We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Rachel
Dedicated September 2020

i do/i don’t

Rachel, on December 18, 2019 at 4:54 PM Posted in Family and Relationships 1 66
Saved Save
How many times have you and your significant other broken up before the wedding? Asking for a friend. Really not really. 🤦🏽‍♀️🙄

66 Comments

Latest activity by Stevie, on December 22, 2019 at 8:38 PM
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

Exactly zero times.

• Rhianna
    Devoted April 2020
    Rhianna ·
    • Flag
    Zero. Have you considered postponing until you're both ready?
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    Approximately 0.
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag

We haven't broken up at all since we've been dating. We've gotten into huge arguments in the beginning when we were first dating, but since then it's been smooth sailing

• Ashley
    Expert November 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

We've never broken up at any point in our relationship of nearly 5 years. I would suggest talking things through; nothing wrong with holding off on the wedding until you're both ready to commit to each other for a lifetime.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

Never, we haven't broken up at all during our relationship.

• Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    We have never broken up at all in our relationship. There have been a couple times and he was still stop make sure that you're on the Hage in regards to where this relationship is going but luckily the outcome was positive. I would say before you make a legal commitment and spend any money even if it's just for the marriage license really sit down and make sure you two are on the same page because divorces cost money
  • Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Zero times in 8 years.

• Shamaree
    Dedicated February 2020
    Shamaree ·
    • Flag
    Our relationship hasn’t been traditional. We were unofficial for a long while (years), got together, broke up and then got back together a year later. We had a lot of stuff to address as individuals first. But we’ve been together over 3 years at this point with no breaks. There’s nothing wrong with breakups if you both have done the work to grow and fix any issues within the relationship. However if we’d been breaking up more recently I think I’d wait until we had more time before getting married.
  • Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

Hmmm, let me think. Zero! If it was any more than that, there would be no wedding before counseling.

• Canadiangal
    Dedicated August 2020
    Canadiangal ·
    • Flag
    I broke up with him twice in the first 8 months of dating. It was for 2 days both times. My relationship with my FH is the only relationship I've ever been in so I was scared. It's all worked out now although, I know that we're great together so it hasn't happened since those first few months
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Never. Not once. If we had, we likely would not have got married.

• Jennifer
    Devoted September 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    None. We are first and foremost, partners in everything. We talk any and everything out in a supportive, sensitive, and judgement-free way and we are continually working on being better for ourselves and each other. Relationships are hard and require work. I'd agree with PPs that if you're breaking up recently, maybe you two should hold off on the wedding until you're really ready. Couples counseling is a really great resource too. Good luck!
  • Mrs. S
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    We broke up after our first year dating. We got back together six months later stronger than ever. It’s now 3 years later. Yea, a lot of people have had no bumps in their relationship and that’s nice. But it happens sometimes and you can recover if both people are part of the solution.
  • J
    Dedicated June 2021
    Jasmyn ·
    • Flag

Zero times but we've had arguments. Everyone does.

But what about the details about the break ups? Is it recent? has it be multiple times? are they long break ups? Are the consistent? Are they over serious issues or petty fights? I feel like theres more information that needs to be uncovered and I also feel like talking to a therapist would be a good idea if marriage is in the future before moving with anything.

• M
    Expert October 2021
    Megan ·
    • Flag

Also zero times. I'd definitely reconsider a relationship that had multiple breakups, especially in evaluating an eventual marriage.

• Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    Zero or this thing wouldn't be happening.
  • Jodie
    Expert August 2020
    Jodie ·
    • Flag

We never broke up, but we did take a step back for a month to work on some stuff that we had to fix individually before we could work successfully work together. We used that time to really "date" each other and learn to communicate better. It helped tremendously and we are both better people individually and together for it. Marriage, like any relationship is a partnership and takes a LOT of work on both sides. Everything is not always sunshine and roses...but its about what you do during the crap times that makes or breaks a relationship.

• Samantha
    Devoted December 2019
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    None...but I think the key here is learning how to work through your issues and frustrations constructively instead of just breaking up. Once you are married, breaking up is pretty much divorce... relationship counseling might be helpful for the two of you. I’m not sure I would keep planning a wedding until you have a strong foundation.
  • L
    Devoted August 2019
    Leaves232 ·
    • Flag
    Zero times over the course of almost 7 years before we got married.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles