er.jhj2014
VIP August 2014

Is there ever such thing as too much food?....

er.jhj2014, on July 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM Posted in Planning 0 15
Saved Save

So in the past at weddings I’ve found after the dinner there’s nothing really else to eat other than cake; which typically I’m not a big cake person (unless it's speciality flavors). So I’m having a plated dinner and was wondering if later on in the night it would be weird/tacky to have some snack trays such as cheese & crackers, vegetables & dip, fruit & dip, and taco dip & nachos. Plus what amount would be acceptable to have?

15 Comments

• ForeverMyLove
    Master December 2014
    ForeverMyLove ·

I don't think you can have too much food. The menu you are considering sounds good to me. As far as the amount, if it were me, I would have enough for all guests to partake. If there's leftovers, let your guests take it.

• J&B
    Master September 2013
    J&B ·

A lot of places do "late night snacks" now. If you think your crowd will want the food -- go for it.

• Tiffany
    VIP May 2017
    Tiffany ·

Nothing wrong with the snack foods! I think it's a great idea. If you have left overs, get them to pile you a plate full for you and your husband to snack on later on. A lot of times the bride is so busy at the reception that she doesn't get a chance to eat.

• Celia Milton
    October 2019
    Celia Milton ·

It depends on whether you're having an extensive cocktail hour or not. Later in the night you might do a munchie bar (popcorn, cookies, etc) but I do think it's possible to have too much food. Maybe shift some of your cocktail hour food to the end instead.

• er.jhj2014
    VIP August 2014
    er.jhj2014 ·

In our location cocktail hours are basically unheard of, so I will not be having one. So this choice just seems to make more sense to me overall.

@ Samantha Renee I'm the same way it's not the alcohol that would keep me somewhere, it's being able to eat!

• Annie
    VIP March 2014
    Annie ·

We are having a cocktail hour, buffet dinner and late night snacks (sliders, fries and cheese quesadillas. Our venue told us that was a lot of food and probably didn't need the late night snacks, but I have a lot of friends my age coming and boy can they eat. I know the older folks will enjoy the cocktail hour but I think the younger people will like the late night snacks. So what the heck, I'm going with it.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·

I think for a guest, there's never too much food. For the person paying for it, maybe. I love the idea of late night snacks, but I'd be pissed if I paid for it and it wasn't eaten. We're going to do some cookies and such later in the night though. Venue is letting us bring them.

• BoatBride2014
    Devoted June 2014
    BoatBride2014 ·

It's never too much food . As mentioned above you could always have late night snacks.We are doing something similar when the bar and dance floor opens up.

• MrsO
    Master May 2012
    MrsO ·

The only weddings that I have felt like had too much food were ones that had very excessive cocktail hours... I'm talking multiple hot food stations, the stationary apps like fruits, veggies, cheese and crackers, and then 10 different hot hors d'oeuvre being passed around too. So much food that by the time you get to your meal, you don't have an appetite for it and are wasting your plate.

I think late night snacks are a great idea to have though, especially for the person who wants some extra energy for the dance floor but doesn't have a big sweet tooth.

• MJ
    Master June 2013
    MJ ·

We actually kept our hot and cold food bars open all night until the dancing was done. People loved being able to go for a snack or two.

• Tiffany M. ( Tiffany P.)
    Master August 2012
    Tiffany M. ( Tiffany P.) ·

We had an Italian style cocktail hour with meats, cheeses, breads, crackers, etc then had a 3 course plated dinner, ice cream wedding cake and then a late night snack of smokies and fruit platter. Our guests ate everything. Our caterer never seen so many people indulge in the late night snack.

Also have seen others do late night pizza or build your own sandwiches.

• Lulu
    Devoted August 2013
    Lulu ·

We are doing a cocktail hour of fresh fruit and spinach n artichoke dip then a three course dinner with salad and two late night snack which will be mozzarella sticks and cheese quesadillas. The late night snacks came with my package, but the venue requires it if u r serving an open bar of 4 hours or more. Makes sense to me!!

• FinallyDoingIt
    Master July 2014
    FinallyDoingIt ·

Late night snacks are awesome.

• MrsC
    VIP January 2014
    MrsC ·

I think snacks later would be awesome.

• er.jhj2014
    VIP August 2014
    er.jhj2014 ·

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to for sure do snacks now.

Comment on this discussion