Alexandra
Beginner March 2021

How quickly did you see venues and make a decision?

Alexandra, on May 14, 2019 at 9:24 AM Posted in Planning

I'm back at it because I have so many questions lol

How quickly did you see venues and make a decision? I got engaged on New Years Day and want to get married in March 2021 after I finish grad school, and I have seen 3 venues thus far, have 2 more tours scheduled on the 25th, but then I have 3 more venues on my list that I want to go see. I am nervous that the dates/time frame I want to select as my wedding date are going to all be booked the longer I wait, as I have noticed people are already starting to book their dates for 2021. I have gone with my mom and aunt to see them b/c my fiance is busy with work but I don't want to inconvenience them and rely on them. I should just go by myself right? Take pictures and notes and report back?

Share:

54 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Master November 2019
    Caytlyn ·

We got engaged in February and started touring venues in March. We booked the second venue we saw. I would say including your mom and aunt comes down to how much they want to be involved. If they enjoy wedding planning and touring venues with you, you can always let them know when you have appointments scheduled and they can choose whether or not they want to participate.

• Courtney
    Expert August 2019
    Courtney ·
    I got engaged April 1, 2019, and we toured venues May 8 and booked the first one we toured (after touring the other one too). FH wanted to be a part of the tours, and my parents are paying for the venue so I made sure they both could be there.
    If you’re itching to go, talk with your FH and parents/aunt to see where they stand. If they’re just going to appease you then I don’t think you have to bring them along. If they truly want to be a part of it, I say take them with you. March 2021 is still a bit off so I wouldn’t stress too much just yet.
  • K
    Super November 2019
    Kristin ·

We got engaged in March 2018, started looking at venues in April 2018 and booked at the end of April 2018. We originally were thinking September 2019 but the venue was already booked through the first week of November so we ended up with November 9th. I would book sooner rather than later if your date is important to you, but I also think you have enough time to see all of the places on your list first. We invited both sets of parents to come with us but only his parents were able to make it, so I brought mom back after we booked to see the place. I would definitely extend the invite to your mom and aunt, let them know you don't want them to feel obligated, but that you would love their opinion and company. I don't think many mom's would see a girls day with their daughter planning their wedding would be seen as a burden.

• Future Mrs. K
    VIP June 2019
    Future Mrs. K ·

We got engaged December 2017, started looking at venues in January 2018 and booked ours at the end of that month for our June 2019 wedding. We looked at two other venues before we booked this one.

• Lisa
    Savvy October 2020
    Lisa ·
    We got engaged January 2019 and booked a few weeks later in February. I had a feeling the proposal was coming soon so I had already started scouting out places and resorts. We’re having a destination wedding.
  • Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·

I got engaged in June. We booked the venue in July. Getting married this weekend. (11 month engagement) Since you have almost two years, I'd say you most likely still have plenty of time to book somewhere. I think a lot of people try to book about a year out. I'd keep two dates in mind for when you narrow to the venue you'd like.. if possible.

• Alexandra
    Beginner March 2021
    Alexandra ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I know they want to be a part of it I guess it’s just my nature and of course the 1st time I’m doing this so I’m stressing more than I probably should ☺️
  • Alexandra
    Beginner March 2021
    Alexandra ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I think I have plenty of time just stressed after hearing people are starting to book for 2021 already. But of course this is my 1st time going through this process so I’m probably stressing more than I should ☺️
  • Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    View Quoted Comment

I quickly learned on here not to compare yourself with others. Everyone has different circumstances. I'd just spend the next 2-4 months looking at venues and try to book by the end of summer if you're worried about getting a good venue. There are a lot of great venues around me, but I had to hunt for one a little more because of my budget (I'm paying for 95% of the wedding myself). Have you set a budget yet? Started on a guest list so you know how much seating you'd need in a venue?

• OnCloudRawls
    Rockstar June 2019
    OnCloudRawls ·
    We got engaged August 2017, toured one venue that I absolutely loved and booked with them the same day November 2017. Now, I’m 31 days away from getting married!!! (Yes, it’s been a long engagement! Lol)
  • Alexandra
    Beginner March 2021
    Alexandra ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yea I think that could be my problem is comparing and not taking a breath. My initial thought process is to finish touring venues then crunch the numbers and book something before the end of summer. Yes, we have a budget in mind and I have started making a guest list on my spreadsheet so I have an idea
  • Kelly
    Dedicated October 2019
    Kelly ·
    We got engaged on July 24, 2018, did a tour of our venue in early August & booked an hour later. We loved the venue, everyone was so nice, the venue had amazing reviews & it literally had 1x Saturday afternoon available from Sept - Nov (it didn’t feel staged as the DOC brought out the calendar & told us which days were available).
  • Maggie
    Expert April 2020
    Maggie ·
    We got engaged 2/24 and looked at
    benues the first weekend in March. We had been planning a bit before getting engaged and had just checked diffferent venues on WW and The Knot to see who was in our price range and what was offered along with how it may fit I to our vision. We were able to narrow it down to three venues before even looking at them which was great! We never went to see the third because we LOVED the second one and it had our date and was flexible with time so we booked right there. I let his parents and my parents know when we were going and let them decide if they could come or not. Only his mom came to the first
    one but my mom and his dad also came to the second with us
  • Jennifer
    Devoted October 2019
    Jennifer ·
    We got engaged September 2018, started looking for venues in October, with a wedding date in mind of October 12. We did research first, and then toured four venues together. We made the decision pretty quickly. But we definitely made it together.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    We went venue shopping 13 months before our wedding. We fell in love with our #1 venue on that trip but it took 1-2 months of negotiating & reworking our vision to make it work for our budget. During that time, our first date booked (it was a Monday!) with a corporate event so we quickly chose the Monday before our original date... which ended up being Spring Equinox which was pretty cool.
  • Jess
    Devoted September 2019
    Jess ·

We got engaged July 2017. We began looking at venues in August 2017 for a Sept 2019 wedding. We only looked at 3 venues altogether. After visiting all 3 we thought about them for a little while then decided to go back to the 2nd venue again for another look and at that second visit is when we determined we loved this venue and wanted to choose that venue for our wedding. So we began looking in August 2017 and put down the deposit for the venue in beginning of Nov 2017.

• Melanie
    Savvy February 2020
    Melanie ·

We got engaged in August 2018, looked at two venues in January, and booked ours the week after we saw the second one (it's very popular and we loved it). I went with my fiance and parents because it was important (to me) that we all agreed on the venue.

• Tonia
    Devoted October 2019
    Tonia ·

We started looking at venues in September 2018. We booked the 3rd venue we visited. I will say that they were completely booked for all Saturdays in October but we lucked out by getting the last Sunday left which was Columbus Day weekend.

• Melissa
    Super September 2019
    Melissa ·
    We got engaged August 2018 and knew we wanted a September 2019 wedding so we got to researching fast and booked the 3rd venue we toured exactly a month after our engagement.
  • Erika
    Expert April 2019
    Erika ·
    We got engaged Dec 2017, venue searching/touring Jan 2018 and booked by the end of that month for our April 2019 wedding. I knew April is popular here in Florida so we wanted to have a head start so we had a better choice of dates.

Comment on this discussion