Autumn
Savvy November 2019

Ireland Advice

Autumn, on January 2, 2019 at 2:05 AM Posted in Honeymoon 0 12
Saved Save
Hello! So my fiancé and I have decided that we would like to honeymoonnin Ireland. Our wedding is 11/01/2019 so I’m trying to get some preliminary advice so that I can start booking within the next couple of months. My questions are:

1. How much should We budget to spend?

2. What should we see?

3. What cities should we visit?

4. Did you go through a company or solo when booking?

5. How long did you stay?

6. Where did you stay?

I appreciate any advice whether you have been or are planning to go. Thank you so much!

12 Comments

• KiwiDerbyBride
    Super May 2015
    KiwiDerbyBride ·
    • Flag
    I spent a couple of weeks driving around Ireland with my best friend. Beautiful country - I loved Killarney, the Ring of Kerry, Galway and the Cliffs of Moher. Do be aware that in November it will be cold and probably rainy, plus it’ll be dark very early as well.
  • Alexandra
    VIP June 2019
    Alexandra ·
    • Flag

I went to Ireland with my parents a few years ago. I second KiwiDerbyBride's recommendations of Killarney, the Ring of Kerry, and the Cliffs of Moher. Dublin is also worthwhile for a day or two - we loved the Guinness Storehouse. We were in Ireland for one week and that was plenty of time for us. Biggest tips: rent a car so you can see the countryside much easier and try to stay in a castle hotel Smiley smile

• Mrs. H
    Rockstar September 2019
    Mrs. H ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I literally had the same experience and highly second all of her recommendations! Cliffs of Moher was hands-down, my favorite.

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

Ooh, I love Ireland! I went in the summer with my family when I was younger and it rained everyday, which I expected, but it never hindered our fun. I agree with all the places everyone else said you should visit. Try and visit Dingle if you can! It's along the Ring of Kerry and it's such a fun town with a dolphin in the bay.

And potentially unpopular opinion, but also try and make some time for the Blarney Stone and Castle. It's a bit touristy, but it's really fun to say you did that and there is so much more on the ground to explore. Smiley smile

• Autumn
    Savvy November 2019
    Autumn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Did you go solo or book through a company?
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    • Flag
    I went to Ireland in November 2003 with my family. It was rainy and dark a little but we also had a lot of sunny days and not too cold. We spent a few days in Dublin, went to the symphony, flew to Edinburgh for a day and spent the night at Dalhousie Castle. Then drove around the countryside and visited County Cork and Waterford. One of the best weeks of my whole life and I wish I could go back one day.
  • M
    Beginner November 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    My fiancé and I just went to Ireland for 1 week this past November! We went from Nov 10th-17th! We did not rent a car and honestly unless you have experience driving on the other side of the road, don’t do it and add stress to yourself! Super tiny country roads, you’ll spend more time staring at the road than the beautiful countryside. Just stay in the city centers or within walking distance of the city centers and no need for a car! We flew into Dublin, took the train to Galway for 2 days, (took a bus trip to Cliffs of Moher & the Burren) then took a local bus to Killarney for 2 days. We could plan to make stops at different places via the trains or local bus so no need for a car! We stayed at Air BnBs in all places and in Killarney stayed at a lovely women’s house. She picked us up from the bus station and had bikes to let us use to explore the area, which was why we picked her place! Then we ended with a train back to Dublin for 2 days. November weather was fine, it was rainy but only little showers here and there and just 1 day that it rained the entire time, other days it was sunny. The rain in Nov is why they call it Rainbow season though!! Temp was on the 50s all week. We are from the northeast though so it was typical weather to what we were used to! It was so easy to get around there! We planned everything on our own and traveled when & where we wanted to. But I have had several friends who have done trips through companies and they helped us plan our trip and gave suggestions.
  • Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·
    • Flag

My fiance and I are also planning to honeymoon in Ireland and my family is Irish, so perhaps I can shed some light on the subject for you, but I have a few questions to help narrow down some options for you.

1. I'd say a bare minimum of $2,000. If you are a AAA member, they have vacation packages to Ireland starting at just under $2,000. This includes flight, hotel, and car rental. Of course, you'll want to budget some more for food, souvenirs, etc.
    2. What are your personal interests? Do you like museums? Natural sites? Historical or more on the entertaining side?

3. Again, this depends on your interests as a couple. If you don't mind crowds and like the hustle and bustle of cities, than obviously Dublin would be a great starting place. We are starting there and then heading out to my family's home county of Donegal. Keep in mind that the northwestern portion of the country is considered the "Gaeltacht" meaning that Irish is the primarily language opposed to English. So if you don't speak the language, you could find yourself getting lost on rural roads where the signage may only be in Irish. Galway bay is a great place to visit if you love seaside locales and seafood.

4. 9/10 you're going to get a better deal going through a travel agency. Travel agents typically get deep discounts on flights, hotels, etc. so they can put together a package that will save you a significant amount as opposed to doing it all yourself.

5. The length of your stay really depends on your budget and how much you want to see. We're aiming for just a little over a week, which gives us plenty of time to see all we want to see. Keep in mind that the entire island of Ireland is about the size of Ohio (actually, a bit smaller).

• KiwiDerbyBride
    Super May 2015
    KiwiDerbyBride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Solo - she was living in Dublin and had a car so we took that. We stayed in hostels (it was a few years ago!) and didn’t book more than a couple of days ahead so we were pretty flexible. I also meant to say that Glendalough is worth a visit too if you’re into history.
  • Alicia
    Beginner June 2020
    Alicia ·
    • Flag

Agree, it is always better to go through a travel agent because they can maximize your budget, provide guidance, let you know what you can and cannot do with your budget, and generally be there should anything go wrong. You dont want to be in another country when youre about to miss your connecting flight and have no one to turn to. Contrary to popular belief, travel agents typically do not charge planning fees so its not more expensive to use an agent.

I'm happy to answer anyone's questions, I'm a pretty extensive traveller myself having visited 33 countries. Your honeymoon is the time you want to make sure you have all your bases covered!

• IrishBride
    Savvy May 2019
    IrishBride ·
    • Flag

Hi Autumn, I am getting married in Ireland (and honeymooning in Northern Ireland), and this website has been fabulous: https://tinyurl.com/irelandroadtrips

Hope it helps.

• fiona
    Just Said Yes April 2014
    fiona ·
    • Flag

Hey Autumn,

Congrats on your wedding Smiley smile Love that you're planning to honeymoon in Ireland. I'm based in Galway and can honestly say its such a beautiful county to live in. The cliffs of moher are really stunning and a popular spot for a lot of my engagement/honeymoon/elopement photo shoots. I'd definitely recommend visiting while you're here. also the ring of kerry is glorious too!!!

Few pics attached to help you visualise Smiley heart have an amazing time!!!!

ps - wrap up warm, the cliffs are windy as hell!

cliffsIreland Advice 1cliffsIreland Advice 2cliffsIreland Advice 3cliffsIreland Advice 4cliffsIreland Advice 5cliffsIreland Advice 6cliffsIreland Advice 7cliffs at sunsetIreland Advice 8

cliffsIreland Advice 9cliffsIreland Advice 10cliffsIreland Advice 11cliffsIreland Advice 12

cliffsIreland Advice 13cliffsIreland Advice 14cliffsIreland Advice 15cliffsIreland Advice 16cliffsIreland Advice 17

cliffsIreland Advice 18

cliffsIreland Advice 19cliffsIreland Advice 20cliffsIreland Advice 21cliffsIreland Advice 22cliffsIreland Advice 23cliffsIreland Advice 24cliffsIreland Advice 25

Comment on this discussion