaged in August of 2018, and have our wedding set for October 2020.

I’ve enjoyed having a two-year engagement. I feel like we’ve had time to comfortably plan while still enjoying this new part of our relationship. I honestly haven’t been super stressed and have had my pick of vendors.

Venue, photographer, and DJ would be my picks to book first — though some may not book 3 years out. I got most of my big vendors locked in last year, and just recently booked my florist and hair/makeup.

Good luck, and have fun!
  • Izzy
    Devoted April 2021
    Izzy ·
    • Flag
    3 years is pretty long, my FH and I will have been engaged just about 2 years by the time of our wedding. We also deliberately chose a long engagement so it wouldn’t be stressful and we are loving the planning so far! No harm in researching vendors and venues and what you want, but I would wait until 1.5-2 years out to even think about booking them. Your mind or circumstances could change! Mine sure have so far throughout planning
  • Erika
    Devoted April 2021
    Erika ·
    • Flag
    We went from getting married on April 2020 then changed it to April 2021. Main reasonSmiley shame$$$$

We decided to extend our engagement so we can invite more than just our families.

Start looking for a venue right away. We were super confident that our top pick for venue would be avail since it's not until 2021. Unfortunately we were told they're already booked for 4/24/21 😢
  • Amber
    Savvy January 2022
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged in July and our planning our wedding for January of 2022. I spent a couple of months researching ideas and am now starting to contact venues and set up appointments. We’re hoping to get something booked by the end of January, because we’re hoping for a specific date. I would start researching venues and try to book something around the 2 year mark. You need a set venue and date before you can plan much else. The longer engagement allows us to save more and spread out payments. I’m also watching for clearance items and sales and buying anything I will probably use. Also trying to get started on some diy projects so that it’s not as stressful as the date approaches. I’m planning on getting photographer and dj booked and start dress shopping before the end of next year.

Comment on this discussion