We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Katharine
Savvy April 2021

July 2020 Weddings

Katharine, on March 16, 2020 at 10:05 AM

Posted in Community Conversations 327

July 18 2020- Do you think its all going to be ok by then?

July 18 2020- Do you think its all going to be ok by then?

327 Comments

  • S
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My wedding date is July 4th I have talked to David’s bridal where I’m getting my dress from and they don’t know if my dress or bridal party dresses will come in on time. So at this point idk what to do, because they won’t open back up until mid April.
    • Reply
  • Katharine
    Savvy April 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag
    We’ve made the announcement. We’re postponed. This hurts so much. I am devastated.
    • Reply
  • Brie
    Savvy July 2021
    Brie ·
    • Flag

    We're July 18th too, and as of right now we're moving forward as planned. We can't postpone until our venue does. But we did do something a little different. We're not ready to order or send out our formal invitations yet. But we also don't want to leave our guests wondering what our plans are surrounding the outbreak. So we just ordered a "Wedding Update" card...kind of like another Save The Date, but this has a message and update from us, and we're directing them to our website. (We didn't have the website ready when we did the save the dates). While we wait to see what happens, they can refer to our website for the events timeline, travel info and advice, RSVP if they want, make connections with other travelers, etc. We live in Alaska, so most of our guests are traveling from the lower 48. Then when/if we know July is a definite go, we'll send formal invitations. If not, then at least they know most of the info while we wait.

    The Wedding Update cards were an extra step, but it's decreasing my anxiety surrounding invite timelines and being able to communicate with our guests as we move forward. The money was worth it for me.

    • Reply
  • Sasha
    Dedicated September 2021
    Sasha ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is July 3rd, 2020 in Westchester, NY and 1/4 of our guests are flying in from out of town and internationally. At this point I’m throwing in the towel and postponing tomorrow. The climate right now even if things get better by May isn’t of joy and happiness, but rather fear and sadness. I do not want to have our wedding under these conditions. I foresee too many cancellations and don’t want to put my loved ones health at risk. I am devastated, but it’s the right thing to do.
    • Reply
  • J
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jakia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Katherine, I know how you feel. My wedding is set for July 25, 2020. While I’m up on the fence a little our venue and my wedding planner both feel confident about our date. Both of them advised us to wait until May to make a decision. May I ask what made you and your FH decide to postpone? What date did you postpone to?
    • Reply
  • N
    Savvy July 2021
    Nadesdye ·
    • Flag

    We are July 25th as well. We are having 50 people, but even that seems large. We have contacted the vendors and waiting to see what they say. We are going to wait through April to make a final decision; however, we have a plan B: legally getting married on July 25 of this year and changing date until 1 year anniversary to have the ceremony and reception as planned. We both are okay with this. My one concern is my father who really is looking forward to giving me away. I will need to speak with him about this plan B.

    We don't know how this is going to go.


    Stay safe

    • Reply
  • Reena
    Devoted February 2021
    Reena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Have you and your fiancé decided on another date? Our wedding is July 25th. I am such a planner. I wouldn’t even know when to rebook it. That’s my main struggle for now.
    • Reply
  • Katharine
    Savvy April 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    We're in that process now, we're lucky in that my job requires a lot of event planning and i am use to moving things around so I am going to list the steps we've taken.

    1) Make the final decision. 85% of our guest are out of state/country, we didn't have a choice with travel bans in place as we're in the epicenter, Manhattan. No one is going to feel ok to come. So sit with your partner and a bottle of wine, talk, cry and wallow in it. This is an ambiguous loss, we're mourning the death of our July 18th 2020 wedding dream. It's devastating.

    2)Call all the vendors, start with your most expensive (for us that was a venue that included catering). Then work your way down to the cheapest vendor (Make up + Hair was mine.) Everyone seems to be ok with moving to another date but please double check with everyone as our original contracts said that we couldn't change our date but due to this crisis everyone is making an exception.

    3) Get all the dates for late 2020/2021 that your venue has available. We personally don't feel comfortable with anything before mid-november. (I will not go through this process again!!!)

    4) Once you have all the dates, sit with your partner and pick about six new dates that you and your partner are okay with. Take these dates to your parents/best friends/bridal/groom party (the people that you CANNOT get married without!) and make sure they don't have other weddings/commitments set.

    5)Then create an email and CC all the other vendors with the list of 6 dates and ask each vendor to let you know which date they CAN NOT do. This will definitely eliminate a few for you.

    6) Once a date is selected, feel free to make a social media post/paperless post communication to let guest know. We decided after spending 5k between save the dates/invitations we will NOT be sending another save the date. We need to save money at this point!


    I hope this has been helpful if you have any questions please let me know


    best,


    Katharine

    • Reply
  • Reena
    Devoted February 2021
    Reena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! That was helpful.


    Majority of our guest are local or within driving distance. We are also not in a major hot spot at the moment. My fiancé and I have discussed postponing. We are waiting until we hopefully have a clearer direction within the next month or two.
    We didn’t send out save the dates. We wanted to scale down the guest list, but didn’t know how before all of this. Even if we still get to get married in July I think our guest list will definitely be cut.
    Virtual hugs. We will all get through this.

    • Reply
  • Courtney
    Expert July 2020
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Did businesses in your area say they will reopen in June? My fitting was supposed to be in March with Davids bridal but they are reopening in April as of currently. I'm in Florida.
    • Reply
  • Sasha
    Dedicated September 2021
    Sasha ·
    • Flag
    We are July 3rd, just called the venue to postpone for 2021. Waiting to hear back with date choices. This sucks!
    • Reply
  • Teresa
    Devoted September 2020
    Teresa ·
    • Flag
    It's hard to tell but according to a lot of doctors they dont forsee this getting any better until fall. I hope they are wrong & we can get back to normal soon. China & Italy are doing better now but that's because their countries enforced the rules so much more to entirely lockdown but the US still has states that are not in lockdown & who knows if that may prolong us & having to deal with this a lot longer.
    • Reply
  • Chelsea
    Beginner July 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Totally understand! My fiancé’s family and friends were traveling from Lebanon, France and Australia. My family is out of state. Even if we kept our wedding on 7/11, people would have been fearful still especially our elderly guests. It’s not fair to put anyone at risk and expect people to feel comfortable flying. It was such a hard decision and I’m heartbroken about it, but we will still have our special day when this is all over!
    • Reply
  • Chelsea
    Beginner July 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    So glad I’m not the only one. We are in a similar position with a large number of international guests! Just made the call two days ago, still feeling heartbroken. We had to push out an entire year, but I know it was the right thing to do!
    • Reply
  • Katharine
    Savvy April 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It is definitely a selfless act! Our guest thanked us
    And already committed to the new date (04/23/2021) to give us all something to look forward to we upgraded the bachelorette party. I am from New York and originally we were just going to go to the beach for a long weekend the week before and now we’re planning to go to Bilbao,Spain in November/December has that’s where I lived during my gap year after college. Turning lemons to lemonade ☺️
    • Reply
  • S
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes they say by fall we should be a bit back to normal again, but who really knows. China is doing a bit better, Italy not so much they continue to have deaths daily. It’s sad just gotta keep praying for all this to go away very soon.
    • Reply
  • Sasha
    Dedicated September 2021
    Sasha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for your support! Same here fiancés family and friends are traveling in from Morocco, France, UK, Spain and Dubai. His parents visa appointment was canceled until further notice and other family members including groomsmen said they couldn’t make it. Not to mention still not clear if my gown would come in on time. Even pré-corona I was quoted mid-May. Just not worth the stress and risk. Thank you for sharing and best of luck to you!
    • Reply
  • S
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My wedding is 4th of July, but my fitting was in early March and David’s bridal also has to reschedule me because they might not open until April or early May and I’m in California. Definitely a reason for us to postpone
    • Reply
  • Courtney
    Expert July 2020
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ohh okay well hopefully everything works out in your favor!
    • Reply
  • Chelsea
    Beginner July 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Best of luck to you too! I had similar concerns about my dress too. I bought my dress through a Nordstrom trunk show. It is in but is currently sitting at Nordstrom’s and I can only pick up through curb side. I was supposed to start alterations on 4/11 at Nordstrom’s through the alteration department but they are closed nationwide. No where else is open currently to get them done elsewhere. Crazy times, but we just have to make the best out of it!
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×